So I noticed that. . .

Options
closetlibrarian
closetlibrarian Posts: 2,207 Member
A lot of people are here because of PCOS, or IBS, or T2D. I am not. I am lucky to have no underlying medical issues that I'm trying to control, I'm just trying to be the healthiest version of myself. Having said that. . . July 1 was a complete cupcake disaster. I ate more added sugar in one day than I normally do in a month . . . and I noticed that my joints were stiff and achy for two days after. Especially the joints in my fingers and toes. I imagine I probably felt that EVERY DAY before changing my eating habits, but it was just a fact of life so I didn't notice it. Such a small thing, but enough to tell me not to do that again.

Replies

• Cyndi146
    Cyndi146 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    That's great! I'm without the extra medical issues also, and am so thankful. Sometimes it's hard to know if I'm feeling better than I was with the carbs in my system cuz like you said, you just deal if it's a daily thing. But I'm not willing to eat carbs now to find out :wink:
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Sadly, while I'm a sufferer of PCOS, hypothyroidism, insulin resistance, joint pain, etc., eating off plan does not cause me undue annoyance, side effects, or drama. It would be more motivating to me. Perhaps I haven't "healed enough" yet to notice the more subtle differences.

I'm glad you're doing this for your health - and that you got a quick lesson learned!
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    I have experienced the same thing! My weakness is Mexican food, but the next day or two I wake up with aching hips. People have asked if I have undiagnosed arthritis or an autoimmune disorder, which I suppose is possible, but I'm almost glad to know I'm not an anomaly. I'm not glad you have it too, but I'm glad I'm not the only one, if that makes sense....
  • fludderbye
    fludderbye Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    It almost feels like a hangover to me when I eat off plan. That and terrible stomach cramps
  • closetlibrarian
    closetlibrarian Posts: 2,207 Member
    Options
    Whew! Glad to hear there are others in the same boat! @KnitOrMiss Thanks for the props, and sending good vibes your way for continued healing. :)
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    For me it is the gluten and not carbs per se, that cause my IBS, serious joint pain (technically not the joint itself but the muscle attachment AT the joint), and heavy fatigue. that makes it easy to avoid the breads, noodles, etc, but not so easy to avoid the corn tortillas, basmati rice, or mangos & pineapples.
  • MsArriabella
    MsArriabella Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I've also noticed swelling when I eat more carbs, but I'm not really sure if it's the carbs or the extra sodium since I have a major weakness for crunchy, salty things.

@fludderye I noticed that too! I was really confused the first time that happened then remembered I'd eated the bun with dinner the night before :neutral:

• KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    My health improvement has been enough to know I don't even want to try anything "white" ever again! I'm not willing to try! The small amount of fruit, and veggies, that I've had have been enough (headaches, joint pain, bloating) to make me steer clear of anything higher carb!!