Everything we love to eat is a scam

Options
KETOGENICGURL
KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
http://nypost.com/2016/07/10/the-truth-behind-how-were-scammed-into-eating-phony-food/

Came across this article and book review..I recommend it.

I know the sea food industry particularly is bad in "naming" fish sold incorrectly for high prices, and the olive oil industry is just as bad.

This article is worth reading if you are being particular on what you buy for your LCHF diet.

This piece focuses on NYC, being a local newspaper article, but it applies to where you live too..I know our "grass fed" beef really is grass fed, and that it is also 'finished' with grains to add weight.

Shocking is that 'real' scallops are soaked in water and chemicals to add weight to them for more $$, causing them to not cook right with so much loaded moisture.

Kinda depressing really..makes me glad I am following a vegetarian LCHF diet, and buying plain raw veggies, and cooking them at home. But still, finding the RIGHT 'real' coconut oil, etc now gets added to my grocery quest.

Replies

• bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this article. The extent of corporate greed and the lack of real government oversight never ceases to amaze me. The harm this does to humans, animals, and the environment is staggering. And, for vulnerable individuals, like my one year old granddaughter with a serious peanut allergy, it's literally life threatening.
  • bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Actually, @KnitOrMiss - you'd be surprised to find out that non-western parts of the world have also changed and their diets look a lot like ours now. I saw a documentary about it - it wasn't a very popular one, and damned if I can remember it now.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @bjwoodzy - that makes me so sad!!! Trust me, we're not to be copied for being capitalists who put money/profits before everything else. *sigh*
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,955 Member
    Options
    Try not to think that the politicians care about anything other than retirement with a huge pension, and any under the table perks they can stash away.

We are simply wallets.

The last thing on their minds is healthy eating.

QFT
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    What's craziest to me is that other countries don't allow this type of shenanigans! Only we pansy US folks seem to do this crazy stuff... :(

On a related note, I read this morning (Page 76 of the current issue of Good Housekeeping Magazine) that in Canada there are 800 ingredients that have been banned or restricted for use in cosmetics. Here in the United States? 11.
  • LauraCoth
    LauraCoth Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I've been telling people for years that they are suckers for buying into "grass fed" blah blah, and "free range" this and that.
    About the only thing more nefarious is the organic subset, as that's actually causing a buttload of environmental problems and health risks, while the consumer has been duped into believing the exact opposite.

I don't know about that. Most commercial meat is full of antibiotics and hormones, which are not good for anyone with endocrine issues, like I have. The use of antibiotics in meat animals is banned in Europe because it contributes to the development of antibiotic-resistant bacterial. Not a good idea.

I would much rather buy my meat from local farms here that demonstrably pasture their animals and feed them grass (you can see them in the fields) and feed their chickens a vegetarian diet.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    LauraCoth wrote: »
    I've been telling people for years that they are suckers for buying into "grass fed" blah blah, and "free range" this and that.
    About the only thing more nefarious is the organic subset, as that's actually causing a buttload of environmental problems and health risks, while the consumer has been duped into believing the exact opposite.

I don't know about that. Most commercial meat is full of antibiotics and hormones, which are not good for anyone with endocrine issues, like I have. The use of antibiotics in meat animals is banned in Europe because it contributes to the development of antibiotic-resistant bacterial. Not a good idea.

I would much rather buy my meat from local farms here that demonstrably pasture their animals and feed them grass (you can see them in the fields) and feed their chickens a vegetarian diet.

Oh yeah, if you can actually put eyes on your food, that's the way to go. I was referring to the blind trust of labels that everyone seems to be okay with, because it gives them good feels, or something.
  • LauraCoth
    LauraCoth Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Yes, that I get. I'm not sure how "organic" is policed. Still, where we are we're lucky to be able to buy from farms that say they're organic, and the stuff is nice, so I guess that's something.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    Yes, that I get. I'm not sure how "organic" is policed. Still, where we are we're lucky to be able to buy from farms that say they're organic, and the stuff is nice, so I guess that's something.

The problem with organic is that most of the things non-organic farmers use (fertilizers, hormones, etc.) are there to increase yield. It's not just about profits as some like to speculate. We literally don't have enough viable land to feed our current population if every farm were to go organic. We'd be back to the 20s, so far as food production goes.
    Also, since the market for organic stuff is smaller, there tends to be more freight hauling involved (smaller loads, longer hauls, etc.) which increases emissions output from the trucks used to move the goods. There are a whole lot of factors that people don't think about.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    In Canada there are 800 ingredients that have been banned or restricted for use in cosmetics. Here in the United States? 11.

Let's see...

DDT
    Arsenic
    LSD
    Laetrile

.... what did I miss?
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

The problem with organic is that most of the things non-organic farmers use (fertilizers, hormones, etc.) are there to increase yield. It's not just about profits as some like to speculate. We literally don't have enough viable land to feed our current population if every farm were to go organic. We'd be back to the 20s, so far as food production goes.
    Also, since the market for organic stuff is smaller, there tends to be more freight hauling involved (smaller loads, longer hauls, etc.) which increases emissions output from the trucks used to move the goods. There are a whole lot of factors that people don't think about.

30% of the food grown is never eaten, I'm pretty sure the US grows enough food for the whole country at portions that are healthy and not oversized. If it were organic there would probably still be enough.
    news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2014/10/141013-food-waste-national-security-environment-science-ngfood/
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »

30% of the food grown is never eaten, I'm pretty sure the US grows enough food for the whole country at portions that are healthy and not oversized. If it were organic there would probably still be enough.
    news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2014/10/141013-food-waste-national-security-environment-science-ngfood/

If we could get rid of that entire 30%, and get the entire population to their actual required intake then yes, it would be just enough. However, to believe that can happen, without going to some form of imposed rationing, is a bit of a stretch. One would also need to account for those who may have higher caloric requirements (strength and endurance athletes come to mind), and the whole thing just gets way too hazy to be able to draw on such a fine line.

Essentially, we spent centuries trying to create a "land of plenty". Then it got abused. Now we would have to figure out how to pull back the reins on that, without causing some seriously nasty fallout. Personally, I'm not okay with the thought of rations, "breadlines", and a sect of starving populace (you know it will be the working poor), just so we can feel a bit better about our environmental impact.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I've heard that the olive oil from Italy is far better than the oil sold here, but I can't afford to travel to Italy to confirm, lol. I've heard they even blend olive oil together with vegetable oil to increase their profits here. Italy it's 100% olive oil. The only thing I've been told was to look for olive oil sold in dark bottles or dark containers, because that's how it stores best.

Edit: Oh the article talks about the olive oil too. Should have read it before I posted!
  • MaryDeLoria
    MaryDeLoria Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Sarahb29 wrote: »
    I've heard that the olive oil from Italy is far better than the oil sold here, but I can't afford to travel to Italy to confirm, lol. I've heard they even blend olive oil together with vegetable oil to increase their profits here. Italy it's 100% olive oil. The only thing I've been told was to look for olive oil sold in dark bottles or dark containers, because that's how it stores best.

Edit: Oh the article talks about the olive oil too. Should have read it before I posted!

I can confirm: Italy's olive oil is amazing. I could (and did) practically live on it.
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Wow, I'm really bummed out about the seafood, esp. sushi.. I guess I could live on "Roquefort cheese and Champagne from France, Bologna meat and Chianti from Italy and Scotch from Scotland"
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Costco has the best coconut oil I have ever found!

I feel very fortunate to live in a rural area where I can see the farms my food comes from and feel certain I can trust what the farmers say about what they are or are not putting on their fields and feeding their animals.