Foot injuries, should I just "let it go"?

Options
dreamer12151
dreamer12151 Posts: 1,031 Member
Hey all..duathlete here. Didn't compete last year due to personal issues, & ended up having foot surgery in Feb (2/19/16) on this year. Just started getting back into training, my planned Du is on 8/6. Planned to enter it this coming week. Now, my other foot (not the surgery one, although that is still bothersome) is giving me grief with the PF! Been very acute the past few days, been sleeping with my brace on, rest, ect, but just the thought of just walking to kitchen is dreadful! (We all know the drill lol)

And since feet are such an important part of the whole "run-bike-run" thing, & this is the bulk of training time now, maybe this is my body's way of telling me something? Should I just let this goal go? Was a Du a little too ambitious for coming off of foot surgery? Should I concentrate on "smaller" goals now, build up to the Du next year? Thoughts?

Replies

• KathleenKP
    KathleenKP Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    What does/did your doctor say about getting back into it?
  • Robertus
    Robertus Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Yeah, listen to your doctor. If you don't like swimming, kayaking is also an excellent complement to biking.
  • dreamer12151
    Options
    Doctor said it was a go after surgery, in fact he liked my training plan, I didn't run more than 2 days in a row, rest days built in, this flare in my right foot came up after the last visit. (Surg was on left foot) I have an appointment with him on the 26th (that's when the ultrasound guy is there again). I had seen him before with the PF px, I also have a pretty decent bone spur on the heel, may be looking at a cortisone shot. :o
  • KathleenKP
    KathleenKP Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    That seems pretty close. I suppose, if you got the go-ahead on the 26th, and you are a runner with a solid enough base that you could pop out those miles (whatever length they are) relatively un-trained as-of-late, it might be doable. But, it doesn't sound like you should be doing any running until the 26th, at least.

In the meantime, can you do an elliptical type trainer to keep in running shape, or does that aggravate it more?

Assuming the above is not the case, this would probably be a better time to let it go. One event could sabotage your long-term healing. Is THIS single event really worth it? Can you find something else to do - maybe a cycling only event that would keep you working towards the overall goal of doing multi-sport?

But it also seems like you already know this, since all I can say is based on what you stated here. Are you looking for confirmation? Permission? Or maybe writing it out made things more clear? (That happens to me, BTW.)

• dreamer12151
    Options
    Thanks. After talking more with my trainer and doctor, and also myself, I have decided to pass on this year. Although...I still wanna sign up and try. I have to stop myself from logging on to the web-site!

When I went to the doctor's office on Tuesday, after the 2nd PF flare, he said that I was the 8 or 10th PF cortisone injection that he was giving that day, but by far the worst inflammation. In fact, when he walked in the room, the ultrasoundist was already scanning & he though I might have a tear going. (I don't, but good thing I stopped running when I did.)

I have restructured my training to use biking as my cardio, and ST 3x week for the next couple of weeks, then re-eval my feet, and go from there.
  • Robertus
    Robertus Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Smart decision. Don't take chances with injuries. Take it from someone who has learned from his mistakes.