Gallbladder?

Options
TheGaudyMagpie
TheGaudyMagpie Posts: 282 Member
Has anyone else had their gallbladder out? Overall I'm recovering well but I'm having bathroom issues in the morning (I have to go right away after breakfast, no matter how much fat is in the meal). I've seen some info on bile acid malabsorption that is a problem you can have even with a gallbladder, but seems to be a potential side effect of the removal. Does anyone else deal with this? It's a better problem to deal with than the pain and other issues I had, but it is inconvenient. I have almost no issues otherwise except for some indigestion if I eat too much fat later in the day, probably from slower gastric emptying. That's an issue that's easy to manage and actually helps keep me on track food-wise.

Replies

• dimple_gal
    dimple_gal Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I had mine out over 20 years ago. Initially I had some issues with fatty, or more specifically greasy foods, but over time it my body adjusted and I don't even give it a second thought.
  • TheGaudyMagpie
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I eat a low fat diet currently, so no greasy foods, and especially not in the morning. I was previously told that I'd adjust, but this was an even worse problem before I had the GB out, and I'm seeing some stuff out there about the D variant IBS actually being this bile absorption issue (I had been seeing a gastro who was leaning toward the IBS Dx when my GB decided to get infected -- overall the issue has improved for me since surgery -- it's just the morning thing that's an issue). I'm wondering if the bile builds up overnight, which is why I have the issue in the morning and not later in the day. When I say "too much fat" I'm talking about 8 grams or so. I generally hit between 25-40 grams of fat a day at most.

Prior to surgery, it was mostly a morning issue as well, but without the urgency after eating.
  • TheGaudyMagpie
    Options
    Heard from the doctor. She's prescribing the drug for bile malabsorption so I guess she thinks it's that too. She says it will resolve, but this has always been an issue to some extent so I'm not so sure.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    good luck!
  • TheGaudyMagpie
    Options
    Took the first dose last night and it worked like a charm. So, in case this happens to anyone else, it's bile malabsorption. :) There's some anecdotal evidence that it also helps with weight loss because it prevents some fat absorption. So I'll be interested in seeing if that is the case. I guess I didn't realize how much the problem was impacting me because I feel much better in general today than I have in the past couple of weeks.
  • MerryOne00
    MerryOne00 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Same as @dimple_gal here. I had mine removed in 1998. No issues in recent history.
  • TheGaudyMagpie
    Options
    I do have a bile malabsorption issue which is pretty common after gallbladder removal. I take a bile sequestrant every day and have no issues as long as I take it. Some people need to take it forever, some people adjust. I haven't adjusted so far and I still need to take it.