have you decreased your Metformin dose?...c'mere please =)

Options
hookilau
hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
I started out at 750 mg of extended release at around 150#'s. Never had much in the way of intestinal distress, and it was early in my Dx.

I ended up increasing to double the dose @ 1500 mg daily, I didn't have any problems to speak of until I hit around the 18# loss mark. That's when I started to wonder what new fresh hell is THIS?....2 days ago I cut my dose in 1/2 and went back to the original 750 mg once a day in the evening.

No more ::ahem:: side effects and so far, my BG's are not affected either. I'm hoping it stays this way & not to get ahead of myself, wondering if I can look forward to decreasing further as I approach my goal weight, somewhere around 120-125#. As far as my Endo, he does what I tell him to do :laugh:

Have you been able to decrease your Metformin dose?...If so, how did it go?

Replies

• Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I decreased in the beginning when I couldn't deal with the side effects. I cut the pills in half (they weren't the timed release kind) until I got used to them. When my Dr. upped my dose from 1000 mg a day to 2000 mg a day, I started having the same side effects. Again, I cut the pills in half until I got used to the dosage and then went back to taking the right dosage. No more side effects since. Weight loss, in my case, had nothing to do with side effects.

The Metformin aids in weight loss so I don't want to stop taking it and my Dr. is fine with that. I am nervous about going off it, though. Since I have been on it, I have been "regular". You can only eat so much fiber and I don't want to have to rely on laxatives when I go off it.
  • hookilau
    Options
    I decreased in the beginning when I couldn't deal with the side effects. I cut the pills in half (they weren't the timed release kind) until I got used to them. When my Dr. upped my dose from 1000 mg a day to 2000 mg a day, I started having the same side effects. Again, I cut the pills in half until I got used to the dosage and then went back to taking the right dosage. No more side effects since. Weight loss, in my case, had nothing to do with side effects.

The Metformin aids in weight loss so I don't want to stop taking it and my Dr. is fine with that. I am nervous about going off it, though. Since I have been on it, I have been "regular". You can only eat so much fiber and I don't want to have to rely on laxatives when I go off it.

I have the same concerns... :wink: Thanks for your input... :drinker:
    So far, it seems if I can keep my BG's reasonably low, the weight comes off reliably. I'm hoping that decreasing the Met isn't going to bite me in the butt :wink:
  • tracygolden
    tracygolden Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    First , I couldn't handle the side affects of the regular metformin so I went to the time released and that helped.

I decreased after my last A1C but I have seen slightly higher numbers so Im not sure if I will have to go back to my original dose. Will have to wait till the next A1C.

Best of luck to u !
  • JoyceMccormack1958
    JoyceMccormack1958 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    My dosage of metformin has been cut from 3,000 mg a day to 2,000; so far the side effects have been positive ones - I don't have to stay within sprinting distance of the bathroom. As I'm a teacher that's pretty useful as abandoning a class in mid sentence, dashing along a corridor, leaping up a flight of stairs and struggling with an ill- fitting key in order to acess the staff 'restroom' desperately crossing my fingers and tightly clenching my nether cheeks isn't a good way for a mature and respected (I wish) female to behave. Bathroom sprinting, or toilet dashing should be on the list of recognised exercises; sprinting or walking just doesn't cover the complexity of the task!
    Seriously I am feeling much better, my daily readings are generally around 6.5 so that's fine. This morning even though I forgot to take my evening tablets 2 x 500 mg my bg meter was still only registering 8.4 so I was happy with that. I even had three biscuits yesterday, I went shopping before dinner and got tired and cranky and fell for the 'I need something sweet' myth. I just need to get my act back together, I've lost about a third of what I need to lose and have hit a brick wall in terms of motivation. Most of the MFP friends I started out with have hit their goals, are dropping out or don't log in on a regular basis anymore. I tend to get side tracked! I want to get my dosage down even further as 2,000mg is still one hell of a dose for anyone's system to have to cope with. So I need to lose more of this subcutaneous blubber that I'm still hanging on to.
  • JoyceMccormack1958
    JoyceMccormack1958 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    My dosage of metformin has been cut from 3,000 mg a day to 2,000; so far the side effects have been positive ones - I don't have to stay within sprinting distance of the bathroom. As I'm a teacher that's pretty useful as abandoning a class in mid sentence, dashing along a corridor, leaping up a flight of stairs and struggling with an ill- fitting key in order to acess the staff 'restroom' desperately crossing my fingers and tightly clenching my nether cheeks isn't a good way for a mature and respected (I wish) female to behave. Bathroom sprinting, or toilet dashing should be on the list of recognised exercises; sprinting or walking just doesn't cover the complexity of the task!
    Seriously I am feeling much better, my daily readings are generally around 6.5 so that's fine. This morning even though I forgot to take my evening tablets 2 x 500 mg my bg meter was still only registering 8.4 so I was happy with that. I even had three biscuits yesterday, I went shopping before dinner and got tired and cranky and fell for the 'I need something sweet' myth. I just need to get my act back together, I've lost about a third of what I need to lose and have hit a brick wall in terms of motivation. Most of the MFP friends I started out with have hit their goals, are dropping out or don't log in on a regular basis anymore. I tend to get side tracked! I want to get my dosage down even further as 2,000mg is still one hell of a dose for anyone's system to have to cope with. So I need to lose more of this subcutaneous blubber that I'm still hanging on to.
  • hookilau
    Options
    First , I couldn't handle the side affects of the regular metformin so I went to the time released and that helped.

