Frustrating Morning Numbers

Options
Amazon_Who
Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
The first 3 or so months of the year my morning BS ran in the mid to low 90s.

Since April I have lost 25 pounds. Kept my carbs lower. I also started walking 6-7 days a week and have worked up to 2.5 miles.

Now my morning BS is over 100 most mornings.
:|

Very frustrating.

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I'm with you. I had 6 months on keto with good numbers. Now I added walking, still eat low carb, am over 30lbs lighter, and my morning BG numbers are climbing. Usually well over 100... even over 120. Very frustrating indeed.

My liver needs to chill out. ;)
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    1x 500mg Glucophage before bed?
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    May be a good idea.
  • Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    2 x 500mg before bed, 1x 500mg in the morning.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    2 x 500mg before bed, 1x 500mg in the morning.

If you require 1500mg (not sure @nvmomketo does), then unless dawn is your only high water mark, such a protocol would seem to leave a long gap between lunch & bedtime (even using XR)....

Why would this be preferable to 1x @ lunch, dinner, & bedtime?
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    This is tough. I personally take my 1000mg of metformin at night to help with morning numbers. It's the only time I really need the help so to speak.
  • ConleighS
    ConleighS Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I am on 850 metformin and am told to take 2x a day with meals. I take with breakfast (and 1 30mg actos) and with dinner. I am down 60lbs since end of July 2016, try to keep carbs at 30 or less per day, and my numbers in the morning way exceed 200...this morning 289. Any suggestions
  • EdinTx
    EdinTx Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I'm having the opposite problem. My numbers are typically in the 70-80's when I get up, but in the last month, they've dropped to the 40-60s range. It freaks me out a bit because I wake up shaky and disoriented sometimes.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    EdinTx wrote: »
    I'm having the opposite problem. My numbers are typically in the 70-80's when I get up, but in the last month, they've dropped to the 40-60s range. It freaks me out a bit because I wake up shaky and disoriented sometimes.

Are you on metformin? That lowers the glucose output into your blood (especially overnight) from the liver. If so, you may need to discuss changing medication amounts with your doctor. If so, congrats. ;)
  • RalfLott
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

Are you on metformin? That lowers the glucose output into your blood (especially overnight) from the liver. If so, you may need to discuss changing medication amounts with your doctor. If so, congrats. ;)

Hmm. I don't know soup to nuts about Metformin, but it's the only thing I take, in part because, unlike it her oral meds, it doesn't tend to cause hypoglycemia in most people.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

Hmm. I don't know soup to nuts about Metformin, but it's the only thing I take, in part because, unlike it her oral meds, it doesn't tend to cause hypoglycemia in most people.

You are right. I may be way off on that. I know it lowers glucose output.... Which shouldn't be a problem, you are right. Combined with insulin could be the issue, and then too high insulin dose would be the issue. I should have asked about insulin instead, shouldn't I? :)
  • RalfLott
    Options
    Well, I'd consider any injected or oral med that tends to produce hypoglycemia if carbs are reduced without adjusting the dose.

But I'd also want to try reducing Metformin if other suspects are eliminated (including a bad meter, etc.).
  • shadus
    shadus Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    One last thing to try-- this may be dawn phenomenon (big bg jump while fasting after sleep), try eating a table spoon of peanut butter or something high in protein and fat RIGHT before bed, since you're experiencing higher numbers now that your base line bg numbers have dropped, may be a case of they're dropping far enough in the night your body is trying to bring them up for the am... little pb or something to stabilize bg levels a bit while you sleep might help.
  • EdinTx
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it
  • EdinTx
    Options
    It's happening again. Hypoglycemia woke me up. I had to quickly eat a glusoce tablet, a pear and some milk. Reading was 57 when I woke up. This scares me. Ugh!
  • ConleighS
    ConleighS Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    That is scary, definitely talk to your doctor
  • RalfLott
    Options
    It's happening again. Hypoglycemia woke me up. I had to quickly eat a glusoce tablet, a pear and some milk. Reading was 57 when I woke up. This scares me. Ugh!

Dang. Were you symptomatic?
  • EdinTx
    Options
    Yes. Shakes, sweaty and a little disoriented. It doesn't happen in the middle of the night like that often. Maybe once or twice before, but it scared me.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    Yes. Shakes, sweaty and a little disoriented. It doesn't happen in the middle of the night like that often. Maybe once or twice before, but it scared me.

I'll bet it did!

Had your BG dropped from a much higher level in a short amount of time?
  • EdinTx
    Options
    It was normal when I went to bed. Yesterday and this morning it was the same thing. I woke up a little low energy. Went through the morning, but felt really sluggish. Made sure I ate normally. Took a couple of glucose tablets throughout the day. Started to feel really off before lunch. Ate lunch, took a reading about 15min after I ate. 54. Waited another 20 min and took another reading 87. I skipped my evening meds last night (probably subconsciously made myself forget them) and woke up the same way. Same symptoms of hypo. It's like, no matter what I do, I can't get this leveled out. Decided to stay home today. Still feel sluggish and tired-even after 2 honey sticks and some oatmeal. Normal reading as of 30 min ago, but still feel really off.