Cutting

beastmode_kitty
beastmode_kitty Posts: 844 Member
Ive been debating on going on a cut sooner than i had planned. Been eating 2220+ cals for quite awhile now and have been thinking if scaling back to 1900 for a few weeks to see if i can get rid of some stubborn fat. Then bring the cals back up again.

Replies

• Jennifer_Lynn_1982
    Jennifer_Lynn_1982 Posts: 567 Member
    interested to see how your body responds after eating at maintenance - good luck!!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Great way to do it - fully burning active body - hit it with short deficit - back again to TDEE.

No exercise changes during that time, right?
    Estimated TDEE that is working well eating is the activity level kept?

If you have some experience with it - you may know if that stubborn fat is part of what goes first, or last, as fat is lost. So keep expectations realistic as to that really being the fat that may go.
    But 2 lbs in 4 weeks in the right spots for fat loss could appear pretty good in inches lost.
  • beastmode_kitty
    Exercise is generally staying the same. I dont think i could go longer than 2 weeks on a cut anymore. However after 1 day of doing a cut it isnt so bad. Not hungry or moody
  • jerilynconn
    jerilynconn Posts: 524 Member
    @heybales what's the shortest amount of time you would suggest on a cut? And how often?
  • heybales
    Shortest - probably 1 week for some sort of average deficit.
    Shorter than 1 week would be hard to see progress.

Depending on workouts and general level of stress - you could do that every other week for frequency.

I'll add for longest - probably 8-12 weeks depending again on amount of daily stress to body (poor sleep, daily stress, disease, sickness, ect), before coming back to maintenance level eating.

If cutting is making that much hunger - may be too large a cut.
    Or a need to look at meal macro ratios or how eaten, or when meals eaten.
    Probably not hard to imagine a worst meal timing, and that means there could be a best too.
  • beastmode_kitty
    So far being on it a few days has been going ok.
  • empressichel
    empressichel Posts: 730 Member
    Yeah! Good to hear!
    I've just increased my calories while cutting because I was picking up some signs that my deficit was too large.
    What is always funny about this lifestyle is when we start EM2WL we are like What! How am I supposed to eat that much? And then sometimes when we cut, even just a modest deficit of 5%, it's like What? How am I supposed to eat so little? :p:D
    Funny thing, mental mindshift
    Ichel
    EM2WL Ambassador and Moderator
  • beastmode_kitty
    I know right? I think im.at an ok cut for the amount of calories so far. Its just 1 snack less than what i was having before. But now i dont feel or look as fluffy either
  • empressichel
    Yay for less fluffy :)
    That's a great way to do a small cut. so subtle that you don't even notice, except your fluff does!
  • jerilynconn
    jerilynconn Posts: 524 Member
    Good stuff! Make the fluff go away!

I was reading today that when we lose weight/fat it's not out through energy. We breathe most of it out. Weird huh?
  • heybales
    edited July 2016
    Breath and water. Actually watch it demonstrated - burning term fools people.

https://youtu.be/vuIlsN32WaE

And I'd suggest his application of eat less and more more was to the correct degree - not extreme on both fronts at the same time.
  • beastmode_kitty
    Taking a break until Monday from working out too. Calves and hammies are still very sore and getting sharp pains.
  • empressichel
    Hope your legs are feeling better now. But then doesn't everything feel better when you've got 2 weeks off work!
    Hope you get to enjoy some proper chill time. B)
    Ichel
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Soooooo glad to hear @beastmode_kitty Truly wonderful things will happen for you once you maintain at tdee for a good while.. cant wait to see the PRs fall!
  • xabachay
    xabachay Posts: 12 Member
    You may want to research adding some fasting. If you do a "eat for 5, fast (25% of normal intake) for 2" diet, it changes some important chemical processes that actually ramp up the bodies repair system.

The science behind it is quite fascinating. .. check it out.
  • empressichel
    We don't advocate fasting diets here!
    Only changes that we can keep doing for life.
    Crystal you are doing great keeping things at TDEE! I know it hasn't been easy.
    Keep it up, you are making great strides forward.
  • TerezaToledo
    TerezaToledo Posts: 613 Member
    @empressichel Said it right. A diet that is not sustainable is not maintainable. Fasting or excluding certain foods/groups that are not done for medical, religious, ethical or cultural purposes, that are done with the intent of losing weight are definitely not supported by EM2WL. If you can't imagine yourself doing it for life, you shouldn't do it for a short term trying to lose weight.

I agree that you are doing an amazing progress @beastmode_kitty and that you will see more and more gains coasting at TDEE for now. By lifting heavier and eating at TDEE your body will lean towards recomposition, which is a slow process, but an excellent approach. Why not go for that now that the weather will soon start getting cooler and life will soon get holiday busy? By the time winter starts going away, your body will have changed a lot and it will be your choice to cut or not. Like Kelly said, I can't wait to see you smashing PR's in the fall!

Tereza
    Team EM2WL