Hypothyroidism and LCHF Question :-)

Options
cheezels83
cheezels83 Posts: 62 Member
edited July 2016 in Social Groups
In short- I have it and don't convert T4 to T3 in the body so take a combination of T4 (100) and T3 (80) meds daily.
Took 15 years for the docs to actually do the blood test to confirm this while in the meantime I put on 50+kg.

There are loads of different things on the internet about LCHF and Hypothyroidism but I would love to hear from people here.
What is working for you? Is there anything I need to be aware of or careful about?

Edit: Specifically I have read that LCHF is bad for hypo because of the insulin needed for conversion for the T4 to T3... BUT as I actually already have that problem and take T3 anyway does this mean I don't need to worry?

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I have hashi's and have been LCHF for a year. When I started LCHF I was 190 lbs and taking 150 mcg of natural desiccated thyroid (Efra's Thyroid up here in Canada). A year later I am around 156 lbs and taking the same medication. I found that the diet made no difference to my situation except when I began the diet I had an autoimmune flare-up. My guess is the diet was a shock to my body. I have a couple of other AI issues so I am not sure it was hashi's realated or not. Anyways, my flare-up included arthritis pain, fatigue, a slightly off stomach and hair loss. The usual but it was milder and of shorter duration than usual.

I haven't had my hormones tested in a year so there is a slight chance that I am leaning towards the hyper side of things what with the lower weight now, but I feel fine.

I wouldn't worry about lower insulin. Your body will still be making enough insulin to handle up to around 150g of glucose per day, even if you eat zero carb. If there really was a problem, then people who eat lower or low carb would become hypo, and that just doesn't happen. :) You should be fine. Just retest in a few months if you are concerned.
  • neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I have Hashimoto's & take a combination of T3 (5) and T4 (75). We're still checking and adjusting the meds. My thyroid numbers are in the normal range, but on the high end of rT3 and the low end of both T3 and T4.

I've read the same things you have, but focused on getting my diabetes under control first (simultaneous diagnosis), since that was a more critical health issue. I planned on doing research on the issue you've raised once my spring semester ended - but unfortunately a breast cancer diagnosis got in the way and that is obviously a more critical health issue - so that research is still in the future.

As a practical matter, my doctor is a micromanager for thyroid issues. My TSH is normal (all most doctors test), and has been since the first dose he put me on (50 mcg of T4). He tests T4, T3, and rT3 - and has been adjusting every 10 weeks since diagnosis. But my low carb diet (and weight loss of 65 lbs) does not seem to have impacted my ability to manage it.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I can't prove it that there's a causal link, however my Hashimoto's flared up while I was on a high carb diet, and since I've been on a more moderate carb diet, my dosage of meds has never changed, in about 20 years. Nothing changed when I went low carb, at all, with my thyroid tests. Subjectively speaking, I feel more energetic on a low carb diet.
  • LauraCoth
    LauraCoth Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I seem to have trouble when I overindulge in grains, so my ND has suggested a month off to see what happens. She has always recommended a low-carb diet for me, even with my Hashi's.
  • cheezels83
    cheezels83 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback! :-) Great to hear that this WOE is good for those with hypo problems too :-)