ADA New LDL Comment?

Options
KnitOrMiss
KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
So check out what I just found on the American Heart Association's site...emphasis mine.

A high LDL-C level is associated with a higher risk for CVD. However, your LDL number should no longer be the main factor in guiding treatment to prevent heart attack and stroke, according to the latest guidelines from the American Heart Association. For patients taking statins, it’s important to work with your doctor to manage your LDL appropriately. A diet high in saturated and trans fats can raise your LDL cholesterol.

heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/Diabetes/WhyDiabetesMatters/Cholesterol-Abnormalities-Diabetes_UCM_313868_Article.jsp#.V5DUn_krLcs

While Saturated fats are still demonized, I can't tell whether it's the risk of both combined they're calling a risk - or each are a risk individually. Regardless, I feel like this statement offers some hope... The stuff about HDL and trigs is interesting, too.

Replies

• KarlynKeto
    KarlynKeto Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting that! Soooooo many people on statins based on high LDL only, and never once did their doc 'look under the hood' to determine actual risk. A step in the right direction!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Baby steps.

Peter Attia had a fairly recent post on cholesterol and CAD. The AHA needs to read his blog. ;)
    http://eatingacademy.com/