Who knows about high cholesterol and young kids?

Options
macchiatto
macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
My friend just told me her 7y/o's cholesterol is too high, so the dr told them this morning that he should switch to a vegetarian, dairy-free diet because of this. (He also has an under-active thyroid and low Vitamin D.) I'm wondering if any of you know of good links or resources that address this in kids. My brain automatically thinks LCHF is better ;) but I know it's not a panacea.
The child's father has diabetes and I'd be concerned about the higher carb vegetarian diet putting the child at higher risk for that.

Replies

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Start by googling "familial hypercholesterolemia" assuming it's genetic. Sounds like a lot more going on than just diet.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
    She said they're already eating like 70-80% vegetarian, lots of fruits and veggies and not much meat or dairy. Poor kid. I hope they're able to get it under control and figure out what works best for him. I just read the NIH article on familial hypercholesterolemia and the risk of early heart attacks is scary.
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    The under-active thyroid and low Vitamin D are likely to be the cause, at least in part, of the high cholesterol. High cholesterol is a common symptom of hypothryoidism. And, I'm not sure why a doctor would say no dairy because there are plenty of low and no-fat dairy options.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    macchiatto wrote: »
    Thanks!
    She said they're already eating like 70-80% vegetarian, lots of fruits and veggies and not much meat or dairy. Poor kid. I hope they're able to get it under control and figure out what works best for him. I just read the NIH article on familial hypercholesterolemia and the risk of early heart attacks is scary.

Huh? They're already 70-80% vegetarian with not much meat or dairy. The 7 year old has high cholesterol and the father has diabetes? I'm with you. I might be switching that diet to at least low carb because it sure seems that "70-80% vegetarian with not much meat or dairy" isn't working. And the doc said "switch to vegetarian"? <facepalm>
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    High trigs is a huge warning sign of low thyroid. So is low Vitamin D. I'd say check into www.stopthethyroidmadness.com (shows so many other issues interrelated) and www.thyroidpharmacist.com.

That being said, after all I've learned so far this year, I would guess that this young man has low stomach acid, likely from not having many fats in his dietary plan, and this leads to poor absorption of, well, EVERYTHING. I know that this is a factor in my not absorbing many nutrients and all that.

CHOLESTEROL is triggered by CARBS...it is the transport vehicle for glucose to the brain. So going vegetarian, which focuses on carbs, seems like the OPPOSITE of what needs to happen. More carbs equals more glucose equals more transport vehicles...

I agree on the dairy-free being a likely good choice here (it's terrible for all of us!!!), but some dairy may be okay. Without K2, D3 doesn't absorb well. That leads to calcium deficiencies. You then need magnesium and potassium to get the nutrients into where the K2 tells it it needs to go, and the Boron to strengthen the cell walls to keep it there... But grassfed butter is one of the best natural sources of K2, if I remember right...

Definitely worth some research...
  • LauraCoth
    LauraCoth Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    It saddens and angers me to see doctors still clinging to the myth that fat=bad cholesterol.