Day 22 - The first hard day

Options
Kimo159
Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
I started keto on Jun 2. I've felt really awesome on it, no cravings so to speak, loving the food, strength is down slightly in the gym but it's slowly building back up....BUT last night was the first hard evening, the first time I looked at my boyfriend eating girl guide cookies and thought to myself "Man, I want one of those...". I didn't do it though! Today I'm feeling the same though. Thoughts of carb heavy foods have been dancing in my head, "maybe just one cheat meal this weekend as a reward" says the devil on my shoulder, then the rational side of me pipes up and says it's not worth it. Think of how much better you're feeling! I've been really tired this week. Last night I was so exhausted I didn't want to do anything after the gym. I know I'm still fighting off a virus that I've had for about a month now but yesterday and today I've been excessively tired. Does anyone else get like this when they're tired?

Sorry for the long winded post. I guess I just want to talk it out with some like minded individuals...because I know if I try to talk it out with anyone else in my life I'll just get the spiel about I probably feel like this because I'm keto and how carbs are important, etc.

Replies

• Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I do periodically have days where my strength feels down, and I get fatigued much, much easier. It's a bone-deep sort of fatigue, not the usual "I'm a little overworked". Typically for me, dehydration, insufficient electrolytes, and/or inadequate sleep are culprits. I like to take in extra sodium and potassium if I feel that way, and it's usually helpful.

With the cravings... for me, they come and go. Mostly they stay away, but I have moments! I've found having an alternative in the house that I can eat is very helpful. I keep a Quest bar or two around, as well as a sugar free milk chocolate and almond bar, and sugar free pudding. When I'm craving something sweet, one of those goodies does the trick.

Hang in there! It gets easier, and you're doing amazing.
  • Kimo159
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I've been pretty good about electrolytes (so I think). I use regular and potassium salt very liberally and I supplement magnesium (citrate) as well. But perhaps I just don't have enough. I'm going to make myself some ketoade and get some more sodium and potassium. Hopefully that helps.

I'll also look into keeping some alternatives in the house/in the office.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    You truly can't get enough sodium just by salting your foods. There's no way you'd be able to get 4000-5000mg a day that way. And you probably need even more than that if you dink a lot of water, sweat or exercise.
    I like pickles and even drink the juice.
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    Tbh, I told myself last night if I'm at our close to goal on Thanksgiving, I'll indulge in that meal with dessert.

That's probably playing with fire, as well.
  • anewlifeat40
    anewlifeat40 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Where are you in your cycle? I started May 26th... did great too till day 26... Then chocolate and PMS won... Then my period started the next morning. LOL
  • Kimo159
    Options
    You truly can't get enough sodium just by salting your foods. There's no way you'd be able to get 4000-5000mg a day that way. And you probably need even more than that if you dink a lot of water, sweat or exercise.

I'm probably way low then! I work out 4-5x per week and I sweat like crazy when I do (more so since starting keto, haha!). And I do drink a lot of water. I'm not sure I could do pickle juice but I can definitely do broth with salt added to it. I'm also fine with licking it off the back of my hand.
  • Kimo159
    Options
    Tbh, I told myself last night if I'm at our close to goal on Thanksgiving, I'll indulge in that meal with dessert.

That's probably playing with fire, as well.

I like the idea of setting a "cheat" in the future provided you meet a goal. It probably helps a lot to keep you on track in the moments you are wanting to cheat? Maybe when you've hit thanksgiving you'll want to indulge in a keto dessert instead.
  • Kimo159
    Options
    Where are you in your cycle? I started May 26th... did great too till day 26... Then chocolate and PMS won... Then my period started the next morning. LOL

Haha! I would have thought that! But I'm mid cycle so I don't even have that excuse! TOM can be such a jerk sometimes. I actually didn't get any cravings at TOM this time around, first time in a while. In fact it was one of the easiest ones I've had since I went off the pill 7 months ago. Coincidence?
  • genmon00
    genmon00 Posts: 604 Member
    Options

LOVE this! im a salt freak! Going to get me some pickles and saladitos (salted dried prunes) I wonder what their carb count is??
  • genmon00
    genmon00 Posts: 604 Member
    Options

LOVE this! im a salt freak! Going to get me some pickles and saladitos (salted dried prunes) I wonder what their carb count is??[/quote]

ZERO CARBS for saladitos!! omg im so happy! going to run out and get some on my break lol!
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    When I first began this woe I read of some drinking pickle juice, and thought it sounded nasty. Then, during a very low energy day, I decided to try it, and oh my, the energy boost was amazing! It definitely opened my eyes to what my body was needing! This was when I truly began looking at food as fuel!

As @Sunny_Bunny_ said, supplementation is vital to maintaining energy levels! I now use sodium tablets (hate the taste of salt!), and stay in a good place with them!
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    When my daughter baked homemade cookies the other night they smelled SOOO good baking and I was craving them like crazy. I ate my weight in sugar free Hershey Special Dark bars but I didn't give in. I posted here and felt way better but boy was it tough...something about that familiar aroma, you know? The cookies are still on the table in the dining room and I've not wanted a single one since they came out of the oven. I can't say that being tired, whether from a lack of electrolytes or lack of sleep causes me to feel "weak" in the area of cheating but lots of people swear by the increase in electrolytes to stave off cravings. Good Luck!
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    ^^^^hahahahaha! Sounds like what would happen to me.
  • JennyJStewart
    JennyJStewart Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have days like this out of the blue: weak, tired, jittery, moody, achy. Like has been said, it usually is PM's, but I also think it is detoxing -like another level of the keto-flu. I drink tea (hot or iced) and I find it helps kill cravings and gives me something to do. It helps up my fluids, and I also up my salts and minerals.
  • CaliforniaAJ
    CaliforniaAJ Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    5 months in, I have had days (thankfully few) where I felt I could have eaten ANYTHING & EVERYTHING! How do I resist?
    Firstly, I am on this journey with my husband, and cheating on this feels like I would be cheating on him. Betraying his trust and faith in me.
    Secondly, I have taken this time and put in the effort to be in Ketosis and balance my body into this efficient fat burning machine. Why, oh why, would I mess with that?
    I would not, under any circumstances, no matter how bad the craving, eat something high carb! There are foods that I know I will never eat again in my life, and I am happy to know that. I feel amazing, I look amazing, my life is fantastic.
  • Kimo159
    Options
    I hit a plateau and decided to cheat. My husband had these custard fill doughnuts he had been eating for breakfast. He needs to gain weight and he eats whatever he wants. They had chocolate glazing and looked sooo good. So, I grabbed one and took a big bite....then I spit it out gagging. He had left them out and had not refrigerated them. The custard cream had gone bad and it tasted awful.

I thought of it as a sign and went back on my diet. Sigh....

Oh my...ick! Well that would probably make you a lot less likely to cheat in the future.
  • Kimo159
    Options
    RowdysLady wrote: »
    When my daughter baked homemade cookies the other night they smelled SOOO good baking and I was craving them like crazy. I ate my weight in sugar free Hershey Special Dark bars but I didn't give in. I posted here and felt way better but boy was it tough...something about that familiar aroma, you know? The cookies are still on the table in the dining room and I've not wanted a single one since they came out of the oven. I can't say that being tired, whether from a lack of electrolytes or lack of sleep causes me to feel "weak" in the area of cheating but lots of people swear by the increase in electrolytes to stave off cravings. Good Luck!

Oh man, fresh baked cookie smell would be hard. That's awesome that you stayed on course!