How do I increase without hurting myself

Options
Leighburns279
Leighburns279 Posts: 21 Member
I am new to lifting. I have been doing 30lb. Bench press and 50 on my legs. I am wanting to increase the amount I lift just not sure how to go about doing it without hurting myself? Any advice would greatly be appreciated.

Replies

• mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Incrementally. Slowly add more weight.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Start with 5lbs and see how it feels. If you can't increase weight, increase volume but adding reps or sets.
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    CaffeinatedConfectionist Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Start with 5lbs and see how it feels. If you can't increase weight, increase volume but adding reps or sets.

This. Also, if you're completely new to lifting, you may want to consider following a program, such as StrongLifts, Starting Strength, NROL, etc, if you aren't already. These programs are designed to help you progressively add to your lifts, and also help you ensure that you have a well-rounded program.
  • pattyandthemoos
    pattyandthemoos Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how you are doing things. There are so many ways you can go about things. I learned how to lift from bodyforlife.com but now I do my own thing. When I want to increase my weight, I don't always increase all my sets at one time. Sometimes I'll add 5 lbs to the last set and see if I can do it. And then the next workout I might add 5 lbs to the last two or the last three sets. The point is that you increase what you're doing. If it's a smaller muscle that I can't bump up as easily on I'll just try to do more reps on the last set or the last two sets. That's just how I do things. I think once you've been doing this a while you'll find a system that works for you. And there are alot of great plans if you want to follow someone else's. I like the ones on bodybuilding.com alot too.
  • modmom1
    modmom1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    You can lower the sets in your reps. For example if you're repping 12 for 3 sets, switch to a higher weight and rep 8 for 3 sets. As you get stronger, go to 10 reps. Once you can clearly rep that weight at 12 reps then add weight, drop the reps and start building again.
  • pattyandthemoos
    pattyandthemoos Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    modmom1 wrote: »
    You can lower the sets in your reps. For example if you're repping 12 for 3 sets, switch to a higher weight and rep 8 for 3 sets. As you get stronger, go to 10 reps. Once you can clearly rep that weight at 12 reps then add weight, drop the reps and start building again.

I do this too.