Vision issues

Options
Bob314159
Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
I've had vision issues in my right eye for around 15 years - I've worn glasses full time since was 12, but over the last few years - my right eye keeps needing a new prescription - for several years I needed a weaker lens but for the last 2 years a stronger one. I've been only on ketogenic [30-50] for 9 months so that has not been the issue in thepaast. However in the last 2 weeks - I've had a sudden degradation, and my right eye vision is very poor for reading and computer work. Before I go get new glasses - are there any dietary things I should try?

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I believe Vitamin A, taken at night, and making sure you get enough stomach acid in your system to digest and absorb all the nutrients is thought to be helpful. The A has beta-carotene and such to help with eye health, things rich with antioxidants are listed highly, too.

The other things to check are blood pressure (too high or too low can cause problems) and diabetic complications (can't recall if you are, but if your blood sugar has dramatic highs or lows, there could be a related factor here).

I wish you the best of luck figuring this out. For me, I developed the issues with work computers, reading books, and my phone almost immediately before being diagnosed with migraines...
  • Bob314159
    Options
    No blood pressure or other issues - [based on test from 5 months ago] - but I'm eating almost zero carrots and other non-leafy vegetables. I do spend very long times on the computer with no breaks - doing paid support work.
  • sadsongkrysy
    sadsongkrysy Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    This happened to me too, I upped my electrolytes/sodium and drink about 210oz of water if not more a day and it helped clear it up, for awhile I couldn't see out of my glasses as well and light bothers my eyes like crazy making me blinder longer than before keto. Try dimming your computer brightness and stay hydrated. That's just what worked for me.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    If you are open to crazy herbal things, try black walnut extract (10 drops) with flax oil (1 tablespoon) and Nature's sunshine Focus Attention (1 capsule)...3x a day...take with 4oz of a dairy protein (like yogurt or cottage cheese) for optimal bioavailability.

when you are doing your computer work, if possible take 30 seconds every 10 min and just focus your eyes somewhere far away
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    are you eating enough fat? you can't absorb vitamin A without fat. (Don't however take vitamin A megadoses if you are a current or former smoker.) Eating more fat has helped with my night blindness.
  • Bob314159
    Options
    100-150 grams of fat, protein might be a little low average is 65.

I work sitting at a computer 3 days in a row 8 hours straight with a 30 minute break + other work - very hard on the eyes. Other days my hours are more flexible and I get outside for at least an hour each day and get distance vision.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Do you wear glasses when at the computer?

I get distance like vision while at the computer by wearing some + reading glasses from Dollar General so I eyes to do not have to work to focus to see the display. +1.25 works in my case. A +1.75 pair would start to blur the monitor screen in my case so I back off by about a +0.50.

I do not need glasses at a distance to see 20/20.
  • Bob314159
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Yes - glasses always with the computer - and right now my right eye is 90% good, much better than yesterday. I'm finding that pulling them down on my house give better focus.

Reading a book - for the last week - I have to pull the glasses off and hold the book closer. Right now I can read fairly well with glasses on. Its 1am and I've been up since 8:30am
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    I needed glasses for headaches. Did eye exercises and no longer needed the glasses. Focus on index finger whilst bringing it to your nose, for example. The breaks with focusing on something in the distance (preferably outside but in will do if office big enough) were and are enormously important for my happy eyes. I started with every 10 to 20 mins but now this posts reminds me I probably do a eye break only each hour now- time to improve. Minimising contrast between screen brightness and surrounds also helps. Good luck!