Help! Why am I going through this again?

Options
genmon00
genmon00 Posts: 604 Member
Hi everyone!
So I'm about 8 weeks in with Low Carb, down 16 pounds, feeling good. I was inspired by the Ketoers and dropped my carb goals to 20 (from 40) and fell love with BPC. I have started these new goals since the beginning of July. I have noticed my hunger has greatly diminished and when I have BPC, my energy is off the charts which are pluses. But now I'm experiencing the bad parts of low carb again aka the keto flu. I hate it. I'm trying to get as much salt as possible in and tried a mag pill that sent me straight to the bathroom :( I'm wondering why I'm going thru this again and when will I be over it. Any suggestions?

Replies

• RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    genmon00 wrote: »
    I'm experiencing the bad parts of low carb again aka the keto flu. I hate it. I'm trying to get as much salt as possible in and tried a mag pill that sent me straight to the bathroom :( I'm wondering why I'm going thru this again and when will I be over it. Any suggestions?

You know the basics, so it's hard to say.

Some genetic combinations translate into needing larger doses or other substances to help boost your levels of some nutrients.

Vitamins D and B12 are cheap to test, as are sodium, potassium, and magnesium....

If you figure it out, let us know!

• bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Ending week 6 myself. I'm still fighting the slooshy bathroom times, they happen less often, but the are there - I'm also taking Metformin up until recently, so that does contribute to my woes. Not sure if, when I quit taking it, that will help firm things up or not, but someone told me about these psyllium husk tablets that work both ways (as a laxative and bulking agent--and that it seems to know which you need and does the job), the magnesium citrate often can have the loosening effect, so I'm told.
  • genmon00
    Options
    hmmm I take metformin too so that might be contributing to this issue
  • kolsonsmamaw1
    kolsonsmamaw1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss
  • genmon00
    Options
    thank you! @kolsonsmamaw1 I'm on this woe for health, not necessarily weight loss but losing weight is helping my diabetes so it's a win/win :) that's why feeling the keto flu again worries me because I plan to eat this way for life but I don't want to feel terrible lol
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Hi everyone!
    So I'm about 8 weeks in with Low Carb, down 16 pounds, feeling good. I was inspired by the Ketoers and dropped my carb goals to 20 (from 40) and fell love with BPC. I have started these new goals since the beginning of July. I have noticed my hunger has greatly diminished and when I have BPC, my energy is off the charts which are pluses. But now I'm experiencing the bad parts of low carb again aka the keto flu. I hate it. I'm trying to get as much salt as possible in and tried a mag pill that sent me straight to the bathroom :( I'm wondering why I'm going thru this again and when will I be over it. Any suggestions?

Keto flu is all about hydration. More accurately, sodium.
    Every symptom you're describing is sodium related. The cramps, the thirst. It's sodium. However much you're getting, it's just not enough. This is why it can recur... It's not related to Keto. It's related to low sodium, which happens to people that eat Keto.
    As far as the mag goes, it sounds like you're describing what I would expect of either magnesium oxide or citrate.
    I prefer magnesium carbonate or chloride. It's much more bioavailable and therefore doesn't get wasted through digestion. But, it's possible the metformin is the culprit there.
  • kolsonsmamaw1
    kolsonsmamaw1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Healthfulpursuit.com has some good advice on what your describing. I don't know a lot but some of what I have learned has come from this web site.
  • genmon00
    Options
    thanks @Sunny_Bunny_ I think it's deff related to sodium I'm at a loss on how I'm going to get so much in lol it's very hot here I'm talking over 110 degrees and with my internship I'm out and about way more than usual so I'm constantly drinking water even outside of the keto so I'm going to need to get creative lol I guess keto aide all day the mag I took was my grandpa's so maybe not the best for me I did look into slow mag I will order that next week when I get paid. I'm amazed st my appetite suppression though I'm rarely hungry now. I wonder how long that will last lol
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    thanks @Sunny_Bunny_ I think it's deff related to sodium I'm at a loss on how I'm going to get so much in lol it's very hot here I'm talking over 110 degrees and with my internship I'm out and about way more than usual so I'm constantly drinking water even outside of the keto so I'm going to need to get creative lol I guess keto aide all day the mag I took was my grandpa's so maybe not the best for me I did look into slow mag I will order that next week when I get paid. I'm amazed st my appetite suppression though I'm rarely hungry now. I wonder how long that will last lol

