Calves burn so much ...

Options
KatKat1209
KatKat1209 Posts: 229 Member
Hi everyone...
So I also started the C25k - second time week one and I really have a serious problem...
Every session - after a few minutes (usually starts at the end of FIRST jog) my calves and tibia (right term?!) start burning - and it only gets worse from jog to jog - in the end it really burns like hell...

I'm running on a treadmill but I know when I tried jogging before outside it also started burning quickly..

any ideas on what to do about it - or if it goes away? cause trying to run like this is no fun at all...

thanks,
Kat

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Run slower, stretch more, have you been fitted for decent running shoes?
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Run slower, stretch more, have you been fitted for decent running shoes?

All of this.
  • KatKat1209
    KatKat1209 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    No I have not been fitted. I have some running shoes but didn't want to invest more at this point cause I thought it would matter if I need them for treadmill or outdoors. And I definitely want to change to outdoors later..

I run at around 6.6 km/h or mph? not sure right now - will check later. When I do the walking part I walk at speed 4,8 so - the difference is not that big - if I go much slower I feel like I don't get into rhythm for jogging... but maybe I just have to get used to it?

Stretch I didn't do before... thought the 5min warm up walk would be enough.. I only stretch after.. but will do before now too...
  • reginakarl
    reginakarl Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    So, once you've stretched, hydrated, and are running slower, engage the muscles in your glutes as they are for longer term exercise.
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    KatKat1209 wrote: »
    I run at around 6.6 km/h or mph? not sure right now - will check later. When I do the walking part I walk at speed 4,8 so - the difference is not that big - if I go much slower I feel like I don't get into rhythm for jogging... but maybe I just have to get used to it?

Put some tape over the speed reading and go by feel. At this point of the program actual speeds should be well and truly out of your mind.
  • niblue
    niblue Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    It might be worth getting a foam roller and using that to loosen off your calf muscles. I get the occasional problem there myself and find it helps a lot.
  • joolieb1
    joolieb1 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I find doing stretch n flex leg exercises on running rest days prevented a lot of problems, my knees felt so much more flexible too
  • fattothinmum
    fattothinmum Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Slow down. Seriously. My calves still slightly ache for my first few minutes and I run for up to 90 mins now. Even 8 months after starting, I begin running at around 5.8km/h until calf ache goes, then speed up. At week 2, I started at 5.2-5.4, until my calves got used to the new punishment they got from running.