Logging PokemonGo as Cardio?

Options
jaymo602
jaymo602 Posts: 52 Member
I spent about 10 hours yesterday running around chasing those Pokemon down, and am now trying to figure out how to log my calories. I figure this would log down as cardio time, but the workout was quite intensive.

Here is a list of what I did -
  • Climbed up two very steep mountains
  • I crossed two turbulent rivers that were waste high with water
  • Spent some time running after a moving truck for about 30 minutes (Pokemon sitting on the tailgate)
  • allot of energy spent walking through shrubs and bushes, as well as a quick tree climbing.

I am thinking that some of this may be considered weight training, and I am trying to figure out how to adjust my calories to make up the difference...

(FYI....This is meant totally "tongue in cheek")

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    If you have a step counter on your phone, I'd go for that, assuming you don't have a fitness tracker. Other than that, honestly, I think I would google it just for fun, because you know some other wacky people have probably already figured it out. I love that this is getting folks moving, but it scares me from the data tracking, mining, and hacking aspects... I don't have a data plan on my phone, so even if I was interested, which I'm not, I wouldn't be able to participate except wifi zones, which I'm sure are already heavily picked over... LOL
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    you can track distance walked in your stats
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    So if Pokemon hunting counts, does that mean I can log my cleaning too? Lol >:)
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @Bonny132 - I do, because I ALWAYS break a sweat and I have my calories set at sedentary, but I'm one of those who only loosely tracks, if that. I eat to hunger, and I do okay. Sometimes i track it just for fun. Mainly because it isn't something I do every day so it's not a normal activity.
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I was thinking the same thing.....will Pokemon Go make me get up off my butt???
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I haven't downloaded the game because of the privacy concerns and that I won't find any Pokemon. But I do play Zombies Run! (I know... so retro... but it is fun). Since I wear a Fitbit Surge (has HRM), I get exercise tracking for my runs there. However, I just realized I can sync Zombies Run! to Runkeeper, and Runkeeper syncs to MFP and Fitbit. So now that the data is coming in through Runkeeper, I should start seeing wall posts automatically now. I haven't tested it out because I haven't been able to run since Sat. (been busy), but am eager to give it a go.
  • Midnightgypsy0
    Midnightgypsy0 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    If you are not sitting or sleeping then you ARE burning up some calories. Even then you will burn a few breathing and pumping blood.

I track my steps all day.
    Burns up about 250 or more every day without sweating in a gym.
  • SherriJo5830
    SherriJo5830 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Walked 9.75 miles the other day with my daughter while she got those Pokemon. Got me off my butt and not even realizing we walked that much in miles. Having fun and still got a good workout.
  • billr42
    billr42 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Try to figure out how much time you spent idle v.s. walking. Then log that as hiking.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    LOL

I am looking forward to this coming to Canada. It looks like a lot of fun. My boys woudl LOVE it!
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,059 Member
    Options
    I am in Canada and I can see that thousands of people where I live have creatively downloaded this app even though it's not yet available in Canada. While on my usual walk to the park, I was astounded to see hundreds of youngish people in an area typically not frequented by this demographic. I walk there for the serenity, so was surprised to see my park so heavily populated ! Apparently sightings of people playing this game have been noted all over our city and I am sure that once this app is available, even more people will be out walking. It's great to see so many people who may not have thought it beneficial to move their bodies regularly.... Actually out there walking and interacting possibly more than they would if they were all back home in isolation in their devices. I must admit however, that the spectacle distracted my attention away from the nature I had come to view, a peaceful garden with a lily pond ....,
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Kitnthecat wrote: »
    I am in Canada and I can see that thousands of people where I live have creatively downloaded this app even though it's not yet available in Canada. While on my usual walk to the park, I was astounded to see hundreds of youngish people in an area typically not frequented by this demographic. I walk there for the serenity, so was surprised to see my park so heavily populated ! Apparently sightings of people playing this game have been noted all over our city and I am sure that once this app is available, even more people will be out walking. It's great to see so many people who may not have thought it beneficial to move their bodies regularly.... Actually out there walking and interacting possibly more than they would if they were all back home in isolation in their devices. I must admit however, that the spectacle distracted my attention away from the nature I had come to view, a peaceful garden with a lily pond ....,

If we get an Americal itunes account and change our location settings we can do it but it can mess with your other itunes stuff... and I'm not computer savy.

So.... pokemon like your lily pond, eh? LOL
  • Kitnthecat
    Options
    Yes, they like the sculpture garden where the ponds are..... It is a local attraction.
  • Kitnthecat
    Options
    Lol..... These young people looked so out of their element out in nature.....
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I was at the University of South Alabama on Friday, waiting for my son, and these people were just randomly walking through the parking lot. You could tell they weren't paying attention to their surroundings, as one guy almost walked into a car before changing course! I won't be playing, but hope those that do will stay safe!
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I love that technology is inspiring young people to go outside, kinda reminds me of when the Walkman was invented, I spent every weekend outside on my rollerskates once my tunes became portable!