The problem with drinking plain water when you are already sodium deficient is that it actually flushes out more sodium and once that's low, your body dumps magnesium and potassium in an effort to preserve sodium.
    It sounds like you'd be best getting sodium chloride tablets. You should find them at the pharmacy. You might have to ask a pharmacist for them. It makes keeping sodium up easy to just swallow a couple tablets a few times a day.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    This is the cheapest and must bioavailable magnesium for the money that I've ever found.
    BulkSupplements Pure Magnesium Carbonate (Micronized) Powder (250 grams) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EOWINR2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_hgCGxbEHHCSX5

I take a heaping 1/2 tsp twice a day for about 800-ish mg It doesn't give me any bathroom issues at that level, but that varies from person to person depending on level of deficiency.
    See, if you're using a highly absorbed form, the only reason it would give you a digestive response is at the point you exceeded what your body is able to use. So ideally, you increase your daily dose day by day until you get the digestive response, then you back off just enough to not get that and that's how much your body can actually use for the over 300 enzymatic processes that magnesium is needed for each and every day.
    The same is true with vitamin C, which I also supplement in very large doses. I'm taking 10,000mg as a maintenance dose and add at least 5000mg a day when I drink alcohol or if I feel sick or get a skin breakout or have any reason to think my immune system might need an extra hand. If I took more than my body could use, it would be removed through digestion resulting in loose stool. I've actually never taken enough C for that to happen and I have taken as much as 20,000mg several times. My body must have lots of work for it to do.
    But anyway, the C thing is unrelated to Keto needs and just some of the supplementing I'm into. Not saying you need that.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I measured out a small teaspoon of salt and added it to a glass of water every morning. Otherwise I never seemed to get enough salt.

And I still salt most of my food. BTW, a bit of salt in BPC makes it even better. ;)
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I measured out a small teaspoon of salt and added it to a glass of water every morning. Otherwise I never seemed to get enough salt.

And I still salt most of my food. BTW, a bit of salt in BPC makes it even better. ;)

I agree! I like a touch of salt in mine too.
    I use a mix of pink sea salt and Celtic grey sea salt. I guess it has different minerals...???
    I tend to crave salt and will usually grind some in my hand and eat it while I'm working at the computer or watching tv or even when I'm cooking dinner. Just different times that I'll see it and just want some. The heavily mineral salts taste pretty dang good.
  • genmon00
    Options
    ok so I drank like12 ounces of bouillon water and I already feel better! the slight cramp in my toe is gone too So yes must definitely I have a sodium issue . I will look into buying the sodium tablets too since I didn't really enjoy drinking it lol Thanx for all the great advice! i <3 this forum
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Hi @genmon00 I'm in month 7 now and have kept a good handle on my fluid / electrolyte balance most of the time, but EVERY time something in my routine has changed (family visiting, moving house, new job, heatwave, increased exercise) I've had hydration challenges. It takes work to maintain that balance and small changes can cause uncomfortably noticeable effects. Its easy to get caught up in life and forget to stay on top of it. The sodium tabs are probably the most convenient solution.
  • genmon00
    Options
    Hi @genmon00 I'm in month 7 now and have kept a good handle on my fluid / electrolyte balance most of the time, but EVERY time something in my routine has changed (family visiting, moving house, new job, heatwave, increased exercise) I've had hydration challenges. It takes work to maintain that balance and small changes can cause uncomfortably noticeable effects. Its easy to get caught up in life and forget to stay on top of it. The sodium tabs are probably the most convenient solution.

thank you! I recently start my internship along with my work which had deff caused a chance to my schedule and messed me up lol I'm going to but the tablets today
  • dmariet116
    dmariet116 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I definitely need to look into salt tablets as it seems difficult for me to keep up the sodium levels with table salt alone. Which tablets are the best? Or does it even matter?
  • supergal3
    supergal3 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Had terrible Keto flu myself. Fatigue was off the charts. Finally (after several weeks) feel ok. Had to balance magnesium, sodium, water, and potassium. Took me awhile to figure out the best combo for my body.

As for sodium tablets, can't find them in my neighborhood stores, use bouillon once or twice a day as a substitute.

Keep trying and I'm sure you will figure out the best solution for you!!!
  • genmon00
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Thank you @supergal3 I'm sticking to woe no matter what so I have to make it work :)