Also, who makes their own yogurt?

Options
macchiatto
macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
I think I remember @lithezebra does? Anyone else? Is it much work? Advantages to making your own? Thinking about giving it a try.

Replies

• Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    i do sometimes, it's so easy you'll wonder why you never did it before (and I do it an arguably "harder" way than probably strictly necessary)

I use whole milk, and generally add in a cup or so of heavy whipping cream (although the last 2 times I tried that method failed and I'm not sure where the error was - ETA: I think maybe my current oven light is LED not traditional so it didn't maintain the temp high enough? The two fails were the only times I've ever tried the oven light method)

1/2 gallon milk - heat gently on medium heat to 180 degrees - let cool to about 110 - ladle some out (1/2 cup?) and add about 2 tsp of yogurt culture (I use 2 tsp Fage Total plain yogurt, any plain yogurt with cultures will do, or in future batches, reserve a few tsp to culture your next batch). Anyway, mix it in to the milk mixture you ladled out then mix it back in the rest. Cover and put in the oven with the oven light on for 6-24 hours (longer = tarter, because the bacteria eat more of the lactose in the milk).

Or my method is all the same only I put the covered pot of yogurt in a large cooler - one layer of bath towel on bottom, then 4 quart jars of HOT water - 2 on each side of the yogurt pot (filled 3/4 with hottest tap water I can get and then topped off with boiling from the kettle, sealed); cover top with 2 more layers of bath towels, close lid and culture the 6-24 hours (I've never cultured it longer than 18 hrs).

Then after all this if you want the thickness of Greek yogurt you can strain it through an ultra fine mesh Bouillon strainer, cheese cloth, coffee filters. If you want.
  • KetoGirl83
    KetoGirl83 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I do it sometimes too, but the easy way. I have a yogurt maker so you just have to mix one plain yogurt with warm milk, fill the pots, place the pots in the maker and wait. Overnight is best, I then place the pots in the fridge or, more often, use the yogurt as a base for some frozen fat bomb.

I don't do it more often because I looove the texture and taste of Oikos plain unsweetened Greek yogurt and to buy it is an even easier way to get good yogurt. :D

::flowerforyou::
  • Chelebelle1701
    Chelebelle1701 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I make it in the crock pot and strain it after it is done saving the whey.
  • ambergem1969
    ambergem1969 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I have an Instant Pot and make it using table cream (18%). Love it! It's hard to find good fatty yogurt here so it is easier to make my own. I usually "cook" it for 12-16 hours to give the bacteria a chance to eat up as much of the sugar as possible.
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Me too. I am lactose intolerant so.....

I use whole lactose free milk. Heated until scalded, cool until baby bottle warm, add 1/2 cup full fat greek yogurt and mix well, put in container(s) in either 1) yogurt maker, 2) food dryer or 3) 115 degree F oven. (Oven light on will sometime get to this temp) Leave for 12 hours. Yogs in about 8 but because of lactose in the starter, I leave it for longer to eat any lactose.

My mother used a heating pad, or the top of the refrigerator with towels around the bowl. I find the yogurt maker much easier :)

Tastes much better.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I love it and try to eat it everyday. I've got it down to a science. I've tried so many different methods, temps, cultures, time, milks. I do a combo Greek/Bulgarian culture yogurt. When done, it has no whey. Its really thick.

The yogurt makers you buy for $20, just weren't big enough. I purchased a heating mat and a temp controller. I set my controller at 110 to 114F. I then cover them up with towels. By the morning, its done (8-12 hrs.) Tonight I'm making 24 pints. Here is my method:

Milk

I've tried just about every milk. Raw milk, goat milk, organic milk, homogenized, pasteurized, heating the milk, not heating the milk, different brands. But the best milk, for me, has been Whole milk. Like $1.99 @ gallon milk. No hormones (which is everywhere in Michigan stores). Its your normal homogenized, pasteurized milk.

Optional: If I absolutely don't want any whey, I add some half and half or HWC to the milk ~ maybe 2 -3 cups per gallon(s).

Step 1: Heat the milk I put the milk in a large pot and heat to 160° - 180° F, constantly stirring. I use a cheap digital thermometer ($8) to constantly check the temp. I made a small piece to hold the thermometer in the milk at all times, so I can moniter the progress. Once it gets to 160°, I turn my electric burner down to medium. I set timer for 20 minutes and keep the temp in that range.

Step 2: Cool the milk. After 20 minutes is up, I take the pot and put in my sink (with stopper in) and fill sink with water to rapidly cool down the milk.

Step 3: Put in jars When it gets down to 115° (or lower), I don't like doing in single pots (like a crock pot) ~ I put mine in pint (2 cups) Mason jars. I leave a little space at top (so I can add the starter culture).

Step 4: Add Starter Culture:

I use Cultures for Health starter. When I ran out one time, I went to store and bought Chobani Plain full fat Greek yogurt and added it to my jars. I found out that the Chobani worked very well. I have mixed them together and it works great. The Chobani has both Burgarian and Greek cultures in it. I add a heaping tablespoon to every pint jar. I stir it in, then put lid on jar.

Step 5: Culturing the Milk using a Controller & Heat Mat

I use a foot warming mat (Amazon or eBay), its big enough to put 24 pint jars on it. I use a temp controller and set at 114° F. I tape the thermocouple to the outside of a single jar and place it centrally amongst all the jars. I cover the jars up with three large towels. I culture them at temp for 8-12 hours.

Step 6, Wait 8-12 hours, place in Fridge In the morning, they're done. They have no whey or maybe a tablespoon at most, which I usually don't bother with draining it. Place in fridge.

Step 7: Eat and enjoy: I put frozen berries on it, sometimes stick blending them in and place in freezer for 30-40 minutes and it makes a wonderful ice cream like mixture. Usually I add "Just Like Sugar" for my sweetener (all fiber).

I really like adding roasted salted pecans to my yogurt and sometimes some ready whip or other whipping cream.

Step 8: Keep one jar for next batch. Don't eat the last pint of yogurt! That is your starter for the next batch!

If anyone wants to know which temp controller and heating mat I used, just ask and I'll find a link.

I hope this helps,
    Dan the Man from Michigan
    Keto / The Recipe Water Fasting / E.A.S.Y. Exercise Program
    v1bk0hqkhxv5.jpg

h90tqhjr2pfj.gif