Um...guys?

Options
SuperCarLori
SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
edited June 2016 in Social Groups
I quit smoking yesterday. After refreshing my knowledge, I'm now thinking it may be smart to wait until I'm closer to goal, as I'm already dealing with major mental issues. I can't delete this post, I don't know how.

Replies

• treehugnmama
    treehugnmama Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I quit 13 years ago and replaced the oral habit with water drinking. I constantly have a water bottle with me. Still 13 years later when I go to get into a car I grab a water to bring with me to sip on the trip :D
  • SuperCarLori
    edited June 2016
    Options
    After refreshing my knowledge, I'm wondering if I should even make the attempt at this point, and wait until I'm closer to goal. Like six months from now..
  • Cryren8972
    Cryren8972 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by refreshing your knowledge? What did you learn?
  • supergal3
    supergal3 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Your health will be better for it the sooner you quit. I found, like above reply, drinking a liquid helped and also tons of sugar-free gum. Also staying away from friends who are heavy smokers, was also good for the beginning weeks.
  • PamamaJane
    PamamaJane Posts: 288 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    You should get another pack but only if you get to Amazon right now and buy the book, Easy Way to Stop Smoking, by Allan Carr. I read the book and extinguished my last cig on August 29, 2012. That was after a pack a day for over 40 years. I've never had a craving, never had an urge, seldom gave smoking another thought, and never substituted patches, gum, food, or anything else for the cigs. NO, I didn't "stop" smoking. That's not the mind set you will have. I BECAME a non-smoker. And it truly was easy, just as the book title says.

The guy who wrote the book was a five pack a day guy and he knows what he is talking about. He doesn't dwell on how it's bad for you -- yeah, like you didn't know that already -- but he takes you through all the real reasons we smoke and knocks those reasons down one by one. And he explains how and why cigarettes are the easiest addiction to break. You've always been told it was the hardest. That's wrong. It's the easiest and once you read his book you'll understand why that is and accept the truth of it.

He does say to continue smoking while you read the book so if want to get another pack, go ahead. But buy the book, too. It is in Kindle format so maybe you could start reading it right now. Keep me posted.
  • MimiOfTheLusciousLawn
    MimiOfTheLusciousLawn Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    After discussing with my PCP my 50+lb weight gain after quitting smoking, he assured me that of the two, quitting smoking was far more important than the weight gain. Focus on the smoking first, then when that's under control, focus on the weight. Smoke free (from 3ppd) since 3/28/07, down a bunch of pounds since 1/12/15. One thing at a time, my vote is the smoking first.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Quitting smoking is probably more important for your heart than another 6 months living overweight. I didn't gain weight when I quit, it's not a given fact.
  • dmariet116
    dmariet116 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Personally, I went the vapor route, because I genuinely enjoy the process and feeling of smoking. If it weren't for the fact that the smoking wrecks oxygen uptake, and therefore limits lifting potential, I'd have never quit at all.

Not for everyone, but my breathing greatly improved, I don't smell like burning *kitten*, and I continued dropping weight as if I'd never quit smoking.

Me too. I vape and after the initial investment of mod, it costs me about $17 a week. I was ordering online for half that but they stopped all online shipments of e juice to Arkansas :s
    You don't miss cigarettes at all and you have the option to vape anywhere from 23mg of nicotine to 0 mg. So you can step down just like gum, patches etc. I plan to quit, but current stress level keeps that from happening right now. I vape between 12 mg to 18 mg right now so my next step down will be straight 12. Not for everyone, but works for me.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Speaking of mods, I've had this one (and the tank) for about a year now. Think I'm due for an upgrade. Might swing by a shop today and see what kind of RTAs and high wattage mods they have around. This old 20w served it's purpose, but I think it's time I moved on.
  • dmariet116
    dmariet116 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    After refreshing my knowledge, I'm wondering if I should even make the attempt at this point, and wait until I'm closer to goal. Like six months from now..

Whew, that's quite an extra boulder to be pushing up the hill!

Most folks don't voluntarily try to give up food and tobacco habits simultaneously. MONSTER kudos for you for even trying!

