August Goals Thread

Options
cmchandler74
cmchandler74 Posts: 510 Member
It's a little early but I'll be out of town later this week so I wanted to make sure it gets posted.

Can you believe the summer is almost gone? List 'em up!

Replies

• cmchandler74
    Options
    1. Still struggling to find a good balance with exercise for maintenance. Number one priority for this month.
    2. Water, water, water, water, water. The bad thing about living in the deep south is that my skin constantly feels dried out in summer.
    3. Making sure I don't fall into the "I'm done" mentality. This is a lifelong change and I don't want to get complacent.
  • metalmaiden63217
    metalmaiden63217 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I would like to...
    get more consistent with my vitamins
    Increase my water intake
    Start paying attention to macros
  • RENAEJAE
    RENAEJAE Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    August Goals

1. Maintain weight
    2. Watch calories closer by eating healthier snacks
    3. Strength Train 3x week
    4. Continue with Cardio 5x week
    5. Log before eating (especially dinner)
    6. Drink Tea instead of Coffee / increase water
  • Mandy_1982
    Mandy_1982 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    My August goals:

1. Log EVERYTHING that I eat
    2. More water intake
    3. Join a gym and start working out regularly
    4. More fruits/less carbs
  • Crossfitand5ks
    Crossfitand5ks Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    1. Stop being so hard on myself
    2. More water
    3. Less snacking
    4. Log everything I eat
    5. Start exercising religiously
    6. Increase my protein
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Ultima_Morpha Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    1. Complete at least two solid 13.1 mile runs this month.
    2. Strength training at least once per week.
    3. Attempt to reduce the amount of protein shakes I'm drinking (per the wishes of the surgical practice)...but I do love them so much. I'm not 100% sure that I'm ready to commit.
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Options
    3. Attempt to reduce the amount of protein shakes I'm drinking (per the wishes of the surgical practice)...but I do love them so much. I'm not 100% sure that I'm ready to commit.

Week 1 Check-in (31 Jul - 6 Aug)
    1. I ran a light week...a bit more than 30 miles in preparation for a 13 miler today (I did it!).
    2. Did my strength training. 1.5 hours...and nearly an hour on my bike too.
    3. I skipped a couple of shakes this week. I'm going to have a hard time with this one!
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Options

1. I ran a light week...a bit more than 30 miles in preparation for a 13 miler today (I did it!).
    3. I skipped a couple of shakes this week. I'm going to have a hard time with this one!

Week 2 Check-in (7 - 13 Aug)
    1. I started the week with a 13.12 mile run on Sunday and completed the week with around 35 miles total.
    2. Just one session of strength training (yoga). Due to work schedule I ended up with two full rest days this week.
    3. Skipped some shakes again. Making the ones I do have last longer. Still drinking some protein powder in my coffee...because yummy.
  • sexygatubela77
    sexygatubela77 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    1. Get over this evil pre-op diet! I've been low carb for almost 8 months and I'm used to having protein shakes everyday, but this *kitten* sucks!
    2. Survive surgery!
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Options

1. I started the week with a 13.12 mile run on Sunday and completed the week with around 35 miles total.
    2. Just one session of strength training (yoga). Due to work schedule I ended up with two full rest days this week.
    3. Skipped some shakes again. Making the ones I do have last longer. Still drinking some protein powder in my coffee...because yummy.

Week 3 Check-in (14 - 20 Aug)
    1. It was a rough week. Only managed one run. The weather and strep throat/bronchial infection conspired against me.
    2. See number 1. Fail.
    3. Skipped shakes on several days and mixed smaller/weaker shakes when I did have them. I'm not sure that I'm willing to give them up...
  • cmchandler74
    Options
    1. It was a rough week. Only managed one run. The weather and strep throat/bronchial infection conspired against me.
    2. See number 1. Fail.
    3. Skipped shakes on several days and mixed smaller/weaker shakes when I did have them. I'm not sure that I'm willing to give them up...

