Hi! I love keto!

Options
ominousdusk
ominousdusk Posts: 62 Member
Thanks for adding me. I just started keto last Saturday so only 5 days and I've already lost 4lbs! I only had cravings and hunger the first 2 days and now I feel great. I usually have to eat every 2 hours or I start shaking but today I forgot to eat lunch and didnt even realize it. I came under my calorie goal by 600 calories and I wasnt hungry which is crazy for me. (I happily ate some delicious chocolate fat bombs to fill that gap lol)
So keto is awesome!! Will it stay this easy the whole time? After trying meal planning and all different kinds of macro ratios, i feel like this is something I can actually stick with for my lifestyle and ease. Just worried things will get harder. I always seem to hit a plateau and fail.

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Thanks for adding me. I just started keto last Saturday so only 5 days and I've already lost 4lbs! I only had cravings and hunger the first 2 days and now I feel great. I usually have to eat every 2 hours or I start shaking but today I forgot to eat lunch and didnt even realize it. I came under my calorie goal by 600 calories and I wasnt hungry which is crazy for me. (I happily ate some delicious chocolate fat bombs to fill that gap lol)
    So keto is awesome!! Will it stay this easy the whole time? After trying meal planning and all different kinds of macro ratios, i feel like this is something I can actually stick with for my lifestyle and ease. Just worried things will get harder. I always seem to hit a plateau and fail.

If anything, it's only gotten easier for me. The biggest thing was getting used to actually prepping food, instead of just eating whatever fit into my calories years back.
  • TishaGettinFit
    TishaGettinFit Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    For me the only hard thing is making sure I keep enough of my foods ready for quick grab when hunger hits. I'm the only in the house who is LCHF and my kids and hubby have lots of junk that is hard to stay away from sometimes but I'm learning what things to keep in the house to make it easier to stay on track. Congrats on your 4 lb loss!
  • Shadowmf023
    Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    It certainly gets easier. As others have said, the only hard thing is food prep. Unless you're like me and you just grab whatever, 2 hardboiled eggs a piece of cheese and ham and that's it. Lol. (Also platter style meals = life).

Another challenge for me personally is keeping sodium levels up. Because I have low blood pressure by nature, and keto reduces it even further, I need to be quite vigilant in keeping electrolytes balanced.

Congratulations on your loss! Remember not to give up when you stall or slow down for a while. The first lbs come off easily because it's water weight, and fat loss begins after that which is slower. :wink:
  • ProCoffeenator
    ProCoffeenator Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Hi! I just joined this group a day ago myself. I'm on day two of learning the ropes of Keto. I'm loving it. I had energy and was able to push myself to do an extra workout after work which hasn't happened in a while!
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    17 months, and counting, ketoer here!

The hunger will ebb and flow throughout the month (hormones are still a factor)! Keto helps with controlling that quite a lot (has for me!). Keep, on plan, foods available for these times!

Plateaus can happen with any woe! The key with them is to focus on how you feel, and your measurements (losing inches without weight loss is a "thing" to watch for!) too! Make the choice to not allow the number on that liar of a scale to dictate your food choices!

Congratulations on losing you first 4 pounds!
  • PamamaJane
    PamamaJane Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Will it stay this easy the whole time?

Congrats on the awesome initial loss! It does make it easier when you see those first pounds leave when it seems so effortless. How easy it stays has a lot to do with the mind games you will play with yourself.

Mind game #1. This is so darned easy it really won't hurt if I have that piece of chocolate birthday cake; after all I can get right back to LCHF and have it back off in a day or two. Besides, I've been so good don't I deserve a little treat?

Mind game #2. Well, I seem to have hit a plateau so if I'm not going to be losing anyway I might as well at least enjoy the stall.

Oh, there are many, many more mind games we all play with ourselves when the newness and novelty of this WOE start to wear off. I'm addicted to mind games. The cure for me is to spend time here in MFP (and I'm only active in this LCD group, not in the main forums) for inspiration and encouragement. Reminds me of the Beatles lyrics: I'll get by with a little help from my friends.

• noclady1995
    noclady1995 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I started eating keto 8 months ago and love it. I would say the hardest thing is making sure I drink enough water, maintaining my electrolytes (because like someone else, my BP also tends to run low). I'd say my hunger pangs vary depending on whether it is that time of the month. That's when cravings typically set in! But as long as I have a good keto-friendly snack on hand I'm ok. I've failed a few times but it's so easy to get back on the wagon with keto, for me. Good luck and congrats on your weight loss!
  • Shadowmf023
    Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    PamamaJane wrote: »
    Will it stay this easy the whole time?

Congrats on the awesome initial loss! It does make it easier when you see those first pounds leave when it seems so effortless. How easy it stays has a lot to do with the mind games you will play with yourself.

Mind game #1. This is so darned easy it really won't hurt if I have that piece of chocolate birthday cake; after all I can get right back to LCHF and have it back off in a day or two. Besides, I've been so good don't I deserve a little treat?

Mind game #2. Well, I seem to have hit a plateau so if I'm not going to be losing anyway I might as well at least enjoy the stall.

Oh, there are many, many more mind games we all play with ourselves when the newness and novelty of this WOE start to wear off. I'm addicted to mind games. The cure for me is to spend time here in MFP (and I'm only active in this LCD group, not in the main forums) for inspiration and encouragement. Reminds me of the Beatles lyrics: I'll get by with a little help from my friends.

But! But! Keto-chocolate cake! :lol:

Yesterday I googled how to make keto chocolate at home. Not recommended. You might make it entirely too much because its so dead simple. :sweat_smile:
  • PamamaJane
    PamamaJane Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/3_minute_chocolate_cake.html

Oh, believe me, I know how easy this is. This little cake piled high with whipped cream is one of my major downfalls. And the recipe says it makes two servings. That's a lie. It is only one serving in my house. It really isn't good if it sits for a while, so one serving only.

• Zenwenner
    Zenwenner Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Try this one - so easy and soo good!

The texture is just like a real "flour" cake - spongy and light. It's great with a little whipped cream on top, with berries, or just on its own. And best of all, at 5 net carbs, we can all have our cake and eat it too.

Ingredients
    •Cooking spray
    •1 egg
    •2 tbsp cocoa powder
    •2 tablespoons sugar substitute of choice (I used Splenda)
    •Pinch salt
    •1 tbsp heavy cream/almond milk
    •1/2 tsp vanilla extract
    •1/4 tsp baking powder

Directions

1.Spray the mug with cooking spray.

2.In a small bowl, beat the egg. Set aside. In a separate, slightly larger bowl, mix cocoa powder, sugar substitute, and salt. Add cream/milk, vanilla, and egg to the dry ingredients. Mix well. Add baking powder and mix again.

3.Firmly tap the mug on the counter to release any large air bubbles.

4.Cook for around 1 minute 20 seconds, depending on your microwave. The top of the cake should be solid. Flip cake onto a plate to cool.

5.Top with whipped cream or berries if desired.