Flax Meal

Options
SuperCarLori
SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
So far I've made two muffins (carrot cake-esque) and a loaf of bread. While the calories are high, I feel like it will help on those days when I'm missing out on sandwiches....

Does anyone have any experiences to share, good or bad? I'm still amazed that I can have any type of bread or muffin...I'm making crackers next.

Replies

• Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Only good experiences! Love flax meal.

Couple recipes:

I like the Keto Flax Focaccia at Healthful Pursuit

I also make flax hot cereal with eggnog & chia seeds in the winter - originally got the recipe from a site that is defunct now but I copied the recipe:

Gather
    • 13g (2 Tbsp) ground flax seeds
    • ½ cup almond milk (or milk of your choice)
    • 180g / ¾ cup liquid egg whites, or the whites of ~4-5 whole eggs
    • 45g (3 Tbsp) pumpkin puree
    • 1¼ teaspoons cinnamon
    • 1 teaspoon nutmeg
    • ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
    • Sweetener of choice, to taste

Prepare
    1. Place ground flax seeds, milk, egg whites, pumpkin, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a small sauce pan on medium heat.
    2. Use a whisk to combine and continue to whisk until mixture thickens, approximately 5-7 minutes.
    3. Once mixture is near desired thickness, add vanilla and sweetener.
    4. Pour into your bowl and sprinkle a little additional cinnamon over the top.
    5. If you would like, add desired toppings such as: chopped nuts, nut butter, vanilla Greek yogurt, chopped apple, sliced banana, a few chocolate chips, etc.

Notes
    - You can substitute 1½ teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice for the cinnamon and nutmeg.
    - I prefer to use liquid whites so the yolks don’t get wasted.
  • SuperCarLori
    Options
    Awesome awesome AWESOME! thank you!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    http://www.ruled.me/low-carb-focaccia-bread/ is the one that I made. Still working my way through the batch I made last week. The only issue that I've had with it, is that oil seepage starts to become apparent after a few days, and the bread starts to feel kinda slimy on the outside.
  • SuperCarLori
    Options
    Yeah, I'm noticing that on the bread I made yesterday, but flax is pretty glutinous, so I'm not surprised. It's really salty, so I'll try the foccacia bread next
  • bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I bought a bag of ground flaxseed meal in the hopes of trying the recipe below because although I don't miss breads in general, I do miss rye bread!

It's all directly quoted from somewhere and I can't find the source anymore (I had it saved in Google Keep for awhile)

Rye flax crax - Original recipe from source unknown:
    I figured out this recipe to get more fiber in my diet as well as help with my craving for rye toast.

Serves 16
    2 cups flax meal
    1 cup broth (or water)
    Salt and pepper to taste
    2 Tbsp caraway (rye) seeds

Mix all, it will have a play dough consistency. Press or roll it very thin (cracker thin), cut it into large squares, space them out a bit, and bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes until it looks dry. Then turn off the oven, and let it sit in the hot oven until cracker dry. If it is a humid day, you may need to warm the oven occasionally. I will often let them set all night. It will depend on their exact size, but mine are about two inches long by two inches wide, and after fiber is subtracted, come to around one carb per cracker. They are really good with guacamole.

Nutrition data in image.

04ogwc8d6lmw.jpg
  • VKetoV
    VKetoV Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    It's the only way I know how to make low carb pancakes...lol. 3 simple ingredients: flaxseed meal + whole eggs + olive oil (optional, gives a moist cake-like texture).
  • bjwoodzy
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Flax seed meal is bitter to me for pancakes, but fine for say, savory crackers, IMHO. I use the KetoKarma.com recipe which is 2 whole eggs, 1 oz cream cheese, 1 tsp vanilla, some salt, and a little baking powder (and I add 2 tbsp almond flour to mine, to make them taste a bit less "eggy").
  • SuperCarLori
    Options
    Hey super bad *kitten*!!!!
    I haven't used flax in awhile, looks like maybe I should make some crackers. Without the caraway though. I'm not a rye fan. But thank you guys soooooo much!!
  • bjwoodzy
    Options
    Hey super bad *kitten*!!!!
    I haven't used flax in awhile, looks like maybe I should make some crackers. Without the caraway though. I'm not a rye fan. But thank you guys soooooo much!!

Let us know if you try out any recipes!
  • bjwoodzy
    Options
    Did you ever make those low carb parmesan crackers I told you about?

They turned out FAB

http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/2016/10/low-carb-parmesan-cheese-crackers.html
  • SuperCarLori
    Options
    No, but the day is young!! :)