Heavy Whipping Cream brands

Options
kirkor
kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
What are your favorite brands of Heavy Whipping Cream?

Is anyone concerned about carageenan?

How is the "Sarah Farms" from Costco?

I'm looking at doing 30 days of liquid food as an experiment --- here are some examples: https://diy.soylent.com/recipes?tags=Ketogenic

Ordinarily I don't do much dairy, but since I'll be hitting the whey pretty hard for this project, I figured I'd to HWC too.

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I am able to get a brand called Snowville that is local to Ohio. Because it's only available at one store near me, sometimes I have to grab something else for convenience and I try to get whatever is organic. I figure it's my best option then.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I just use Land O' Lakes, because it is literally the only HWC in any store around me, except Whole Foods, and seriously, *kitten* them.
  • dmariet116
    dmariet116 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Organic Valley contains only organic grade A cream if you can find it so no worries about preservative or additives
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I just use the cheap stuff...no organics or good quality regularly available where I shop...
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Due to budgetary constraints, I buy the kind with carageenan in it because it's least expensive. What is the concern with carageenan anyway? I have done zero research on what it is and why it's less than ideal...
  • closetlibrarian
    closetlibrarian Posts: 2,207 Member
    Options
    I prefer raw milk products when I can get them, but not all states allow sale of raw milk products: http://www.organicpastures.com/cream/

Alternatively, I like Strauss organics: http://strausfamilycreamery.com/products/organic-milk-cream
  • KarenEllerbe
    KarenEllerbe Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I use Organic Valley when I have the extra $$$; Land O Lakes when I don't. I prefer the flavor of Land O Lakes. I used to use their half n half too before LCHF!! I tend not to be picky about organic or not. I mostly shop according to my budget that week!!
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I buy store brand.
  • dmariet116
    Options
    If just concerned about carb content, Land o Lakes has 0 carbs.
  • dmariet116
    Options
    That is a great price for 1/2 gallon!!!
  • dmariet116
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss Good to know! Most labels state <1g per serving/0% daily value (obviously rounded down) but Land O Lakes label has 0g per serving/0% daily value so that's why I thought it didn't contain any. Thanks for the info!
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »
    As you can see, I did my research:

+1 Maniac
  • bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I'm a Minnesoh-tah native. OF COURSE I use Land O' Lakes! DUH!
  • bjwoodzy
    Options
    I didn't know LOL used carageenan. I have the shake the bejesus out of my hwc carton before pouring some out, or else the milkfat can be lumpy.
  • bjwoodzy
    edited July 2016
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »
    Checked out a different Costco location, and they had the 1/2 gallon of Horizon for 9.99 so that seems like a nice intersection of price and quality.[/img]

Thank you for this! Not sure if the hwc at Costo is reason enough for me to reinstate my business member card - I think I have to just go back one of these days and have a look around with LC googles on and see what's new, too. Buying in bulk makes very little sense for someone like me, who lives paycheck-to-paycheck (hopefully not forever) and is single/lives alone. I got my card because I used to go shop with my mom (disabled) all the time...but it was pre LC/Keto days.

• RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Great tip.

I occasionally find really good deals on unfamilar brands of olives and all sorts of fermented foods at ethnic grocers.