Any acorn squash recipe ideas?

Options
cmmdance
cmmdance Posts: 45 Member
I am looking for simple low fat acorn squash recipes?

Replies

• Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    You might try it cut into chunks and steamed till fork-tender. Place some on a microwave-safe plate, dot with butter, and place some cheese on the squash. Microwave till cheese is melted.

Squash would have been part of a veggie plate (servings of 4-5 different veggies, prepared as directed above).
  • _Tink_
    _Tink_ Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I cut it in half and put diced apples in the center with a tiny pad of margarine (a tsp maybe) and a small sprinkle of cinnamon and brown sugar. Maple syrup is also good. Bake until they are tender.
  • cicibeanz
    cicibeanz Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I actually decided I really like it raw...but I'm strange. Mainly I'm commenting to remember to keep track of this thread.
  • mkthav
    mkthav Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I cut mine in half, clean seeds out, wrap in foil and cook in crock pot on high for 4-5 hrs. You could use small amount of butter and brown sugar. I eat mine plain. This is a great way to cook sweet potatoes too. Enjoy..
  • cococa
    cococa Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Acorn squash is a bit on the sweet side, so you're going to want to use ingredients that complement sweet flavors.

Bit of butter or margarine, sprinkle of brown sugar or maple syrup (you could also try honey), and any other spices to taste. Love the idea of stuffing it with apples - you could also add celery and raisins.

I like it with a bit of olive oil, rosemary, and brown sugar, stuffed with some wild rice and ground turkey spiced with cinnamon and cayenne.

It's also great as a soup or bisque with sweet yellow onions, nutmeg, cayenne, and thyme.

Balsamic vinegar, lime juice, or lemon juice would also be great ways to intensify the flavor.