Anyone see the blog about low blood pressure?

Options
Sunny_Bunny_
Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
Also known as Keto Flu in these parts. :wink:

http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/3-signs-might-low-blood-pressure/?bb=disable

"Don't be stingy with the salt"

Not really sure how the recommendations for exercise and such are supposed to help, but they pretty much tell you that no matter what the complaint is. Lol

Replies

• LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    We are experiencing a major shift in attitudes towards HF/LC woe, very interesting.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Interesting. But I'm confused. How is keto flu related to low blood pressure?? I know that some folks can have it, but for folks with high blood pressure AND keto flu (before supplementing, etc), the correlation doesn't make sense??
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    Low sodium that creates low blood volume causing the light headed feeling upon standing is low blood pressure.
    It doesn't mean everyone gets low blood pressure, but pretty much everyone gets low-ER blood pressure. I actually don't recall anyone ever mentioning it going hover over the past year I've been reading along here.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Mine was managed level with medicine, before low carb, but being low carb, I sometimes get close to borderline low blood pressure, but sometimes it is steadily higher than my normal rate, but I think it likely has more to do with my hormone fluctuations than actually BP issues. Just another reason to get back on my iodine supplements (since they help drive down the bad estrogens and increase the good ones, etc. - and play a part in reducing estrogen dominance, as I learned today. LOL
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    The cause for low blood pressure can be an over-active vagus nerve. In that case, salt, exercise, adequate sleep and very high hydration can slow that nerves responses. There's also medication for it, midodrine is the most common. It's not at all the same as keto-flu, as electrolyte imbalance is typically only a small part of the cause. It comes with dysautonomia often times.

Yes, I have it and take medication/eat tons of salt/super hydrate/etc to control it so I don't faint. ;)
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    I wasn't saying that low blood pressure is always a Keto flu thing, or that Keto flu is always a low blood pressure thibg.
    I was pointing out that there is a connection to the need for sodium with the symptoms like feeling light headed upon standing that is caused by low blood pressure from fluid loss resulting in low blood volume.
    Not saying the chronic condition of low blood pressure is Keto flu...
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    The cause for low blood pressure can be an over-active vagus nerve. In that case, salt, exercise, adequate sleep and very high hydration can slow that nerves responses. There's also medication for it, midodrine is the most common. It's not at all the same as keto-flu, as electrolyte imbalance is typically only a small part of the cause. It comes with dysautonomia often times.

Yes, I have it and take medication/eat tons of salt/super hydrate/etc to control it so I don't faint. ;)

I have issues with the vagal response and my BP runs low. I had a bunch of cardiac testing again lately and when the cardiologist was going over my results, he started with, "Remember, salt is your friend. And stay hydrated." ;)
    I did have a touch of keto flu, too, but the advice here helped me combat it.
  • dmariet116
    dmariet116 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    My blood pressure has always ran low. Very common for me to get dizzy upon standing, especially when eating at a deficit. Increasing sodium has helped with that a lot!!!
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Just to encourage myself to liberally salt my food, i purchased the Himilayan Pink salt...am not saying that it's a necessary purchase but do recommend it as an option for adding salt to your diet.
    Prior to beginning this WOE, i'm one who almost never added salt to foods, pepper yes..but now am happy with salting beef, veg, chicken and homemade pork sausage patties. My "midnight" snack is pickles or a cup of boullion.

Thanks again @Sunny_Bunny_ for bringing the article to our attention, i would not have noticed otherwise.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I have naturally low bp, keto made it unbearable for me, no amount of sodium fixed it especially the second time keto, it seemed to be much much worse. I may try keto again and see if I can figure it out with a third attempt.
  • kmn118
    kmn118 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    @LINIA Me, too, on not adding salt to anything, except eggs, before now. This WOE has changed my sugar cravings to pickle cravings!