ModFat vs HighFat

Options
icyheart1411
icyheart1411 Posts: 7 Member
Which is the best option when doing low carb/keto? Why?

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Fat to satiety. Use fat to achieve hunger control. Beyond that, no one needs to reach any "fat goals"
  • kmn118
    kmn118 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    example, last night i was "hangry"! I warmed two boiled eggs with dots of butter in microwave and shazaam. Satisfied in 160 calories and within my macros for the day! Win Win
  • icyheart1411
    icyheart1411 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have been doing more protein than fat. My fat is usually 20-30 under my protein.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    High protein seems to be more of an issue for those with insulin resistance, diabetes or pre diabetes.
    Though, most insulin resistant people have no idea they actually are... So, if you have success with higher protein, there's no reason to be concerned about it.
  • dbhDeb
    dbhDeb Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I'm doing higher fat and I am trying to reverse my prediabetes and improve my health
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goals. Low carb is 150 gm of carbs, or less, per day, and this is enough to achieve weight loss, usually. Keto is anywhere under 50 gm a day, and is normally used for health improvement , and weight loss becomes a side effect to the health improvements!

To properly execute LCHF, the protein grams would usually be greater than protein grams. If you need help figuring out your macros, use this calculator: http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/ then plug the numbers into your food diary here on MFP.

Good luck!
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I try to have more grams of fat than protein, myself. So my macros break down to about 10% carb, 25% protein, 65% fat. This is what keeps me from feeling hungry. But really, as long as you're getting the minimum fat (something like, 0.35g per lb of body weight) and are getting plenty of monounsaturated fats, you don't HAVE to hit a particular amount as long as you feel good (and are in ketosis, if that's your goal).

As to the why, for me I understand that in ketosis my body is using the fat I eat for energy (among other things it does with fat). It's using the minimum glucose from the carbs to feed my brain, and the protein is going to muscle maintenance (highly simplified). The fats I eat are being broken down into ketones for my body to use for energy. Since I'm in a deficit, my body is pulling any gap in needed energy from my fat stores.

Reason number 2 for me personally is eating fat does not perceptively raise my blood sugar. Keeping my blood sugar level is important to me. It's amazing to not have blood sugar highs and lows throughout the day and get hunger an hour after I eat. I'm hardly ever hungry now in the way I used to be.