Is swimming as effortless as walking for you?

Options
MelodyandBarbells
MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
Just thought I'd check in with all you more experienced swimmers! I hear swimming can be just like walking where you just glide through the water, but only if you're relaxed enough and have proper form! Have you all found this to be the case?

Replies

• spring913
    spring913 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    From watching some others at my pool, it definitely can be as relaxed as walking. I'm not there yet. I used to be, when I was a kid and swam all the frigging time (I was on the swim team). After almost 3 months of getting back into swimming and going twice a week, it's getting better but no, not yet. In the fall I plan on taking some stroke correction lessons as I know I need improvement in a few areas. Hopefully by Christmas???? lol I think cardio fitness has a lot to do with it too. I do 50m and I need a break or I'll drown. ha. And that's purely from being out of shape.
  • playmadcats
    playmadcats Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Depends I can quite easily spend well over an hour to two doing a relaxed breaststroke. Backstroke also I'd I'm in mood and pool is empty enough. However as soon as I start picking up pace, swimming freestyle or butterfly I do have to work at it.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    It used to be... In high school, when I swam on weekends just for extra practice, my mom would come with me and count the laps because I would always lose count and never stop. She'd stop me at the mile mark because otherwise I'd go on and on and on. Looking back on it, that had to have been so boring for her, omg! I want so badly to find that "zone" again. It would help if I actually got my butt to the pool :-/