Loose skin

Options
Daisyboohoo
Daisyboohoo Posts: 84 Member
Hi all,
Wow! What a great group. All the support has been fantastic.

I am just so excited about my surgery, and what really encourages me is to see all your weight loss. I saw 43 pounds and 246 pound, etc. etc. And every person and every pound they lost is so unique and I am sure you all must be so proud.
I have gone through lots of the past topics and one topic I have not seen (maybe I just missed it) is cosmetic surgery to get rid of all the excess skin after the weight loss?

Has it been necessary? Have you done it? Is it almost a must once you loose all your weight?

I total weight loss would be about 76kg (168pounds) so I can imagine there would be lots of extra skin after all this weight drops...

Replies

• annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I won't be able to have the surgery to remove excess skin-my insurance here won't cover it. The only place I really need it is my upper arms. Maybe TMI, but the chest area is deflated and I could use a lift there. Went from a 44DD to a 34B, and lots of loose skin there. I look like a shar pei dog. I have been told that the skin removal surgery is a great thing. If I could afford it, you bet I'd do it!
  • gspea
    gspea Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Having lost 112 ponds I have lose skin. The girls definitely need a lift 46DD to 38/36C. Bat wings - check. Have to be careful on really windy days may have unexpected liftoff! My knees are even wrinkly. But I am not sure I could do those surgeries. I will see. My sis says that if I get a bonus from work next year I should dot! I like how is spending my money. ????:laugh:
  • jmwolffyy
    jmwolffyy Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I need it too but won't be able to unless I can start saving my pennies. I am down about 102 lbs and still have about 38 or something like that to go. (My ticker knows, but I don't. LOL! And it's not exact, just where my surgeon and I agreed would be a good goal.) I am already very saggy in the belly, thighs, upper arms, and, well the girls haven't had as much luck as the others on here. I went UP a cup and a half because I lost well around the ribs but that just lets the fat bags hang farther down. :ohwell: I know, I know, TMI.

I've seen some folks say they have saved up and had it done and they are thrilled with the skin removal post-bariatric. Others have said that keeping hydrated, both internally and the skin itself, has helped them not be overly saggy. Since hydration is so important anyway, its worth a try, and maybe it will work for you!
  • melbogg
    melbogg Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    the bat wings are the worst!!!! Being 40+ with 3 kids I didn't expect my boobs or tummy to look that great now anyways, but I hate hate hate the arm flaps!
  • MaggyMaizy2
    MaggyMaizy2 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Oh my! My backside looks like I have a shar pei puppy hanging from each side! My thighs sway when I walk. And the other day I gave myself a concussion when brushing my teeth. LOL! But I would do it all over again in a heartbeat. The health benefits far outweigh the sags!

My sister's friend had skin removal surgery in Mexico. She was very happy with the results and the price. Me? I'm 55 and can live with the sags.
  • BringingSherriBack
    BringingSherriBack Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I have lost 147 pounds and still could stand to lose about 25 more. I have a lot of loose skin. I would love to have a complete lower body lift plus a breast lift and have my batwings fixed. Probably never gonna happen since insurance will not cover any of it and as a single mom I don't have the means to self-pay.
    My arms and upper thighs are the worst, but my belly, hips and butt are pretty saggy. I was really worried when I re-entered the dating scene after my divorce, but I've never had anyone say Eww or make me feel bad about how my body looks but then I am generally upfront and tell them that I have had gastric sleeve surgery and lost 147 pounds. This generally comes up on the first date because I eat so little. lol
    I wear tank tops and shorts and all and feel pretty good about myself so that's all that matters. I figure the loose skin is way better than the fat that I had before losing the weight. At least now I can say I look pretty damn good with my clothes on anyway. lol :P
  • happpyhappyjoyjoy
    happpyhappyjoyjoy Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Just had some surgery this past year. I got a "breast reduction" call it that and insurance doors open- that is if you qualify. There is a criteria. Rash under boobs, back pain, bra straps digging into your shoulders and a few more that I didn't have. I lost 15 inches in my boobs and it was like my bra was full of swimming skin in the bra. Sorry to be so gross. I first asked for a breast lift and was turned down by my insurance (it wasn't what I needed anyway) but then I heard that it was the breast reduction that I needed and they paid! I did meet three of the criteria for the surgery. Even with the weight loss I had bad back pain.

