Off track

Options
Hey Ketofiles. Went off the rails over the last weekend. We went away with some friends. It's difficult to keep on track when you have to be around people that don't understand your way of life. I had plenty of beer (bread in a bottle) and even fish and chips - it's rude not to when you're at the coast.
Strangely enough, I didn't have too much trouble with any flare ups with IBS and I feel I've dropped straight back into ketosis within three days.
This won't be a regular occurrence, just a bit of encouragement that it's ok to drop off the wagon for a couple of days and get back on track as quickly as you went off.

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Once you've gone through that initial purge, and especially if you've become fat adapted, it appears to be pretty easy to maintain, and even recover from the occasional carb-up.
    Fortunately, I have no problem being "rude", so I'll likely never experience it, as I was never much of a fan of high-carb foods to begin with (including the booze).
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I'm in agreement with @Gallowmere1984. After the initial reset, as long as you kept up water, sodium, what you could foodwise, and activity if possible, once you're fat adapted, it's not as big a deal to readapt, if you're one of the lucky ones. I've had this happen with a full week off last Thanksgiving...

That being said, I, too, have absolutely no problem being a b-witch and explaining what my needs are. I can find something almost anywhere. I never was a big bread fan, so if a bit was obligatory and I didn't have gluten issues, I might have taken a small bite. With the fish/chips, I'd probably have eaten just the fish - or inquired about light batter or something...

But it all comes down to choices and mindset. You KNEW this was a temporary blip. I think in some ways, when we reassure ourselves going it, the brain just doesn't flip the switch out of our normal keto gears... Hard to explain, but so much of our body's reactions are driven by our brains... YOU KNEW you were getting right off plan when you got home. You made the choices to indulge. You got VERY lucky on the IBS front...hopefully there's been some repair to your inner workings by being keto...

Sadly, I'm a full on sugar/junk addict in recovery, mostly. It wouldn't have been the "chips" and bread that tempted me, most likely... But it's always about choices. The last time I ate off plan, I ended up doing an unplanned IF, too, so the "damage" didn't hit as hard...my body/blood sugars/insulin levels still got a break, so they were able fight back against my food choices more readily.

As long as "dropping off the wagon," doesn't happen more than a time or few a year, you should be okay, as long as you accept in advance that it will slow progress on any health gains/weight loss fronts...just don't use this as a gateway to do it all the time. (hugs)
  • ivanfawcettgibson
    ivanfawcettgibson Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    My post was directed at those who tend to beat themselves up if they have a bad day. It's not going to be an issue to do so, so long as you get right back on your hoss.
    I have it easy - I've always been wired to prefer to have a starter for desert. I didn't like chips (fries), potato or pasta as a kid and would only eat rice if it was covered in something. I could eat a biscuit, and I do like ice cream now and again. There is a lot of that in the house and it doesn't bother me - I've always snacked on chunks of cheese anyway. My problem is beer, I love a good real ale but don't really drink much of it any more.
  • Cyndi146
    Cyndi146 Posts: 411 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Your post encouraged me. I will be traveling to Texas soon where I will have little control of what's put before me. I plan to have snacks and such to help keep me from falling too far off. But I mostly want to enjoy my 95 year old grandparents who will celebrate their 75th wedding anniversary and realize what a special treasure this is. And knowing that as soon as I return home I will go right back to this WOE that has me feeling so healthy and victorious. Thank you for sharing.