Yikes! Hope you're feeling better this week.
  • Mandy_1982
    Mandy_1982 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Mandy_1982 wrote: »
    My August goals:

1. Log EVERYTHING that I eat
    2. More water intake
    3. Join a gym and start working out regularly
    4. More fruits/less carbs

-I've been doing OK with logging all my food. I need to work on it.
    -I've been lapsing on the water the past couple days. I'll do better tomorrow.
    -I joined a gym and was doing well until this week. Feeling sluggish. Ugh.
    -Still need to work on fruits/carbs. Again, I'll do better tomorrow.

I need to kick my butt into gear, seriously.
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Options

2. See number 1. Fail.

Week 4 Check-in (21 - 27 Aug)
    1. So I'm not going to manage both 13.1 mile runs this month...but I did log 57.6 miles this week. That's a new personal distance milestone!
    2. I did manage both some yoga and kettlebells this week.
    3. Still managing to skip the occasional shake but I was definitely fighting the munchies this week. I won most of the time...

I'm having a hard time settling on a plan for September. I have several business trips and the schedule disruption always throws me off.
  • anbrdr
    anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Holy hell, how do you run so far?! I hit a personal best of 4.7 miles the other day, and around mile 3 I started gassing out. Very large hills though. Trying to improve on every run.
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Options
    anbrdr wrote: »
    Holy hell, how do you run so far?! I hit a personal best of 4.7 miles the other day, and around mile 3 I started gassing out. Very large hills though. Trying to improve on every run.

@anbrdr

I started out slow and set the goal that I had to either run faster or longer each week. I trained for my first 5k run entirely on the treadmill and elliptical.

Some days it is just okay to run, some days I had to deliver performance. Every few weeks I would just feel like I could do more and I push myself over into a new distance.

Adding yoga and strength training definitely helped.

I have to avoid being too carb-phobic. Of course, I avoid added sugars but I had to make peace with eating fruits, starchier vegetables, and whole grains in reasonable amounts. It is still a work in progress.

Lol...I'm also angry about a few things. I use that to spur me on some mornings. I work things out in my head and avoid saying things that I should not!
  • anbrdr
    anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I started the same run path, but in a different location, taking on the monster hills first. Completed the entire lap without stopping. I love progress! I agree with the head clearing mentality. It's like a therapy session, and has the added benefit of removing my innate stress.

Cutting the carbs, or at least minimizing them IS hard, but the results are worth it. I still get the cravings for a bite of bread, or for a cookie. Most of the time I can be good and find an alternative. Just mind the fruits, most of them are pure carbs. I do occasionally give in to a treat every now and then, usually beer.
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Options
    @anbrdr...I was going to suggest taking the hills first! My routes are flat/small elevation changes but there are a couple of loops that I have a huge mental block with. I used to have to knock them out early in my run or I just couldn't face them.

Although I still get some cravings, I've managed to create some low/no added sugar alternatives that keep it in check as well as find dark chocolate that fits the bill in portion controlled packages. I make homemade whole milk yogurt; 100 grams of that with a spoonful of Aldi's No Sugar Added Raspberry Preserves (and sometimes a little peanut butter) is an amazing treat!

My surgeon is a vegan and, aside from the pre-surgical prep and initial healing period, advocates a diet of vegetables, fruits, legumes, pulses, and whole grains. He would like nothing more than for me to completely cut out the protein shakes and bars...but I rely heavily on them to keep me on track when I am on business trips and have limited options.

I have no intention of becoming a vegan, but our family meals have become even more plant centric and we control our intake of meat more carefully. I needed to increase my carbohydrate intake to fuel my runs but I focus on getting them from steel cut oats, beans, fruits, and vegetables. Potatoes, unfortunately, are my kryptonite...they have to remain on the "no fly" list. Luckily, I make awesome mashed cauliflower that is a perfectly acceptable substitute for me!