Post-Op Diet

Options
Daisyboohoo
Daisyboohoo Posts: 84 Member
I am going for my surgery 18 July 2013. I am busy preparing for the Post-Op Diet, as my husband travels quite a bit and I will have to do my own thing nice out of hospital. I have read a lot about the surgery and most of the information is from abroad (States, etc.) and very little from South Africa (Where I am from)

I am fascinated by the differences....
With us, our post-op diet is:
1. 4 weeks liquid (must be able to drink it with a straw)
2. 4 weeks purée diet (all in a blender)
3. 4 weeks soft foods (mash, etc)

What is yours like?

Replies

• jmwolffyy
    jmwolffyy Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I don't have time for a long reply right now, but the thing that screams at me is the straw! We were told to avoid straws at all costs because they can cause you to suck in air into your pouch. After having tons of trouble with getting enough fluids, I tried using one and voila, I can get in my liquids now. But the nutritionists and nurses were nearly dumbfounded that it helped me instead of hurting me!
  • kvandeman
    kvandeman Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    My doc told me 2 weeks of liquids and then four weeks of mush. They did not mention straws at all. It is weird how everyone is going at this in different ways.
  • teresa7926
    teresa7926 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    My plan is:
    2 weeks liquids
    2 weeks pureed
    2 weeks soft
    2 weeks of slow intro of solids with soft
    By 8 weeks normal (but obviously smaller portions). Of course if this can be tolerated. Dr. Says some people may take upto 12 weeks to get here

I bet we will see that our postop plans will vary just like our preop plans do.

I musr be honest - i amso looking forward to pureed. I amof all sweet stuff. Looking forward to some variety.
  • Agate69
    Agate69 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    In minnesota, one week full clear liquids, one week any liquid, one week soft diet(no chewing, think pudding) and 2-4 weeks mushy foods, or some solids if you chew them very well before swallowing. Also no straws for me either.
  • Daisyboohoo
    Options
    I don't have time for a long reply right now, but the thing that screams at me is the straw! We were told to avoid straws at all costs because they can cause you to suck in air into your pouch. After having tons of trouble with getting enough fluids, I tried using one and voila, I can get in my liquids now. But the nutritionists and nurses were nearly dumbfounded that it helped me instead of hurting me!

I don't think we are meant to use a straw.... They just use the straw to explain that it must be a liquid and not something with lumps or pieces in it...
  • 13turtles
    13turtles Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    My plan was:

2 weeks liquids - with a focus on protein shakes
    2 weeks pureed - think baby food texture
    2 weeks soft - think scrambled eggs
    3 weeks of slow intro of solids with soft - no beef, pork, or hard to digest foods
    4 weeks of all foods - one new food allowed per day

To give you some hope, I went on a cruise just after hitting the slow intro to solids stage, lost 10 pounds while gone and had no trouble finding soft things to eat.
  • happpyhappyjoyjoy
    happpyhappyjoyjoy Posts: 44 Member
    Options

I don't think we are meant to use a straw.... They just use the straw to explain that it must be a liquid and not something with lumps or pieces in it...
  • happpyhappyjoyjoy
    happpyhappyjoyjoy Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I don't know how it's done now but 11 years ago I had to use a strainer for the first two weeks to make sure liquid had no lumps in it. Total pain but a small price to pay. And, there was no liver shrinking diet either.
  • Daisyboohoo
    Options
    My plan was:

2 weeks liquids - with a focus on protein shakes
    2 weeks pureed - think baby food texture
    2 weeks soft - think scrambled eggs
    3 weeks of slow intro of solids with soft - no beef, pork, or hard to digest foods
    4 weeks of all foods - one new food allowed per day

To give you some hope, I went on a cruise just after hitting the slow intro to solids stage, lost 10 pounds while gone and had no trouble finding soft things to eat.

You have definately given me HOPE! My husband planned a cruise for us and he did not realize there would be a post-op diet. My operation is scheduled for 18 July and we are going on this 9 day cruise on 21 September. That gives me two months, which means I will need to eat soft foods on the cruise.
    I have never been on one and I am not sure what the food would be like.
  • jmwolffyy
    jmwolffyy Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    We also could have things like scrambled eggs and cottage cheese before we even left the hospital. I had surgery on a Tuesday and went home on Friday, so about 3 days? And the day of surgery you can't have anything because they wait 24 hours and do an imaging test to make sure there are no leaks. That was really the hardest part for me. But it really is as tolerated. Probably the worst thing overall was having to wait to have a salad because those leafy greens can be troublesome. I missed those more than anything else that was restricted!
  • Daisyboohoo
    Options
    We also could have things like scrambled eggs and cottage cheese before we even left the hospital. I had surgery on a Tuesday and went home on Friday, so about 3 days? And the day of surgery you can't have anything because they wait 24 hours and do an imaging test to make sure there are no leaks. That was really the hardest part for me. But it really is as tolerated. Probably the worst thing overall was having to wait to have a salad because those leafy greens can be troublesome. I missed those more than anything else that was restricted!

Thank you for your input. Hospital stay for us is only two day. I am going in on Thursday and will be out on Saturday.
  • Agate69
    Agate69 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Hospital stay for me was 28 hours. I too went on a 14 day cruise a few months after surgery. I took individual protein packets (powder). With and found a barista (coffee shop) to mix it. I found plenty of acceptable food. And continued weight loss progress when cruising. It is not always the food that is the problem but how well you chew.
    Practice chewing all foods to mush before swallowing before surgery. After 2 years out, I still follow the guideline of not consuming liquids at the same time as solid foods.
  • Daisyboohoo
    Options
    Bump
  • drm180now
    Options
    Your post-op diet plan sounds very similar to what I used following a gastric sleeve. The trick is to slow down your return to solid food as long as you can as this will promote rapid weight loss in the first 3 months, something very desirable. Mr doctor believes that your weight loss in the first 90 days should be targeted at 50% of your long term projected weight loss becuase the weight loss slow rapidly after you get on solid foods, have your stomach and GI system fully healed and can tolerate more food. Remember the goal is to stay as long as you can at a very reduced diet plan with lower calories rather than to quickly try to work your way up to prior levels of eating and consumption. You should try to develop new eating habits during this most remarkably new time of your life. It will help you to lose a lot of weight and if you are able to learn new habits like a love of protein drinks, greek yogurt, healthy foods and minimal carbs you will succeed in hiting your goals.

Best of luck in your quest!