So, here's the complicated version...

Options
Of what the doctors told me yesterday.
As it turns out, the pancreatic fistula is not at the tail of my pancreas, but more toward the middle, closer to the head. The drain goes under my colon to the outside of my left side.
The surgery would remove all the damaged pancreas starting where the drain is. Since it's impossible to do this without shredding(his words) the spleen, they remove the spleen. While they're working to get under the colon, they could damage it (very, very rarely) which means they would have to resection it back together.
Since the spleen is being removed, I would have to have some vaccines before the surgery and every year for the rest of my life. Any fever in the future would require a trip to emergency, and telling them I have no spleen. This isn't as bad for adults as it is for children.
Since I wouldn't have much of a pancreas left(I only have 50%) now, I would more than likely be on insulin and digestive enzymes the rest of me life.
Immediately after the surgery, there will probably be a fluid collection that would require a drain for a few weeks, but it would be the last time.
So, after telling me all that, and both of us laughing about how the percentages never seem to favour me, we/they decided to try the stent first.
Putting in the stent can cause pancreatitis, but, again, it could be for the last time.

I did ask that, even though the ERCP is an outpatient thing, that they keep me in overnight to be sure there was no complications. HE said, he'll put a note on my file for the endoscopy people.
So that's that.

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    (hugs)

I wanted to mention that not having a spleen isn't too bad. I had mine removed about 25 years and have never had problems. No hospital visits ever. I may be a tad bit more likely to catch a cold if I am tired but that is it. I do make sure to get pneumonococcal (sp?) vaccine every few years but that is it. I don't bother with the yearly flu vaccines either - I found I got a bit sick from them so it wasn't worth it.

Try not to worry about the spleen bit if it comes to that.
  • judyvalentine512
    judyvalentine512 Posts: 927 Member
    Options
    Thanks nvmomketo. The way the doctor explained the whole spleen thing, I'm not that worried.I get a flu shot every year anyway, and my family doctor will give me any other shots I need. I'm sure, if we go ahead with this surgery, all will be well.
    Insulin for life is not big deal, lots of people do it and they've survived.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    :)
    Love your attitude. You've got a great approach to this. Best wishes. :)