Taking the Plunge

Options
genmon00
genmon00 Posts: 604 Member
I have been on a LC journey again since May. My first time around I was single and only had to worry about what I ate myself. Now I am married with two small children. I generally make all the meals and since going LC, our meals are usually a meat and veggies. However my husband has a HUGE sweet tooth and insists on having something sweet after every meal. He's thin and doesn't have diabetes or high blood pressure so he doesn't see the need to change the way he eats. My kids take after to me, a little bit on the chubbier side and I know they are pre-disposed for diabetes since I have it and so does all my side of the family. I would like to find a way to keep "sweets" around our home without torturing myself lol and creating bad habits for my boys. I was thinking of making and keeping low carb sweets around as "treats" for my kids and hubby so that if I feel like eating one Im not falling totally off the wagon. What do you guys think? Of course I plan to make/bake these treats since I don't trust processed food for the most part. I'm not the greatest baker so if any of y'all know some easy to make, low carb treats I can serve to family I would appreciate the links. Please no keto bombs since my family does not eat low carb all day, fat bombs will make them fat lol. Thank you!

Replies

• KetoGirl83
    KetoGirl83 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I'm not one to bake so I can't help there.

When I crave sweets it's the cool, crisp sweet of fruit I want. Do your kids like fruit? That's still the healthiest sweet they can eat, I think, and if you slip occasionally with a bit of fruit it won't be terribly bad.

My desserts are either dark chocolate or some unsweetened greek yogurt+fruit (berries)/coffee/cocoa/coconut. Not sure it would satisfy the sweet tooth of someone not LC but I love the cool, smooth texture.

::flowerforyou::
  • PamamaJane
    PamamaJane Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    FAT BOMBS to the rescue.

Don't let the lack of sugar in fat bombs fool you into thinking they won't satisfy a sweet tooth. The only real problem with these is in not eating them all at once.

• genmon00
    Options
    My kids love fruit especially the really sweet ones like grapes, bananas, and watermelon. As a diabetic I have to really watch the fruit :( but i love it. @PamamaJane I have all the ingredients for fat bombs just afraid to make them lol
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    When doing fruit things, use just enough fruit to be visible, fill in the flavor gap with extracts. Use 1/4 of an apple with apple extract or whatever...

I just saw low carb strawberry shortcakes. Lots of almond flour recipes. Don't have to be super high fat if you leave off parts of it (like less cream for them, less almond cake for you, etc.)...
  • Red13
    Red13 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Look up mug cake recipes, there are low carb lists out there too made with coconut or almond flour, everyone can pick their own ingredients since they are single serve and that way you don't have leftovers sitting around
  • froyseef
    froyseef Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Dear genmon00
    My hubby is also a carb loving, sweet toothed, just right guy. He eats Ketogenic with me, plus any sweets he desires.
    I make a Sugar Free Jello Fluff for my refreshing dessert. No baking. Just jello dissolved in 1 cup boiling water. When cool and thickening, add to 1 package low carb cream cheese. Spoon into serving size dishes.
    Another no bake fav is Sugar Free jello dissolved in 1 cup boiling water. Cool til thickening.
    1 Cup heavy whipping Cream or low carb Cool Whip and 1 package low carb cream cheese.
    Beat together and put into pie pan.
    Chill for 2 hours. Cut into eight pieces. Very light, refreshing and delicious. Flavors are fun!
    Great to share the journey with you.
  • bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    http://www.ruled.me has a selection of recipes for baked goods - I'm not a huge fan and won't probably ever have a "low carb" pantry shelf devoted to alternative baking items - so I haven't tried any of them myself, but these recipes get rave reviews. Some are simple like a bun made in a mug, some are more fancy.
  • bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    LolUpdate: I have now succumbed to having a "low carb" pantry shelf with baking stuff in it :(

I gave in and decided to start trying out recipes for pancakes, crackers, muffins, mug cakes, etc.
  • genmon00
    Options
    Lol I have one too and guess what?? I'm still a terrible baker lol although I do make a mean mug cake :D