Seek Blood Work?

Options
Let me start by saying I am feeling so much more hopeful after reading the threads in the Group. Thank you! I have lost 80 pounds over 4 years cutting carbs and monitoring my calorie intake. My weight has stalled for a year! (145 lbs and 35% body fat) I have recently (3 weeks) been restricting carbs to 20g or less and there has been no weight loss. I have learned from other posts that I am likely eating way too much protein (112 g). My question is do you think it is warranted or useful to get blood work done? Not sure what I would ask for or it would be helpful.

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    At age 65 I get an annual wellness physical.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    How tall are you? And how are you measuring your body fat%? 112 probably isn't too much protein in general, unless it's keeping you from eating other things. How many calories total are you eating?

Getting some basic thyroid, lipids, etc. tested isn't very expensive in comparison to some things. But maybe you're just not in a caloric deficit, and that's why you aren't losing weight.
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    My endo tests my blood every 4 to 6 months, he shares the results
    with my reg doctor & me :) Last time they drew 8 vials.

>:) or o:)
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I don't know if blood work will help determine how to quick start loss again, but it's never a bad idea to know your baselines for general blood work. I'd go have a physical and ask for the "normal" work up. Lipids, CBC, etc. However, I've read a lot of stuff here about protein intake and the responses vary but overall my take away is unless you have glucose/insulin resistance issues then protein intake probably doesn't matter a whole lot. I have also read that people tend to slow down as they get closer to goal and sometimes you need a quick start such as decreasing dairy or increasing movement. I'm still new and learning, but these have been my overall take aways.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I would go at least once a year for your wellness check and blood work. You'll want to get a lipid panel done (shows a breakdown of HDL/LDL and triglycerides) but you'll also want to check your iron levels or anything else that has been low in the past.

Since people eating a low carb diet tend to eat a good amount of fat, your "good" cholesterol count might be so high it pushes your overall cholesterol levels up but that's ok, focus on how the three types break down and don't focus on the total counts too much.

https://labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/lipid/tab/test/
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Lipid panel, CBC, and a basic chemistry panel would be a great measurement in the beginning.

I get labs drawn every year, and after over a year of eating this way the lab results have been normal, and cholesterol numbers are better than ever (but they weren't ever bad enough to need medication, thankfully!)!

Welcome to the group, btw!! Congratulations on your very first post on MFP too!!