What is Clean Eating?

Options
KetoneKaren
KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
Can someone define clean eating?

I have acquaintances on Paleo AIP, vegan whole food, ovopescatarian, South Beach, organic only, whole food only...

I realized that I don't know what clean eating is.

Please share your opinions of what comprises clean eating. Thanks!

t19132.gif

Replies

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    There is a website that may help you. http://cleanlivingguide.com/mission/food-philosophy/

But what I think clean living sounds like is eating as healthy as you can. So no added sugars, refined carbs, processed foods, ect. For me that's eating mostly a vegetable based diet that isn't processed. I don't care about organic unless I think the item is at high risk of pesticide residues. (A list of high risk and low risk items can be found here: The Dirty Dozen)

Thank you!
  • snerggly
    snerggly Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    cee134, based on your post here, I think I will join the group. New Plant Based eater here and I am looking for others who are like minded. Thank you
  • mitzhogue
    mitzhogue Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Clean eating to me is a eating food that is unadulterated, free from genetic modification, pesticides, dyes, chemicals, antibiotics, etc. Think about foods that were around a hundred years ago - those are real foods, pasta and bread made from freshly milled whole grain flours and dairy so pure and clean it did not need pasteurization. Buy local, eat what's in season, and if eating sustainable pasture raised meat/eggs is too expensive (which it is for me) then just eat less of it, enjoy it when you do and know that those decisions are good for you, good for the planet and good for the animal. :smiley:
  • JeanBrooks47
    JeanBrooks47 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've been eating clean and praying that it would help with weight loss. The thought of eating some of the things that are allowed in foods is repugnant to me now. I only drink water with fresh lemon juice squeezed in. I do not put the lemon IN my water if I'm at a restaurant due to germs found on unwashed fruits and veggies. All fresh veggies in my home are washed with a vegetable wash I make using water and white vinegar. I eat very little red meat and usually limit it to 1-2 a month. The rest of the time I eat wild caught salmon and other seafood and organic chicken. If the seafood has been FARM RAISED I do not buy it.
    When you get used to shopping and knowing the products with no (or at least very little) additives, you're going to feel comfortable. My rule is, if I can't pronounce an ingredient, I don't buy the product. Shop the outside aisles of the store. It isn't hard and I really feel more comfortable eating the clean foods.
  • Meghan509
    Meghan509 Posts: 1,964 Member
    Options
    Agree with what is said here.
    Hi all, my name is Meghan and I am looking to get back on track and get the scale moving in the right direction.
    Also want to include that clean eating can be what works best for your type of eating. i.e., some of us have health restrictions such as myself.
    So clean eating for me does not include any red meat (1x per month at most), no pork, lamb, bacon, nitrates, hot dogs / sausages or that type of thing as well.
    I try and eat animal protein from poultry and fish only once a day at dinner. For lunch I try and keep it vegetarian. I drink a lot of water. No soda. No processed foods of any kind. More foods with simple ingredients, organic, non-GMO, etc. than foods that contain labels. :smile:
  • EMSchell2009
    EMSchell2009 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    The can't pronounce thing is big for me. I am a hyper label reader. Lots of salads at resturaunts.
  • LindaPlanchard
    LindaPlanchard Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I definitely believe in clean eating, though I am a low carb believer also. I keep my carbs under 100 a day. I am with EMSchell2009...if I can't pronounce it...I don't want it!