How to maintain macros when you don't like veggies?

Options
tribal351
tribal351 Posts: 72 Member
I've been keto for a month. I've read tons of meal plans, and they all seem to be chock full of all the veggies I can't stand eating. Cauliflower, Broccolli, spinach... Ugh. I like raw baby spinach and asparagus, but I'm concerned that my nutrition will suffer without getting the proper nutrients.
Currently my diet is fairly consistent. 3 eggs, 1/2 cup shredded cheese, 1 sausage made in an omelette for breakfast. 1 sausage, light and fit Greek yogurt, 2 tbsp chia seeds for lunch. 3 eggs, bacon or sausage, baby spinach, cheese and 2 carb sense tortillas for dinner. No snacks. Losing weight quickly and feel great, I'm concerned about long term though.

Any advice for veggie haters?

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    vOv I'll be going zero carb soon, so if you can stand the repetitiveness, there's always the option to just eat nothing but bacon, fatty ground meats, fattier briskets, etc. If you get tired of those, there's always the option of adding oil and butter to leaner meats.
  • tribal351
    tribal351 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »
    tribal351 wrote: »
    light and fit Greek yogurt

fatfree yogurt probably isn't the best choice for keto

Maybe not, but it's high protein, low carb and I add Chia seeds for fiber. It works in my percentages, and I'm losing weight. If I stall it will be the first thing to go though.
  • karebear5891
    karebear5891 Posts: 141 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Have you thought about taking a Spirulina supplement? It is supposedly like having vegetable servings without having to eat the vegetables and is supposed to be super healthy. Wikipedia has all the nutrient info listed https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spirulina_(dietary_supplement)

**there is powder, but I personally take it in pill capsule form.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I've learned to love enough veggies, cooked the way I like them, to get my minimum recommended servings per day, which is 2 cups of the little antioxidant bombs per day. I'm not winning any awards for veggie eating, but it's a vast improvement over what I was doing before I started counting carbs and was eating bread and pasta.

My current struggle is with fruits. I'm probably going to add a serving of raw veggies and cut fruit back to 3 times a week.
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I hide veggies my kids don't like in meatloaf and sauces or whatever I can- cut em up small enough and you can't tell they are there. But I am not sure why you need veggies on LC. I'm around 20 a day and I don't eat them unless I want them. I suppose the casserole route with cauliflower could be tough but that's bland enough for me that I can hide it in any casserole I make - cheese makes everything better?
  • MiamiDawn
    MiamiDawn Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »
    tribal351 wrote: »
    light and fit Greek yogurt

fatfree yogurt probably isn't the best choice for keto
    They have the lowest carbs (9g) on the market (in my area). Haven't been able to find full fat yogurt in the grocery. I don't eat it but can't get my hubby off them. They have a couple of lower carb flavors 3g carbs for 4 ounces - vanilla cream and strawberry cream. Do you have a good alternative ?
  • Gallowmere1984
    edited July 2016
    Options
    RowdysLady wrote: »
    I hide veggies my kids don't like in meatloaf and sauces or whatever I can- cut em up small enough and you can't tell they are there. But I am not sure why you need veggies on LC. I'm around 20 a day and I don't eat them unless I want them. I suppose the casserole route with cauliflower could be tough but that's bland enough for me that I can hide it in any casserole I make - cheese makes everything better?

Usually the riced cauliflower in said casseroles is there to act as an oil sponge, so you don't end up with a meal that tries to slip off your plate if you tip it more than three degrees. It has the added benefit of adding some oft-needed texture balance. Sliced mushrooms can accomplish the exact same thing though, if people prefer those to cauliflower.
  • Gallowmere1984
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Double post, because I'm a dumb
  • closetlibrarian
    closetlibrarian Posts: 2,207 Member
    Options
    bjwoodzy wrote: »
    My problem with staying low-carb is that I LOVE VEGGIES. I almost can't eat just half a cup of butter-fried cabbage or creamed spinach, etc. I love tomatoes, peppers, and onions in abundance, too. I've had to learn to limit those to like, a tablespoon or one teeny slice, per a meal.

But there are apparently a lot of people out there who are successful on the diet without eating hardly any veg. Since you like spinach and asparagus, I think you'll be OK :)

^^This. I have to make an effort to keep the veggies in check. Having said that, how about salsa? Or pesto made with spinach and basil or kale and basil? Tapenades are also an option.
  • RobinK228
    RobinK228 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I personally hate veggies. ALL veggies. My only exception is cauliflower crust pizza.

Contrary to my parents' belief, I have not withered from scurvy or malnourishment. I have an open diary, feel free to add me if you want to peek through it. :smile:
  • Adi4Fitness
    Adi4Fitness Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    all the good stuff that makes fatty meat taste good is high in carbs .... ketchup, humus,creamy ceaser .... couple of spoons and boom 20 grams of carbs in one meal...
    How do you guys manage to stay low carb and still manage to eat some tasty food....
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    all the good stuff that makes fatty meat taste good is high in carbs .... ketchup, humus,creamy ceaser .... couple of spoons and boom 20 grams of carbs in one meal...
    How do you guys manage to stay low carb and still manage to eat some tasty food....

It's a preference thing for me. I honestly can't stand sugar and starches in quantity, and only ever ate them out of sheer laziness. Once I discovered that with minor effort (shopping once every two weeks, and about four evenings worth of meal prep in the same), I can avoid food I hate, and save a pretty good amount of money, I was all in.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Meat is fantastic with just sea salt on it, but if you must douse it with sauce, hot sauce, mayo, butter and garlic, cream and cheese sauce, I think A1 steak sauce isn't too bad... Not sure.
  • LolaDeeDaisy23
    LolaDeeDaisy23 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I wish I could eat more veggies since they are so filling but I get terrible, horrible bloat from it. Broccoli gives me the worst gas pains of life. I love salads but the lettuce bloats me as well.
    The bloat from salads is inconvenient but tolerable. Anyone else have these problems??
  • karebear5891
    karebear5891 Posts: 141 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Meat is fantastic with just sea salt on it, but if you must douse it with sauce, hot sauce, mayo, butter and garlic, cream and cheese sauce, I think A1 steak sauce isn't too bad... Not sure.

Mmmm, buttered steak is an amazing thing and so yummy. But I agree, I've never been a big condiment person preferring just to use salt and sometimes burgers w/ mayo. All my friends know that I think ketchup is the devil! The smell of it even makes me gag. This has been a well used torture device against me.