The next thing I just had done was a tummy tuck. I had to have a filir-de-lills ( I know I misspelled that) it means that they had to do a vertical incision as well as the one in the bikini area bc of the amount of weight I lost and all the skin.

I would love to get my neck done (lost three inches there) but no way will my insurance company will pay for that. My surgery was more than 11 years ago and it took me this long to get these surgeries done. I still need more but I just can't afford it. I'm thrilled with the results!

Good luck!
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Yep I've got loose skin. I've been working out during my weight loss and it does help some but won't work miracles. I lift weights and do other strength training stuff but when you loose 146 pounds and have been obese your entire 49 years your skin isn't going snap back. I have a plastic surgery consult the end of this month. My insurance won't pay for plastics so I will be self pay. I am not for sure where the $$ will come from but I would like to have some things done. My upper arms bother me the most since clothes can cover most of the rest. I would like to also have my tummy, upper thighs and butt and boobs done too. I added up the cost to have all of that done and my upper arms and it was close to $38000! My WLS program has a program called Bari Plastics where after you have lost your weight and have maintained and been compliant with all their rules, labs and went to all appointments they will refer you to the Bari Plastics program. I was referred a couple weeks ago after my 1 year post op appointment in June. The prices are discounted for the Bari Plastics program and there is no overnight stay at the hospital unless needed and then you need to add $450 a day onto the price. If complications arise you have to remember your insuranance won't pay for that too since Plastics is a self elected surgery. What scares me the most about plastic surgery is the drains and then complication rates!
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I am 5 years post-RNY and have lost and kept off 200 pounds. I had tons of loose skin. I'd guess over 80% of us have enough loose skin to warrant plastic surgery. It is what it is. Nothing can prevent it. Many people learn to live with it, but that was not me. It messed with me mentally. I had to figure out a way to get plastic surgery. A year out, I had my arms done. Arms are relatively inexpensive to fix (mine were $3900) and I could hide the rest with shapewear. At 3 years out, I had a lower body lift and breast lift. I had saved part of the cost and financed the rest.

It's all about choices. If you want plastic surgery, make a plan to get your credit score up and/or save. I am a single mom living on a modest teacher's salary. I managed to pay for 2 very expensive international adoptions and a ton of plastics. If I can do it, anyone can.
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,807 Member
    Options
    My doctor and the lap band site said not to do anything for 2 years after I have lost the weight. So far I have lost 94 pounds with 106 to go for my first goal. In the supoort group I went to the doctor there said that everytime we get a rash under the skin to go to the doctor and have it treated so there is a record, Then insurance will pay. I wish I could go to the burn center and donate the skin and they take it. I agree that losing the weight is the most important thing.
  • rumplesnat
    rumplesnat Posts: 372
    Options
    I have some, but it's not a huge deal to me. A lot of it has tightened up, even though I had doubts that it would because I have heard so many people say it doesn't. While I will never wear a bikini...and I'm FINE with that, I look damn cute in longer shorts and jeans and can rock a tank top. I'll take a little loose skin and stretch marks to morbid obesity any day!!! They are my battle scars and reminder of someplace I never want to be again. :smile:
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    In the support group I went to the doctor there said that every time we get a rash under the skin to go to the doctor and have it treated so there is a record, Then insurance will pay.

Most insurance companies will not pay.
  • katbirdinpa
    katbirdinpa Posts: 105
    Options
    yes I had to have a tummy tuck and did so in 2006. there was a lot of skin
  • Jamielynn_77
    Jamielynn_77 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I have some, but it's not a huge deal to me. A lot of it has tightened up, even though I had doubts that it would because I have heard so many people say it doesn't. While I will never wear a bikini...and I'm FINE with that, I look damn cute in longer shorts and jeans and can rock a tank top. I'll take a little loose skin and stretch marks to morbid obesity any day!!! They are my battle scars and reminder of someplace I never want to be again. :smile:

exactly! My doc told me that strength training will tighten some of it up, and I can live with the rest. I have lost about 127 pounds, and i have more bat wings than anything. If I would lift weights I know some of it would go away. But to be honest, I know what I have accomplished and I am satisfied with that! :smile: