Jam session at my place...

Options
UncleMac
UncleMac Posts: 12,929 Member
Rhubarb Ginger Jam, as a matter of fact...

Does anyone else make preserves or do canning? My parents always have a big garden and put up much of their winter's food so they can control the ingredients. While I don't have the time or energy to do what they do, I do have a nice rhubarb patch and a fruitful plum tree in my backyard.

osc0jffadhv1.jpg

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    My parents garden too. Mom is not into canning, so she freezes her stuff.
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    I've been canning stuff from my garden for about 35 years now. I don't do as much as I used to because our garden is much smaller now than it used to be and our fruit trees are gone...........replaced with a big warehouse in our backyard.

So far this year I've only made apricot jam but will still can zucchini relish and dilly beans sometime this summer. I may have enough tomatoes this year to can as well......we'll see.

Also thinking about some peach jam as we've been buying pretty good peaches for .88 per pound.
  • UncleMac
    Options
    Is there a trick to making jam congeal properly? Mine always ends up loose.

Great price for peaches!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Cs8G_mY8jE
  • luluinca
    Options
    Hmmmmmm, that's happened to me before but not lately. I just follow the directions on the package of pectin. Peach jam has a tendency to be runny in my opinion but I don't know why.

• UncleMac
    Options
    I've seen thick rhubarb ginger jam. Hmmm... what is this "directions" thing of which you speak? lol
  • luluinca
    Options
    I buy boxes of pectin at the store and there are directions on the inside for making different kinds of jam. How much fruit, pectin, sugar, lemon etc. I think some fruits are possibly just too juicy. Also, if I don't follow the directions to the letter, the jam doesn't set.

I can't make jam like I bake by winging it.....LOL
  • Montepulciano
    Montepulciano Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Jam looks yummy and I don't have a garden. Back when I was a kid we had a huge plum tree and my mom made plum butter that we ate all year long. My grandmother always made bread and butter pickles (the sweet kind). I think canning and preserving is becoming a bit of a lost art. Kudos to you that still do it!
  • UncleMac
    Options
    luluinca wrote: »
    I buy boxes of pectin at the store and there are directions on the inside for making different kinds of jam. How much fruit, pectin, sugar, lemon etc. I think some fruits are possibly just too juicy. Also, if I don't follow the directions to the letter, the jam doesn't set.

Most of the time, I'm winging it... Recipes are guidelines, not rules...

On the outside of pectin box, there was a recipe. I guessed at the amount of fruit and sugar. Mind you, it was talking about strawberries and I had rhubarb & ginger...

My rhubarb patch has enough growth for another batch. Although it's contrary to my masculine nature, perhaps I will look for directions on how to make rhubarb jam... :s
  • luluinca
    Options
    UncleMac wrote: »

Most of the time, I'm winging it... Recipes are guidelines, not rules...

On the outside of pectin box, there was a recipe. I guessed at the amount of fruit and sugar. Mind you, it was talking about strawberries and I had rhubarb & ginger...

My rhubarb patch has enough growth for another batch. Although it's contrary to my masculine nature, perhaps I will look for directions on how to make rhubarb jam... :s

Try it, you might like it.....hahaha!
  • UncleMac
    Options
    Try it, you might like it.....hahaha!

Alright... but if I lose my man-card over this, I might cry... :'(
  • luluinca
    Options
    I won't tell anyone.........I promise! :p
  • UncleMac
    Options
    I just poured some of my rhubarb over vanilla frozen yogurt... So yummy...
  • MadDogManor
    MadDogManor Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I have a canner and have been making jars of food for several years. Mostly pickling and some green and yellow beans. My favorite is buying "seconds" tomatoes from the farmers market, boiling them down with basil from my herb garden, and jarring them up. I had about 100 jars one year, almost enough to last all winter!
  • UncleMac
    Options
    My parents make their own version of V8 juice... less salt and a good dose of jalapeno peppers to spark things up.
  • Montepulciano
    Montepulciano Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    My parents make their own version of V8 juice... less salt and a good dose of jalapeno peppers to spark things up.

Add a bit of vodka to it.....
  • luluinca
    Options

Definitely!
  • UncleMac
    Options

The next time I'm visiting, I will suggest that. LOL