I'm not sure what to tell you, but Dr. Bernstein hit the nail square on the head for many of us aspiring quitters. I can't remember his exact line, but it was in response to "What's so bad about an occasional carb cheat?" In short, he said the problem with a single carb excursion is not one temporary spike in glucose levels, but with the likelihood that there will be many more "cheats" that are rationalized with increasing ease. (This is from a guy who's treated thousands of diabetes patients and has a pretty good experience base to stand on.)

Food is bad enough. But unlike shoveling in too much food for breakfast, you can't tweak your daily plan to accommodate any cigs. Once you've puffed in the morning, you're off plan and might be tempted to write the entire day off as a "cheat day" or, in effect, a holliday. Danger, Will Robinson!

Some folks do better by treating anything their rational selves have rejected as poison.

For example, my personal list includes:
    • D-Con
    • Jelly on "Wonder" bread toast
    • Drano
    • Root beer floats
    • Cat poop
    • Tobacco
    • Paula Deen
    • Gasoline
    • Caramel French fries
    • Cyanide
    (If you need to get out a sharpie and write "Drano" on each of those tempting cigs, that's not technically cheating.)

:D OMG you are too funny!!!! Nice list!!!
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    dmariet116 wrote: »
    :D OMG you are too funny!!!! Nice list!!!

It's not proprietary - feel free to add your own pp (personal poisons).

• SuperCarLori
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Yeah, I already sucked down a couple of cat turds this morning....I thought about the vape path...I would have to do it without the Others support, he thinks it's stupid. Me, I'd go get one today.

I like the list, there, Ralf...your wit is unrivaled. I, too, have it, around three hours after needed, when it's no longer necessary.

I don't want to try to be mentally capable of quitting smoking right now, along with my other mental hangups. I tried to delete the post, I'm obviously not equipped to handle life today. *bursts into tears*

JK, but really. I'll try the smoking thing when I get my metabolism in check.
  • RalfLott
    edited June 2016
    Options
    @SuperCarLori - How about this ruse - only smoke a designated # of cigs per day at certain "trigger" times?
  • RalfLott
    Options
    Personally, I went the vapor route, because I genuinely enjoy the process and feeling of smoking. If it weren't for the fact that the smoking wrecks oxygen uptake, and therefore limits lifting potential, I'd have never quit at all.

Not for everyone, but my breathing greatly improved, I don't smell like burning *kitten*, and I continued dropping weight as if I'd never quit smoking.

Wow - Another hidden benefit of lifting. Nice.
  • SuperCarLori
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    @SuperCarLori - How about this ruse - only smoke a designated # of cigs per day at certain "trigger" times?

That may work...it won't hurt to attempt it, now, will it?

I could severely berate myself when I cave as well, use the ol shame method...but I think I may be too acclimated for that method to work. :D
  • RalfLott
    Options
    @SuperCarLori - You will ultimately figure it all out.

I must say, I have to admire your determination in the face of stressful challenges - multiple daily routine-change goals, less-than-ideal support, and other major life responsibilities - on top of whatever cards your genes happen to have dealt you.

But it sounds like you've got your eyes firmly fixed on the prize - a healthier you. That will get you a long way!
  • SuperCarLori
    Options
    Thank you, Ralf. Honest, I lucked out with the gene pool issue. Physically, at least.

My mother didn't call it determination... ;)
  • RalfLott
    Options
    After discussing with my PCP my 50+lb weight gain after quitting smoking, he assured me that of the two, quitting smoking was far more important than the weight gain. Focus on the smoking first, then when that's under control, focus on the weight. Smoke free (from 3ppd) since 3/28/07, down a bunch of pounds since 1/12/15. One thing at a time, my vote is the smoking first.

Hmm.... Should one postpone trying to break heroin and arsenic habits, too?

(Yeah, I know they ain't the same thing :wink:)

If you're taking things one step at a time, mightn't it be most productive to attack whichever lesser evil you're most motivated to kick?

My weak, warped mindset requires a constant "no poisons" vigilance, so I would have to dump them all, tobacco, RBFs, and cat poop alike.