True Confessions of Weight Loss Survivors

Options
RowdysLady
RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
So I can't be the only one...

My true confession since starting a new way of eating: I have one bra. I wash it very often. It's missing hooks in the back and doesn't fit right. I've needed new bras for a long time now - actually when I was 20 lbs heavier I needed them but kept saying "I'll lose weight". Which I am..yay me! However...I'm still working with just one day to day bra. I can't bear to go buy new ones now because I'm getting so much closer to my goal weight. And for me a bra isn't some $15.00 job at Wal Mart....it's a $35 and up job from Hanes Bali. I can't just go buy a bra because of my size I need special sizes. So, yep, that's my weight loss true confession - I'm stuck in a broken, wrong sized, have to go without on days I'm at home so I can wash it bra until I meet my goal weight or the final hook and eye gives way...

What's your true confession that you'd never tell people you see face to face but will admit to your loyal online supporters?

Replies

• SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    @rowdy's lady, you made me laugh. It took me a while to conceed the fact they did not fit. Much longer to buy new ones, had to go to USA for my size. Bought 3- black, beige and a fun aqua blue. Cost a lot but nice to be comfortable again. Like you I need a specialty size. If 28 or 30 or even 32 across the back then D cup or bigger can be tricky!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I am in the same exact boat, except I have some special circumstances, and mine run $50 or so each. If I'm lucky, I can get them B2G2F... But that requires special planning. I have one that is functional (barely), two dependent on safety pins and stitches to make the band work, and a few with broken as heck underwire that will brutally attack you at the slightest provocation...and those are either too large in the band/cup or depending on safety pins to stay on and in one piece...

And oh, goodness, I can probably write a novel on the travesties. I'm holding together 2 pair of jeans with a wing and a prayer atm. SIGH
  • becwana
    becwana Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I am going to treat myself to some expensive lovely bras that hold everything where it *should* be once my weight loss journey is over and I've stopped breastfeeding - I currently rotate 4 nursing bras that are all now way too big!!!
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of weight to lose, so I've taken to buying a bra a size smaller than needed and using an extender (or two).

OP-- I do the same thing with jeans! Two pair, I'll wear one for most of the week. I went rummage sale shopping at the start of May and managed to find a couple pair every-other size, that should get me through several months.

I hate shopping, too! Luckily I have a good friend who loves spending money-- she picks out the clothes for me, I try them on, and buy whatever's comfortable. I physically/ mobility-wise have trouble shopping, so it's great to have her do all the running around to find the right size!
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I haven't been buying clothes very often because I'm losing weight and even faster, inches. It seems like all the jeans and denim type clothes have some amount of spandex in them. Spandex used to be my friend. Now it's the enemy. I wore a pair of denim capris twice from old navy and they got stretched out. My belt is actually too big on me. The tightest hole is too loose. So I can pull them off without undoing them. I washed and dried them on hot and they're still big, need a belt, have 2 bandanas tied together right now to hold them up. Same for my shorts. I have one pair of shorts and one pair of capris that fit this way. My drawstring shorts and capris are so big I can't tie them tight enough around me.
    I don't want to buy anything else till I'm smaller so I'm just constantly pulling things up.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    darlswife wrote: »
    I haven't been buying clothes very often because I'm losing weight and even faster, inches. It seems like all the jeans and denim type clothes have some amount of spandex in them. Spandex used to be my friend. Now it's the enemy. I wore a pair of denim capris twice from old navy and they got stretched out. My belt is actually too big on me. The tightest hole is too loose. So I can pull them off without undoing them. I washed and dried them on hot and they're still big, need a belt, have 2 bandanas tied together right now to hold them up. Same for my shorts. I have one pair of shorts and one pair of capris that fit this way. My drawstring shorts and capris are so big I can't tie them tight enough around me.
    I don't want to buy anything else till I'm smaller so I'm just constantly pulling things up.

I bought jeans from American Eagle and the same thing has happened to me. Waste of money!
  • MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    The last time I bought bras was online from Kohl's. They have more styles in the big girl sizes online than in the store. I ordered six, two of them actually fit, and I took the other four back to the store. The credit hit my account before I even got the bill. :)

I wish you could do that with underwear, but alas, no returns allowed. So I'm wearing holey granny panties, too!
  • redimock
    redimock Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    PamamaJane wrote: »
    This sure makes me feel blessed. I actually have two bras that fit reasonably well. I'm sure hoping I can take them in if needed and not have to buy anything new until I'm at goal weight. Bras are so terribly expensive.

My dream is to be able to buy new bras at eye level. Yes, eye level. Did you ever wonder why the 32-A and 32-B bras are all up at eye level where the slim and trim gals can easily see their sizes and the 44-C and 46-D bras are down by the floor where we larger ladies have to bend and stoop and get down on the floor to find them? Like I said, I'm wanting to buy bras a eye level.

Ha - I never realized that! Probably because at this point I have to buy my bras online or in a specialty shop (38GG). My dream is to buy a bra that comes in more colors than black, white, and nude! :smile:
  • karebear5891
    karebear5891 Posts: 141 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    One of the things about wearing scrubs for work is that there's a lot of room for error. At my hospital my scrub tops were starting to get a little tight. Now they fit better and hopefully soon will be a little loose. I've seen people with weight loss go to wearing their scrubs on the very loose side. I think I will do that b/c it's not cheap to buy bulk scrubs! Plus, my pants are drawstring, so I can tighten them up that way, too. For bras, I'm used to having to buy bras very regular, b/c I seem to wreck them, so it's not a big deal. All my bras still fit me well, thankfully.

(edited to fix me typing hospital as highway, whaaaaat?)
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    These stories are awesome and I needed the smiles. I'm glad I could make some of you laugh with my woes too!! :D
  • KetoLady86
    KetoLady86 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    i have holey granny panties. theyre actually fairly new but the waist band was a bit snug so i stretched them and they tore. i will continue wearing the holey granny panties. im just a granny bloomer type of girl.

Lol- I love my grannies too...I went to a new store they just opened (DDs Discount) they have some cute granny panties..and cheap. Lol- I cant wear just any ol drawers!