DEXA Scan...wow

Options
Majcolorado
Majcolorado Posts: 138 Member
Just got my first DEXA scan today - unbelievably enlightening. I have 10 pounds less lean body mass than I thought (sad), and I now know how much my skeleton weighs (awesome).

I wasn't getting the results I was expecting so I got the scan as part of my troubleshooting process. I've had to reduce my baseline calories from 2400 to 2100 per day, and based on my lower than expected lean mass number, my goal weight is now 10 pounds lower.

Best $99 I've spent in awhile. Highly recommended!

Replies

• Vowder
    Vowder Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Where do you go to get one done?
  • Majcolorado
    Majcolorado Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I got mine done at Body Fat USA here in Denver. I'm not sure what other kind of places offer these services, this was a stand alone office that popped up when I googled. Very interesting piece of GE tech.

I love that it takes a big piece of the guesswork out of optimizing my diet so I can finally be rid of the extra 45 (used to be 35) extra pounds I'm currently carrying around.

I thought I had a total of 50 to lose, turns out it's 60.

I'm going back later this week for a Resting Metabolic Rate test - no need for me to have to guess about that either, I'm thinking.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    That's awesome. Yes, definitely worth the investment!
  • closetlibrarian
    closetlibrarian Posts: 2,207 Member
    Options
    I had one done a few months ago, although I had it *mostly* for bone density readings, as I am *ahem* a woman of a certain age. It was definitely enlightening, and I'm glad I did it. I may have it done again in a couple of weeks for body-comp change evaluation.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I have been wanting to get BodPod of DEXA for a long time, but decided that as long as I'm still changing, I will wait until I think I'm where I want to start maintenance (and maybe muscle building). The nearest available I've found is about 4 hours and I figure I would have to go and stay overnight the night before to get a good rest and accurate results.