I decreased after my last A1C but I have seen slightly higher numbers so Im not sure if I will have to go back to my original dose. Will have to wait till the next A1C.

Best of luck to u !

Thank you as well for your input :wink:
    I've been experimenting like the d!ickens so I'm taking a few supplements that helped me get lower numbers & keep them consistent.

This being said, I'm not fully convinced they're not a bunch of hooey but the last thing I want to do is upset the apple cart, sooooo yeah, first trying to cut out the Met. :ohwell:

My 2nd A1C is due in about 3 weeks, my first one was a whopping 9.9, so I'm hopeful I'll see a lower number.
  • hookilau
    Options

LOL!! that was a very entertaining read!...I feel your pain about the sprinting, that was happening to me too =/
    I ended up having conversations with myself trying to decide whether or not I was about to need an emergency run to the bathroom or if it was just a passing pain...

Thanks again for sharing :wink:
  • tracygolden
    tracygolden Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    hookilau- that was hilarous and so true cause Im a teacher too and Ive done everything but the stairs (cause we don't have stairs) U did leave out a part though (that I at least had dealt with) those aggravating buttons that seem to get stuck when u are trying to make it there in time. Our school nurse told me to add bananas to my diet to off set some of the effects of the metformin sprint but that raised my bgl!
  • cheryl3660
    cheryl3660 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I'm probably not the best example of what to do, but I stopped taking mine completely. Cold turkey. Without talking to my doctor. I was only on the 500mg extended release, and my diabetes has mostly been fairly well managed with a low carb diet, so I didn't have any of the noted side effects. I don't recommend anyone doing this without talking to their doctor, but I felt OK making this decision because over the past 15 years my A1C has remained mostly steady at 6.4/6.5 when I stick to a traditional low carb diet. In the past year I had gotten way off track with my eating, stress and lack of exercise, however, and my A1C jumped up to 7.4. Needless to say my doctor wasn't pleased and let me know. Lol. I figured a few months off the Metformin would be fine in the big scheme of things since my readings weren't extremely high. If they didn't come down enough, I could always start taking it again.

At the time I stopped taking it, I had decided to start following a Ketogenic diet to control my blood sugar and I wanted my lab readings to be all mine and not what I can achieve from taking meds. I wanted to know what this way of eating would truly do for me and how I would manage my diabetes (and cholesterol, etc.) with it. I did let my doctor know after my first labwork in March and she was fine with my decision although she said I could continue to take them if I chose to since they should help with the weight loss. I haven't noticed any help with them in that regard in the years I've taken them, so I didn't start taking them again. My A1C went from 7.4 in December to to 6.7 in March (2 weeks into the Ketogenic diet) and 6.1 last month (4 months later). As I continue to get healthy and drop this weight, I hope to bring it down even lower.

Glad to hear that lowering your dose has helped with your side effects and I wish you luck in being able to continue to lower your dose until you don't need it any longer, too!
  • mclgo
    mclgo Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    After 1.5 months of MFP, wheat-free eating, and great exercise, my doc dropped mine from 500mg twice a day to 250mg twice a day. I cut my pills in half now.

I never noticed any side effects from the Metformin.

Good luck!
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    I started on 500 mg twice a day in May 2012......am still on 500 mg twice a day now.
    My A1C dropped from 6.9 to 5.7 & thankfully have never had any adverse effects from taking it.
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I started with 500 mg Met 2x/day and an A1c of 7.3. I had minor digestive issues that resolved in a few weeks.

After 6 months, my A1c was 5.5, but despite LCHF and exercise, I was still struggling to get my FBG below 100, so I increased to 500mg/1000mg Met per day. Again, I had minor digestive issues for the first 2 weeks after the increase.

After 1 year, my A1c was 5.2 and my FBG was pretty consistently below 100. Endo suggested reducing back down to 500mg/500mg Met per day and re-checking in 3 months. I continued to eat LCHF and increased cardio to 1 hour per day consistently.

In May, I had another normal A1c (5.2 again) and quit taking Metformin completely. Peak readings remain below 140, PPs are almost always back below 100 and I've had very few FBG's over 100. I've continued the LCHF and 1 hour of cardio daily, but also added in 3 hour long strength-training sessions per week. My next A1c will be in August - if it is above 5.4, I will resume the Met.