Is a Ketogenic Diet Safe for Weight Loss? on the MFP blog!

Options

Replies

• RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    If so, it's a start! Thx for posting.

It wasn't that long ago, but I can't really remember what my mindset was before I started LCHF, or what sort of general introduction might have been effective without being too simple or TL;DR.

Any thoughts on what to say in a 30-second elevator speech or a short txt?
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I usually say, "I avoid bread, beer or sugary stuff" and then add that it is like Atkins induction.
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    I never lie B)
    I say "I'm on a diet & eat whatever I want."
    I don't go into what I don't want :)

>:) or o:)
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I find it interesting that this is a pretty unbiased article. The one thing that made me raise an eyebrow, though, is that it's not for folks with gallbladder removal??? I've had some adjustments to make, for sure, in overcoming some issues, but these are issues that were underlying in my life regardless of dietary plan... I'll be thinking on this one!
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised they didn't talk about the benefits for diabetics or women suffering with PCOS. Keto & low carb dieting have done wonders for me, I feel so much better eating this way then downing garlic bread and spaghetti for dinner. I mean sure, it tastes better, but I felt like crap afterwards!
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I'm sure the gallbladder issues are an individual thing (just as everything else is too), since I haven't had a problem doing it without a gallbladder. That probably the most common issues they've seen in their research. Good blog information though!
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I had issues the first couple times I tried keto that I think was related to my lack of gallbladder. We're all different. (I'm 6.5 weeks into this attempt, and I'm doing WAY better than last time.)
  • karebear5891
    karebear5891 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I am not going to say I haven't had any issues with not having a gallbladder, but as @KnitOrMiss said, it's not really anything I haven't dealt with before. I have had some nausea, but in listening to the podcast Keto Talk, they recommended if you're having an issue to spread your meals out and make it more of a graze rather than large meals. I find by having spread out my food more, my nausea has gone and I'm doing great with it again. I should also state, I've had stomach/nausea problems my entire life (my poor parents) and no diet I've ever been on has fixed that.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Essentially, I simply can't do the classic Atkins induction diet of red meat, bacon, cheese, eggs and mayo at every meal. It just doesn't work. But some research and help from folks here got me some tips this time.
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting and most of the info was overwhelmingly positive, overall very pleased with the presentation and also great to see that ppl are admitting all of the advice about consuming simple carbs, low fat & sugar wasn't helping very many people.

On that note, think I'll go have an avocado.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I never lie B)
    I say "I'm on a diet & eat whatever I want."
    I don't go into what I don't want :)

>:) or o:)

that's like what I say, my SO asked in the beginning, well what can you eat if we go out to eat. I said, I can eat whatever I want, I chose to eat things that make me feel the best, basically I can find something that works anywhere we go.

I don't think there is any one way of doing low carb/keto that is the right way, it will vary for everyone, you make it what works best for you and helps you reach your goals