Chicken skin nutrition

Options
Bonny132
Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
I eat a lot of chicken, some days I do take the skin off it to avoid getting over my fat goal for example, but I prefer to leave it on if it fits into my goals.

When I take the chicken skin off, I do not throw it away, I generally freeze it after chopping it up in smaller pieces and freeze them. Later I will slow fry these over low heat till really crispy and eat the crispy skin as add ons to salads, soup garnish and also garnish for omelettes and various chicken dishes. The fat I save, it is sifted, put in a jar and left in the fridge for up to a week, to be used to cook with.

I have googled high and low and I am a bit stuck, most websites tells me the following:

portion cals fat prot carbs
100.00 450.00 40.30 20.20 0.00

Question: when I divide the crispy skin from the fat left over after slowly frying the chicken skin crisp, is it safe to assume each totals 50% of the calories and fat as above (I presume all the protein is in the skin itself)? Or should I divide these up differently somehow?

I use the actual chicken fat to cook with, chicken, eggs, omelettes etc tastes so much better cooked in chicken fat, and it also adds great flavour to home made chicken soup too. I also use part of both when I make my home made chicken liver pate.

Thank you in advance for the help on this one.

Replies

• dmariet116
    dmariet116 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Hmmm. Interesting question. Following out of curiosity!
  • Kirstie155
    Kirstie155 Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I dont know the answer to your nutrition question, but just wanted to pipe up and say that saving the skins and frying them sounds like heaven, and if I can resist eating it all right when the chicken is cooling on the oven, I might be able to try your amazing idea!!
    Chicken skin is one of my favorite things <3 nomnomnom
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Have you compared entries for "skin on" and "skinless"? The difference would be the values for skin. You could then make your own custom entry.

Chicken entries seem to have some of the most widely-varying values out of all the food in the database, even the green checkmark ones.

In the end, it doesn't matter how accurate any particular entry is, but about how consistent you are in using that entry.
  • toadqueen
    toadqueen Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I eat this all the time. 1 oz = 137 cal, 15g of fat; 4 g of saturated fat - look up "gribenes" in the food diary. Super yummy! There is a specialty poultry market not too far from me that I bought some skin from in the past. I am going to see if they also sell turkey and duck skin.
  • Kirstie155
    Kirstie155 Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    toadqueen wrote: »
    I eat this all the time. 1 oz = 137 cal, 15g of fat; 4 g of saturated fat - look up "gribenes" in the food diary. Super yummy!
    Oh. Mah. Gerd. Want!!!
  • bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I FOOKIN LOVE CHICKEN SKIN