Julia Child and LCHF Cooking

Options
JessiokaFroka
JessiokaFroka Posts: 149 Member
I've re-discovered French cooking! With the exception of breads and dessert (obviously...) Julia Child's 'Mastering the Art of French Cooking' is largely LCHF. Her sauces are full of butter and egg yolks and they're all just YUM. There are lots of veggie and meat dishes as well.

I've been watching her series "The Way to Cook" lessons on YouTube and there are some super-easy, genius LCHF recipes therein.

Anyone have a Julia Child favorite as a go-to meal?

Replies

• Kirstie155
    Kirstie155 Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I don't but you have me wanting to dig out my old vintage Julia cookbook and find some new favorites! Please share If you find anything
    :-)
  • JessiokaFroka
    JessiokaFroka Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    @Kirstie155 I have hollandaise sauce with eggs at least once per week. You can make it the looooong way (a la Julia) or you can make it in the microwave and it's perfectly wonderful.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,056 Member
    Options
    Love Julia Child ! Makes me crave some boeuf bourgignon .... Oh how do you spell that anyway? Or a perfect omelette with butter on top ? Yum.... Or any roasted meat...
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    And she was always adding piles of salt in her cooking shows, lol. Musta been LCHF before the trend.
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Love Julia! I found some of my mother's and grandmother's old cookbooks. They are an excellent resource for good LCHF ideas.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Julia is the best! I haven't tried her recipes because I assumed they'd be all high carb, but now I want to :)
  • dragonflylady94
    dragonflylady94 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Yes!! I have noticed this about "old style" cooking...remember when food was real?
  • Kirstie155
    Kirstie155 Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    @Kirstie155 I have hollandaise sauce with eggs at least once per week. You can make it the looooong way (a la Julia) or you can make it in the microwave and it's perfectly wonderful.

I havent had hollandaise in ages...was always afraid of all that fat *rolls eyes* Might make a mugful for dinner. Hollandaise soup, yummm.
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    so cool. One of the things that's the most irritating for me is I find these wonderful recipes online but I HATE bringing my phone to the kitchen to read the recipe and I'm sure not writing it down.. I think I should buy a couple of LCHF cookbooks but then I don't want to spend the money. ...yeah yeah...It's all my own fault if I have no new recipes. Maybe I have them in my own Joy of Cooking Cookbook - Not Julia but certainly written many many many years before everything was low fat.
  • NonnaTurtle
    NonnaTurtle Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Man, this takes back. I can vividly remember watching Julia on WGBH up in Boston, when I was a kid. Her shows were so much fun to watch. And her recipes still can't be beat. Love me some Julia

thanks for the happy blast from the past memories <3<3<3
  • bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Awesome.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @RowdysLady - Maybe time to look and see if there's a Julia app? That way no data usage? I do a lot of screenshots on my phone when on wifi, but I also don't have major issues taking my phone in the kitchen - just in using it there. LOL Screen's too small.

@nicsflyingcircus - I do this LOTS!!!
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Hahaha, I run back and forth between my desktop in the office, and the kitchen when I'm working a new recipe. That way I save a tree, AND get my exercise. :D
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Somebody on this group mentioned http://www.copymethat.com/sharing/ for clipping recipes... I use it on my ipad in the kitchen. Also did the same with Evernote. Saves paper!

I still have the two battered old 1930s-40s era cookbooks my mom and dad used. Recipes for geese and offal included... looks like this image from the innernetz:

36bistjui375.jpg
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    RowdysLady wrote: »
    The inappropriate jokes I could make re: that recipe for roast beaver a al Michigan...sigh...

I'm having a very difficult time not hitting that post button myself. :D

>:) or o:)

• Zenwenner
    Zenwenner Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Same here! *giggle*