Ketogenic and LCHF are the same?

hellonew2015
hellonew2015 Posts: 327 Member
I did Keto last year, but low carb high fat is it the same as going in Ketosis? please elaborate. I know there are info on the internet bu I wanted to post here to learn from your experience with it.

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Keto is LCHF but LCHF is not necessarily Keto.

Keto generally refers to 50g of carbs or less, whereas LCHF can refer to more than that - but still be considered low carb.

"All thumbs are fingers, but not all fingers are thumbs."
  • hellonew2015
    Keto is LCHF but LCHF is not necessarily Keto.

Keto generally refers to 50g of carbs or less, whereas LCHF can refer to more than that - but still be considered low carb.

"All thumbs are fingers, but not all fingers are thumbs."

What are LCHF macros range? Thank you!
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    The LCHF macro range varies from person to person - try this calculator and play with the numbers to see what you get: http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    LCHF doesn't necessarily have a macro range. LCHF usually focuses on choosing intake to satiety from certain foods.
    This site gives a good overview:
    http://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb
  • hellonew2015
    Thank you! Do you count calories? I know I did not when I was on Keto.
  • Cryren8972
    Cryren8972 Posts: 142 Member
    edited June 2016
    I've seen some keto diets use higher proteins and lower fats. From what I understand, when you see a ketogenic diet, it is merely referring to a diet that keeps you in ketosis, and can be different in terms of how you go about doing that.
    Low Carb High Fat is a ketogenic diet that focuses on fat being your main source of energy, because proteins and carbs are both converted to glucose.
  • hellonew2015
    Cryren8972 wrote: »
    I've seen some keto diets use higher proteins and lower fats. From what I understand, when you see a ketogenic diet, it is merely referring to a diet that keeps you in ketosis, and can be different in terms of how you go about doing that.
    Low Carb High Fat is a ketogenic diet that focuses on fat being your main source of energy, because proteins and carbs are both converted to glucose.

I have been only counting calories in the last 8 months with carbs are the least consumed and I am thinking to try LCHF. But I do not want the extreme Ketosis, I like to try High fat, my focus now is high protein to avoid muscle loss and achieve satiaty so I am not sure at this point.