Magnesium Citrate...Sodium...Potassium...?

Options
Does anyone take supplements for these things? I'm new to Keto and I'm worried about not being...er.."regular". I looked into the magnesium citrate and it seems that some people supplement. I also read about some other benefits to magnesium citrate. I'm just looking for experience and info. There is SO MUCH to learn about keto...it is exciting :)

Replies

• ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Most people who follow LCHF supplement Magnesium in some form along with sodium and potassium. Magnesium Glycinate is one of the better, easily absorbed types of Magnesium.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Mag Citrate can be used to help alleviate muscle cramps. Go slow - you will know you have hit your limit when you have loose stools.

Sodium - You need more than people on a regular SAD. Low carb makes you lose water, which makes you lose sodium. In the beginning, aim for 5000mg a day.

Potassium - Usually only need to supplement if you are losing too much sodium. Avocados are rich in potassium, so are mushrooms. Both are LC friendly foods.

You will know when you are low on sodium - you will get a headache, feel achy, tired. Eat pickles, drink some broth - just salting your food is not enough.