I am so rubbing off on my kids ...

Options
macchiatto
macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
I have 7y/o twin boys.
After they told me about how they had grape Fanta once at school "which is SO bad for you, because it's so full of sugar, right, Mom?" ...

they are now sitting at the table eating their lunch. One of them said to his brother, "So I'm high carb, low fat, since it's bad to be high carb and high fat," (and he is not interested in giving up too many of his carbs ;) ) and the other replied, "I'm mid-carb, high fat." ;) (That one has actually been going lower and lower carb since I've been eating this way. It's interesting to see. He no longer likes bread, for one thing, and he's always disliked things that are too sweet.) Family dinners also tend to be LCHF.

Replies

• RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I'm so envious...I want muy daughters to get on board. But they are less impressionable at 11 and 16.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    They will still pick it up...the 16 year old may not talk about it, but she's still absorbing things.
  • genmon00
    genmon00 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    My 7 soon to be 8 year is slowly picking some things too. He no longer eats sugary cereal "because it has too much sugar". And he is trying more veggies although he does ingest too many of them but since I have them at all of dinners, he is more open to them. :)
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    That's utterly adorable!
  • BogQueen1
    BogQueen1 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I noticed this weekend my stepdaughter switching to diet coke (of all things). I haven't tried to influence her eating one teeny bit, she's a strong, healthy eight year old who clearly doesn't have the metabolic problems I do (both of her parents are, and remain, quite thin) so I don't see the need to do much with her diet except the normal 'no sorry you didn't eat your dinner so you aren't getting any ice cream, but you can have a baloney sandwich if you are hungry'. I don't keep pop in the house, full stop, and when I go out, it's diet for me, or just water, but she normally gets root beer. At a place with no root beer? It was diet coke. Seemed very out of character, I've never seen her grab diet anything.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    I am so cracking up over this thread!! LOL :D
  • macchiatto
    Options
    Yeah, I haven't pushed much on them (their meal is more "standard healthy" in a sense; moderate carb/fat/protein, some treats but not too much sugar, whole grains rather than white bread or pasta, etc.) but they often ask me questions about what I'm eating, or why I'm not eating certain parts of the meal or desserts that they're having, etc. It's been neat to see their interest, watch them reading the nutrition info on cereal boxes, etc.
  • macchiatto
    Options
    And until recently, one of them would always say "carve" instead of "carb" and his brother would always correct him. ;)
  • dmariet116
    dmariet116 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    My 16 yo has started keto with me. She has always hated fruits and veggies, even gagging on strained peaches as a baby!!! Lol! But she definitely loves her carb in noodle and bread forms. She is very sensitive about her weight as are all teens. So far she is doing great and lost 8 lbs in 2 weeks!!! Hopefully she can stay motivated when school starts! Peer pressure is a b***h at that age.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    RowdysLady wrote: »
    I'm so envious...I want muy daughters to get on board. But they are less impressionable at 11 and 16.

I'm surprised, because at those ages I was the most interested in losing weight and didn't know how to (other than being told "eat less").
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Sarahb29 wrote: »

I'm surprised, because at those ages I was the most interested in losing weight and didn't know how to (other than being told "eat less").

My daughter was in that 8-12 age range when she started wanting to get in the kitchen and have more control over what we ate, too. @RowdysLady - I wonder if they would enjoy family outings to the Farmer's Market or whole foods type store near you? An article I read once suggested having kiddos pick out new veggies/foods to try - looking up recipes together, and trying the foods together. The rule was you had to eat two bites, or something, but kids always seem more invested when 1) the food is something they choose, 2) the food interested them for some reason, and 3) they feel like they have "say" in the family food consumption, etc. Just a thought.

My daughter and I used to do this - watch kitchen shows together and pick out recipes to try, and all kinds of interesting stuff...
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Sarahb29 wrote: »

My daughter was in that 8-12 age range when she started wanting to get in the kitchen and have more control over what we ate, too. @RowdysLady - I wonder if they would enjoy family outings to the Farmer's Market or whole foods type store near you? An article I read once suggested having kiddos pick out new veggies/foods to try - looking up recipes together, and trying the foods together. The rule was you had to eat two bites, or something, but kids always seem more invested when 1) the food is something they choose, 2) the food interested them for some reason, and 3) they feel like they have "say" in the family food consumption, etc. Just a thought.

My daughter and I used to do this - watch kitchen shows together and pick out recipes to try, and all kinds of interesting stuff...

That totally works for my 11 year old. She loves to cook. Anna however....she is16 and asked me last night how I got the onions in such even rings with holes in them. We had a great laugh over that! She's really smart..just not kitchen savvy and doesn't want to be.