Greek Yogurt Bowl Recipes

Options
bowlerae
bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
Hello everyone,

I'm getting back into a keto lifestyle after having several weeks of poor eating. I love Greek yogurt but unfortunately my favorite brand, Dannon Light & Fit Vanilla, is nonfat. Dannon does not seem to have a full fat version. I researched some brands and everyone seemed to really like Fage Total with full fat so that is what I bought. Let me tell you that I DESPISE the taste even with berries in it. It just tastes very bland and almost bitter to me.

I was wondering about some keto-friendly ways to make it taste better, obviously berries aren't enough. I've heard of people mixing in peanut butter, shredded coconut, stevia, etc. If anybody has a tasty recipe please share it and include proportions.

Also, I'm eating the plain version of Fage Total. Does anyone know if there is a vanilla version that is substantially better? That could be the easiest fix.

Thank you!

Replies

• Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    well you could mix in a touch of vanilla extract and a little bit of your favorite sweetener to make it work, that's probably the fastest and easiest fix (I personally put about 2 tsp of Torani sugar free vanilla syrup in per 250g of Fage Total). I also like to make Maria Emmerich's nut granola and put that on it - http://mariamindbodyhealth.com/low-carb-granola/
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Walnuts and honey - or some other sweetener if small amounts of honey are not within your guidelines
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    Sweet Leaf brand vanilla crème stevia drops are wonderful in the Fage Total. That's how I get my husband who is not low carb and used to super sweet yogurt to eat it! :)
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    I eat Greek yogurt almost every day. I put liquid vanilla stevia (Vitacost brand) in it. Delicious! Sometimes, I eat it with just the stevia. Other times, I add one or more fixings that typically include chopped nuts and/or berries. On occasion, I add peanut butter or peanut butter slim (without the stevia) or some chopped apple.
  • KetoGirl83
    KetoGirl83 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I add 1-2 tsp of instant coffee/decaf. It also works with plain cocoa powder but it may need a drop of sweetener.

::flowerforyou::
  • bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    anglyn1 wrote: »
    Sweet Leaf brand vanilla crème stevia drops are wonderful in the Fage Total. That's how I get my husband who is not low carb and used to super sweet yogurt to eat it! :)

I have some of this in my pantry, I will test it out with a tbsp on yogurt first so to not waste it in case it doesn't work out.

I think peanut butter and yogurt sounds kind of yuck to me even though I love both individually.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    bowlerae wrote: »
    anglyn1 wrote: »

I have some of this in my pantry, I will test it out with a tbsp on yogurt first so to not waste it in case it doesn't work out.

I think peanut butter and yogurt sounds kind of yuck to me even though I love both individually.

A little bit of the stevia drops can go a long way so add slowly!
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    When I used to eat around 100 g carbs/day I would have plain Fage yogurt mixed with unsweetened cocoa powder & chia seeds with a bit of stevia. I'd make it at night and eat it the next night for dessert to let the chia seeds swell up, it's like chocolatey tapioca and is totally yum. I keep the carbs super low now though, so I just nibble on 90% cocoa chocolate if I fancy something sweet.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Inulin: Just Like Sugar (100% fiber) and roasted salted pecans. I make homemade Greek yogurt. There's another thread where I outline how I make it, find it.

Dan the Man from Michigan
  • bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I don't miss yogurt, having only enjoyed it every once in awhile. I'm glad I never got really sucked into the whole eating yogurt rage. I pretty much only ate Greek yogurt and mostly used it in sauces, salad dressings, and as a sub for sour cream. Now sour cream is my new Greek yogurt, because it's lower in carbs and higher in fat. Hah, irony.
  • becwana
    becwana Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I use that brand and add a small amount of lemon extract, liquid stevia and have it with raspberries. I also sometimes have it with vanilla extract, liquid stevia and berries and then too it with mixed nuts, seeds and coconut.
  • KeithF6250
    KeithF6250 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I use the Walmart house brand plain whole milk Greek yogurt usually mixed with nuts and cinnamon. After reading this I think I will try with unsweetened cocoa powder & nuts,
  • jenfitz
    jenfitz Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I have been having trouble getting my protein in (no trouble eating fat mind you!) So I go for Oikos triple zero flavored greek yogurt. They are sweetened with stevia and have 15gr. of protein in each container! yum