Not hungry, do I need to eat to get my carbs/calories for the day?

Options
2»

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    @Sunny_Bunny_ my son is built like yours... He's very slim and fit... Played soccer 3x a week till 7th grade and now does karate and guitar instead, said soccer got too competitive and took away the fun... He's turning 13 soon and we struggled to get him to eat much of anything until about 6 months ago. Now he's eating everything and eating us out of house and home, is still small for his age, but LOVES his veggies and his chips, so I'm not overly worried... It'll work itself out... I wish my parents had taught me to listen to my hunger and satiety cues!

Sounds like he's been doing very well, but I'd still be mindful of it. Puberty era hormone freakouts are prone to causing hunger to go unnecessarily off the charts, and that's where a lot of "fat kids" get their start.
  • anewlifeat40
    anewlifeat40 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    @Sunny_Bunny_ my son is built like yours... He's very slim and fit... Played soccer 3x a week till 7th grade and now does karate and guitar instead, said soccer got too competitive and took away the fun... He's turning 13 soon and we struggled to get him to eat much of anything until about 6 months ago. Now he's eating everything and eating us out of house and home, is still small for his age, but LOVES his veggies and his chips, so I'm not overly worried... It'll work itself out... I wish my parents had taught me to listen to my hunger and satiety cues!

Sounds like he's been doing very well, but I'd still be mindful of it. Puberty era hormone freakouts are prone to causing hunger to go unnecessarily off the charts, and that's where a lot of "fat kids" get their start.

Yeah, that's a good point... he's going to be homeschooling starting this fall (8th grade), so we're being very intentional about making sure he stays active. I gave him my withings activite pop watch to track his activity and he's way over 10,000 steps almost every day. He goes kayaking with dad during the summer, we kick a soccer ball around on the beach, he jumps on his trampoline, rides his bike, walks back and forth from the village (about 40 min walk one way), karate once a week, and I've hired him to do yard work to earn extra money... I think we're good... We also eat primarily organic whole foods, lots of salads and stir frys, hormone free meats, for him he also adds brown rice, roast veg, fresh fruit, everything is cooked at home, we live in a rural area so rarely eat out, nothing out of a box... But then we also allow some slushies, tortilla chips and oreo cookies in moderation too as i don't want him to be bingeing on sweets and junk just because we never allow it... I wish I'd had his diet at his age... I starved myself at home (my mom nagged me about my weight even when I was slim and fit) and then binged on junk food away from home... Terrible!