Sore....like really sore

Options
britzzie
britzzie Posts: 341 Member
NewB to heavy lifting, so if I say something off-base, just let me know!

I'm not new to muscle soreness. I actually really like it.

But after Workout A1 of NROLFW (Monday) my quads have been more sore than they've ever been. So tight that walking down stairs is scary and getting off the toilet is an act of valor.

I did Workout B2 today. After my warmup, my quads felt a lot better. I know how to treat the soreness. (Heat, keep moving, foam roller, stretching).

My question is...should I make an adjustment to A2 when I do it Friday, so I don't get sore like this again?

I believe the culprit was either the squat or step up.

Here's what I did for each of those:

Squat:
30lbs/15reps
30lbs/15 reps

Step Ups:
20lbs/15reps 12 inch step (This was waaaay easy so then I did...)
50lbs/15reps 6 inch step (Big jump. I know. I need some more equipment. My plates jump from 10 to 25lbs. Was able to maintain form, as far as I know.

Immediately after the workout, I thought that I had challenged myself appropriately and was going to do everything just about the same for A2. With being so sore though, I'm wondering if I should lighten something up? If so, what?

Thanks for any input, guys!!

Replies

• AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    If you didn't have an issue lifting the weight then why would you modify? Keep going the course and treat your DOMs as you know you should and they'll go away in a couple of workouts.

Move
    Drink
    Heat
    Protein
    Stretch
    Massage
  • jsextrasmooth
    jsextrasmooth Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Day 2 is the worst! Don't make an adjustment unless your form is suffering, your body will soon get used to the new exercises, then you'll be worrying because you're not getting DOMS and think maybe you're not working hard enough!

Take an extra rest day if your legs feel they need it, I know I had to when I first started out (I'm on Stage 7 and love this program). The most important part is to ensure you're properly warmed up and that you stretch after your workout. Also try to keep your protein intake up to assist with muscle repair. Welcome to NROL4W :smile:
  • delaniecastillo
    Options
    Same thing happened to me. I had never had that amount of lactic acid buildup. Oddly enough, it was around my period coming so I wonder if that played a part...

Took two days off and went back to normal.
  • britzzie
    Options
    Yay!! Exactly the answer I wanted to hear. Thanks, guys!!
  • LuvtheCubs
    LuvtheCubs Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Same thing happened to me. It took a week for that bad soreness to go away.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    My experience has been that DOMS is always worse after the first workouts of each stage. Once you get the initial A and B workout in, the soreness is not as bad on subsequent workouts.

I pretty much work through DOMS, but I will take a rest day for actual joint pain or muscle strains because I've found that they nag and linger otherwise.
  • chuckles9189
    chuckles9189 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    then you'll be worrying because you're not getting DOMS and think maybe you're not working hard enough!

this.
  • teachmom32
    teachmom32 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    My experience has been that DOMS is always worse after the first workouts of each stage. Once you get the initial A and B workout in, the soreness is not as bad on subsequent workouts.

Agree with this totally. Started stage 2 this week and DOMS are back full force. I have this weird pain right below my ribs in my upper abs. OUCH! Hurts to sneeze...hoping that goes away soon!
  • britzzie
    Options
    Thanks for your input, everyone!!

The DOMS in my quads is (almost) gone, and my hamstrings didn't suffer nearly as bad afterB-1. (Does that mean I didn't work hard enough?! LOL!!)

Felt so much better (and a bit froggy) this morning, so I even added 5lbs to my squat. Left those step-ups alone though.
  • stac3ymac
    stac3ymac Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    First post over here!

Had to jump in because my best friend and I have been working out together and went through the same thing. I don't think a single word other than "my legs are killlliiinnnggg meeeeeeee" came out of my mouth for a solid week. Halfway through stage 1, believe it or not, we were starting to miss the DOMS! Even though it isn't true, for some reason you feel as though you got a better work out if you're in pain the next day. :)

Cheers!
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Step Ups:
    50lbs/15reps 6 inch step (Big jump. I know. I need some more equipment. My plates jump from 10 to 25lbs. Was able to maintain form, as far as I know.

Your step is too small. Mine is bench height. See this video as an example - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmgJAQqIiK4
  • britzzie
    Options
    Step Ups:

Your step is too small. Mine is bench height. See this video as an example - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmgJAQqIiK4

Yea I kinda figured that. Unfortunately, the only thing I have to work with are actual steps and while the first step is definitely too low, the next one up seems high.

I think I'm going to build my own box.... So that should be interesting....