If you're in the US: good price for almond flour?

Options
macchiatto
macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
Anyone know? I saw I could get 4 1-lb packages of Bob's Red Mill almond flour for $31.93 (subscribe & save). Is that a good price? I have been wanting to try it and know it can be expensive but haven't really priced it out yet.

Here's the link if anyone else wants to buy it:
https://www.amazon.com/Bobs-Red-Mill-Super-Fine-16-ounce/dp/B000EDG598/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&dpID=51eF8zNZZ0L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160,160_&psc=1&refRID=DVW3RE0YFK1SY2B72700&linkCode=sl1&tag=thegregal-20&linkId=db854cba07156933292e42902fe10575

Replies

• Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    it's a good price but I wouldn't buy Bob's Red Mill, many recipes you'll find online state not to use it because even though it says it is super fine, it is not fine enough and the recipe won't turn out. Most recommend Honeyville, which you can get from Amazon for $41.98 for 5lb (and they offer 3lb and 6lb sizes too). I personally have always bought Wellbees Super Fine because it is cheaper than Honeyville at $37.99/5lb
  • Phrick
    Options
    Is there a Winco store near you? They carry Bob's Red Mill Almond Meal (NOT super fine, but good for initial trying) in bulk foods...
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    If you are in the US, Amazon has 1lb bags of it, there's one that's highly rated and it isn't Bobs Red Mill. I haven't tried it myself but would get it there if I planned on doing lots of baking.

Edit: Link
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Keep in mind almond flour can go bad/stale too so 4lbs of flour seems a bit excessive to buy all at once. If you do buy a lot of it make sure to get really good storage containers for it, those air tight kinds.

Link 2
  • Phrick
    Options
    Sarahb29 wrote: »
    Keep in mind almond flour can go bad/stale too so 4lbs of flour seems a bit excessive to buy all at once. If you do buy a lot of it make sure to get really good storage containers for it, those air tight kinds.

Link 2

This is good to be aware of - I keep my almond flour and coconut flour both in the refrigerator because of this (although we go through it pretty fast)
  • noclady1995
    noclady1995 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    My co-worker has a membership at Costco and she bought me a bag of the Honeyville brand (3 lbs) for $22 and that was a pretty good deal. I really like this brand because the things I make come out much less grainy than Bobs Red Mill brand.
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Phrick wrote: »
    it's a good price but I wouldn't buy Bob's Red Mill, many recipes you'll find online state not to use it because even though it says it is super fine, it is not fine enough and the recipe won't turn out. Most recommend Honeyville, which you can get from Amazon for $41.98 for 5lb (and they offer 3lb and 6lb sizes too). I personally have always bought Wellbees Super Fine because it is cheaper than Honeyville at $37.99/5lb

I have a bag in my baking cabinet right now and it's oh so grainy! I probably will never use it again.
  • pdxhak
    pdxhak Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    If you have a high powered blender like a Vitamix then you can make it yourself
  • reblazed
    reblazed Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I get mine by the pound from Nuts.com for $8.99 and my coconut flour for $5.99. I don't use enough to buy larger amounts.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Thanks, all.
    Oh, I wish I had a Vitamix.
    Thus far I really haven't done much baking. Good to know it doesn't keep so maybe I'll just buy 1 lb for now! I still haven't used the coconut flour or the xylitol I bought in November when I started keto ... (though partly b/c I heard after I bought it that coconut flour is better mixed with almond flour so maybe I'll get more into it once I have both!).
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Sharp shopper if you have one near you, or vitacost.com which has good prices usually but great prices if you can get what you need on sale.
  • karebear5891
    karebear5891 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's near me has a lb for $7. I live in CT where prices tend to be high, so it may differ near you.
  • treehugnmama
    treehugnmama Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I keep mine in the freezer. My daughter loves French macro on and they an be quite finicky...I use bobs and never had a problem.