My first "converts" lol

Options
genmon00
genmon00 Posts: 604 Member
Hello All!
Good news to share! In my family, literally everyone has diabetes type 2. When i mean everyone, its everyone. Grandparents, parents, aunts, uncles and even their spouses :( Its a terrible genetic defect coupled with a strong starchy mexican food diet of potatos, rice and beans (along with tortillas) at every meal.
As you know, I have been on the LC journey for about a month and half now, and I eat breakfast daily at my mothers. She has TD2, along with my stepfather. She has noticed how i have lost weight and how am i eating. Recently she began to ask me questions like what do you eat? Can you eat fruit? Etc, etc. I try not to force my WOE on others, but I believe results will speak for themselves. Well, today she told me that her and my stepdad are now no longer eating tortillas and are trying to go LC. I havent sold her on the HF yet but I think she will eventually get there. I know this WOE will help her feel better and cut some of the medications she is taking. Just wanted to share with you guys I am very happy and excited. I hope the rest of my family will take this up too. :)

Replies

• ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Hey that's awesome...keep up the great work of being a terrific role-model for them to follow! Wishing you and ALL of yours the best health possible!
  • anewlifeat40
    anewlifeat40 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    It's so great to have family support!
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    That's wonderful! I wish my extended family would get on board too! They have to make up their own minds though, and can't be forced into it!
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Yay!!! Great news. I'm in your court with not pushing but hoping others see it....especially my daughters.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I'm working on my best friend/roommate now. It's just a lot more difficult to figure out how I can ease him into it, as I love all things cheese for fat intake, and he has serious lactose issues. He tried one of the jalapeno poppers I made last night, and just from that little bit of cream cheese, he was gassy and bleh for half of the day.
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Take it from me, if a person is lactose intolerant, don't try to get that person to ingest lactose products .....now there are pills etc that supply the lactase enzyme---but I don't know ONE man willing to chew Lactaid so he can then digest cheese products.

My girlfriends, however, carry Lactaid in their handbags in order to eat cheese, Ice cream...
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    Oh, definitely not. He ate it of his own volition, assuming that the small amount wouldn't affect him. Now I have to figure out something involving no cheese that his whiny *kitten* will like. It's like trying to feed a child.
    He's largely butthurt because age finally started catching up with him, and he can no longer stuff his face with Cap'n Crunch and McDonald's all day without getting fat and feeling like hell.

I was always the fat friend, but he and I now weigh the exact same, and I'm about six inches taller than he is.
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    @Gallowmere1984

Excellent , you're making great progress, I think my diary is open ---you can maybe get an idea or two for him but not sure, I find that one tbl spoon of heavy cream/Kerry Gold butter , doesn't have any of the impact that normal dairy used to have.

As far as the foods, i.e. what I eat is the EZ way to do this , so far I haven't been moved to convert one regular recipe to HF/LC . So j go to Wendy's or McDonalds , really anywhere and add bacon to the burger with extra pickles - that's it and then throw the bun away. Every now & again, I will order " no bun" .... it works too.

Hopefully he can part with his breakfast cereals, a world of yummy bacon is waiting for him, often for breakfast I eat bacon, pickles and "heavy" tea. So easy
    he has seen what you're doing, so he might be motivated- GL
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    I feel like the biggest hump is going to be getting him over the "eat like the poor" habit that he developed while unemployed. Yeah, I know keto can be pulled off on the cheap (I've done it), but convincing someone with his eating habits that offal is a good idea, would be a tough sell.