OT: Have you (will you)....?

Options
beachwoman2006
beachwoman2006 Posts: 1,214 Member
Yay, our first OT (off-topic -- for those who are new and don't know some of our "lingo" from the WW boards).

Have you watched the coverage of the Republican National Convention and/or will you be watching the coverage of the Democratic National Convention?

This is NOT a place to spew your political feelings. I'm just wondering if I'm the only person who isn't interested in these. I did not watch a single minute of the RNC and don't plan to watch the DNC.

I'm just waiting for college (and pro) football season to start!

Replies

• Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I'm avoiding all election coverage like the plague. I'll still vote but I follow the South Park mantra of politics-you have to choose between a douche and a turd.
  • myallforjcbill
    myallforjcbill Posts: 5,552 Member
    Options
    The negativity and showmanship, along with the options offered have discouraged me. I am ignoring it the best I can, except for shedding an occasional tear
  • goldenfrisbee
    goldenfrisbee Posts: 1,640 Member
    Options
    Ignoring it. I like what Rachel said.
  • linmueller
    linmueller Posts: 1,354 Member
    Options
    I'm not watching either! I find politics to be somewhere between a joke and frightening these days. I'm sticking my head in the sand as often as possible. And I agree that football can't come soon enough! Especially since the Red Wings will also take the ice around that time :)
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 7,996 Member
    Options
    Always thought the conventions were a bore.
    This race is the worst I've ever seen, and I've been "engaged" since JFK's run.
    Agree with South Park (although I've avoided that show like the plague).
  • beachwoman2006
    beachwoman2006 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Rachel0778 wrote: »
    I'm avoiding all election coverage like the plague. I'll still vote but I follow the South Park mantra of politics-you have to choose between a douche and a turd.

LOL...couldn't have said it better!
  • crewahl
    crewahl Posts: 3,861 Member
    Options
    No. It's a show, and it's not even a reality show; it's more of an infomercial. I generally don't make my decisions based on informercials.

And yes - without getting into politics, I'm going to have to hold my nose when I vote in the fall.
  • savignr
    savignr Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I've watched a little of it, but only because I was too lazy to turn the channel after the show I had been watching ended. A pretty sad commentary on our times.
  • glennowill
    glennowill Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Hell no! I know you said this is not a place to spew my political feelings, but I can't help but promote my candidate of choice:

g1nwchzffi2w.png

Giant Meteor will end discrimination, corruption, and gun violence, just to name a few issues. Vote Giant Meteor!!

But in all seriousness, I really wish we could just try the primaries over again.
  • imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 5,971 Member
    Options
    Yes I have and no I won't no further comment nuff said and yes waiting to see if Falcons will do any better.
  • jbrack381us
    jbrack381us Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Fully agree with not watching a minute of the NCs. Also counting down the minutes as it will be less than a week until my Chiefs start training camp, with my MU Tigers to follow soon after with their new head coach.
  • MICHGOLFER2
    MICHGOLFER2 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Nope - not watching at all.
  • countcurt
    countcurt Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Not watching much. And I know beachwoman won't like my injecting politics into this thread, but I really don't care what she thinks about it. Here goes:

I absolutely, positively, unabashedly, unreservedly will be voting this fall for Pat Paulsen. There is no doubt his time has finally come. He is the perfect 45th President of the United States.

That is, if he is still alive. Anybody know for sure?
  • MICHGOLFER2
    MICHGOLFER2 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    There is a clip from Third Rock From the Sun - voting anguish - that pretty much sums up how I feel about this election.
  • luckynumber4
    luckynumber4 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    As folks have so far only spoken up on one side here, I'll speak for the other: yes, I'm watching both the RNC and the DNC. It's painful at times and I can't stand to watch it all (I am squarely in the DNC camp), I do think it's important to be informed and understand how each side positions itself.

I recognize they are a circus; they are designed that way. The delegates are the true believers and it's a place where politicians are celebrities. I volunteered for the DNC when it was in my town (my job was to take care of the entire delegation from Oregon) and it was an amazing experience. Politics felt much more real, much closer to home. And I got to see a then-new Senator from Chicago give a speech that was electrifying. I'll never forget it.

The showmanship can be tough to swallow. But I consider it a civic duty to stay informed so I vote for policies and not just personalities.
  • minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Not watching; just hand-wringing and lamenting. I think glennowill's onto something with the meteor though!
  • steve0mania
    steve0mania Posts: 2,966 Member
    Options
    I've been watching bits and pieces. It feels the same as slowing down to look at a car crash.
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,092 Member
    Options
    No and no. OK got a few seconds of bits and pieces but avoiding them.