My new favorite thing

Options
missholls910
missholls910 Posts: 27 Member
Prior to starting Keto, about 3 nights a week my boyfriend and I would go to the ice cream shop that he lives above. This became one of our favorite things to do. We would get our double scoop waffle cones and watch all of the people walking along south Broadway in Denver.

Obviously we had to find an alternative to this as double scoop waffle cones are not an option for me. So last night we decided to try out this tea place around the corner. And it was awesome! I had the lemon lavender loose leaf tea in a kettle. It was so relaxing! And instead of just sitting and people watching, we decided to jump on the Pokemon train and ended up walking 2 miles. Definitely much better than our double scoop nights! And it was cheaper too!

What are some of your new favorite things/rituals now that you are doing this WOE?

Replies

• carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,412 Member
    Options
    Phrick wrote: »
    bulletproof coconut chai tea. OMG. Heavenly. I don't even use sweetener in it anymore. I brew 10 bags of Good Earth's Sweet Chai of Mine tea in about 8 cups boiling water, then while it is still warm I stir in 1 can of full fat unsweetened coconut milk. Let it cool and store it in the fridge and when I need a fat bomb or in the morning when I want a bulletproof drink instead of breakfast, I have 10-12 oz of that with 1 Tbsp coconut oil (or coconut cream, if I have it), 1 Tbsp Brain Octane MCT oil, and 2 Tbsp HWC. Yeah, it has a couple carbs from the coconut milk and the cream but it also keeps me full for HOURS and I'm not trying to IF. It is an absolutely decadent way to start the day!

Hmmm wonder if I could do this with coffee :) I am in love with iced coffee right now!

• RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Just started this week - but loving it already - showing my kids a new way to cook. Even the oldest who thinks cooking means nuking a premade Thai bowl from the grocery.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    carlsoda wrote: »
    Phrick wrote: »
    bulletproof coconut chai tea. OMG. Heavenly. I don't even use sweetener in it anymore. I brew 10 bags of Good Earth's Sweet Chai of Mine tea in about 8 cups boiling water, then while it is still warm I stir in 1 can of full fat unsweetened coconut milk. Let it cool and store it in the fridge and when I need a fat bomb or in the morning when I want a bulletproof drink instead of breakfast, I have 10-12 oz of that with 1 Tbsp coconut oil (or coconut cream, if I have it), 1 Tbsp Brain Octane MCT oil, and 2 Tbsp HWC. Yeah, it has a couple carbs from the coconut milk and the cream but it also keeps me full for HOURS and I'm not trying to IF. It is an absolutely decadent way to start the day!

Hmmm wonder if I could do this with coffee :) I am in love with iced coffee right now!

@carlsoda For some reason, I was thinking this post had instructions for how to do iced coffee for later, etc., but it doesn't look right now...

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-egg-coffee/

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-egg-coffee-frappe/

Maybe one of these is better?

https://www.bulletproofexec.com/iced-bulletproof-coffee-recipe/

http://thepaleomama.com/2013/05/iced-bulletproof-coffee/
  • Shadowmf023
    Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Carrie_3 wrote: »
    My new favourite thing seems to be scouring the Internet for lchf recipes of all my favourite dishes. And shopping online for lchf goodies. (We don't have a lot of variety in this small little rural town with a bunch of dietary fat-phobic residents...)

I used to not cook a lot because I was just lazy and didn't like it, plus the effort wasn't appreciated. But now I'm making the effort to cook lchf meals for myself even if I have to cook a separate dinner for my dad.

I actually like it a lot! It's like learning to cook all over again! Just the right way this time!

YES! My new thing is putting more effort into cooking and exploring recipes. There is so much information I sometimes get too overloaded with ideas...lol.

Recipe overload and then you end up like me. Baking 4 low carb breads in 2 days, ending up having to freeze them because you won't be able to eat them fast enough. Lol
  • Zenwenner
    Zenwenner Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Last night I tried out "Cracklin Chicken" from Nom Nom Paleo's website, and OMG! It was so good. I made it in bacon fat instead of ghee, with my own seasonings, but every single one of my kids AND my husband thought it was great! There were absolutely no leftovers, which was kind of disappointing because I wanted to take some to work for lunch today!

Definitely a new fave.
  • McShorty7
    McShorty7 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Zenwenner wrote: »
    Last night I tried out "Cracklin Chicken" from Nom Nom Paleo's website, and OMG! It was so good. I made it in bacon fat instead of ghee, with my own seasonings, but every single one of my kids AND my husband thought it was great! There were absolutely no leftovers, which was kind of disappointing because I wanted to take some to work for lunch today!

Definitely a new fave.

It is some fantastic stuff for sure! I love her recipes...Have you tried her Kuala Pork?
  • Zenwenner
    Zenwenner Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    No, but I will take a look at it now that you've brought it up! Tonight is Keto Swedish Meatballs, which I am really looking forward to :)
  • dmariet116
    dmariet116 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Honestly, my new favorite thing is simplicity! I am not stressing about recipes or side dishes or anything about food prep. I buy meat, cheese, eggs, butter and hwc. Hubby has always been a meat eater so he really don't mind. If we eat out I just go for the fatty meats and maybe a side salad. My life is much easier not stressing about what to cook. I do end up shopping more though.... ;)
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    dmariet116 wrote: »
    Honestly, my new favorite thing is simplicity! I am not stressing about recipes or side dishes or anything about food prep. I buy meat, cheese, eggs, butter and hwc. Hubby has always been a meat eater so he really don't mind. If we eat out I just go for the fatty meats and maybe a side salad. My life is much easier not stressing about what to cook. I do end up shopping more though.... ;)

I'm totally the same! I'm not worried about trying to recreate carby foods, I'm happy to live without them. I'm all about tossing veggies and meat in a bowl with some creamy dressing for lunch and tossing meat and veg into a saute pan or soup pot for dinner. And I love having less dishes now that I'm not cooking rice, pasta, potatoes, etc. And if I just can't bring myself to cook, I can always grab some cheese and salami.
  • dmariet116
    dmariet116 Posts: 530 Member
    Options

@PaleoInScotland Isn't it wonderful!!!! It just makes eating what it should be...fuel for our bodies! I don't miss bread, desserts, rice, pasta so that makes it super easy.
  • bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    - Cooking my salmon in virgin coconut oil and making a sauce with the pan juice out of this and this

- KetoKarma.com's cream cheese pancakes with stevia-mashed thawed frozen strawberries (just an ounce) and melted butter on top

- LC pizza made from FlatOut light flatbreads - I make probably twice a month and can eat THE WHOLE PIZZA for about 10 g net carbs

- Now that it's winter...soup, soup, soup, and more soup! I have always been a soup fanatic, though. I'm going to attempt some LC chili soon. Have not done chili since starting keto, because...beans (always beans in my chili! Might be a Minnesota thing) But I found a great beefy chili recipe that might just fix me (will modify it to make it more keto, maybe less herbs, more fats, definitely fatty beef, like 73%, no maple syrup, no tomato paste, etc.).

- Steamed spaghetti squash w/homemade bolognese + melted cheese on top. I steam smaller squashes in the micro and make a big batch of sauce and can get several meals out of just one half squash. OR sauteed broccoli slaw sold in the bags, instead of the squash (heaven)!

- That, and cabbage fried in butter (or bacon fat) w/bacon pieces or smoked sausage, or hamburger + tomatoes + herbs.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    My new favorite thing is deviled eggs with garlic and horseradish. Previously deviled eggs were more of a special occasion food, but I have found that when I am busy they are the perfect quick snack or meal, so I've been making about 2 doz a week. I have also discovered the I love them with a bit of a bite!